View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Rather Upset

Disaster!

I just spent the most frustrating evening with X2 and now I’m completely fed up. I had an hour long session on the game, during which I overwrote three previous savegame slots. I stopped for a break and when I returned none of today’s save games were accessible. Attempting to get into any of them crashed me back to the desktop with either a message about the save game possibly being corrupt, or no message at all.

I tried to load one of my old 1.2 saves and that was not a problem, but my 1.3 saves had all gone pear shaped. I don’t understand this because as you know I’ve been playing and saving with 1.3 for a few days now and up to this point I’ve not had a problem.

I tried playing again from my latest 1.2 and saved at the earliest opportunity, low and behold my new save game crashed to the desktop.

In desperation I went to uninstall the game, kissing all my progress (not much admittedly by some of your standards) goodbye and beginning again from scratch. On the plus side it would mean that I got the chance to view the opening animations in a smoother format, as they are upgraded by 1.3 as well. I also reasoned that perhaps the problem lie in some of the save games being 1.2 while others were 1.3, so I decided to patch the new install from the off.

Interestingly the game refused to uninstall, saying that I had to install the program before I could uninstall it. I tried to do it through “add/remove programs” instead and sure enough “X2” was not on the list to select. In the end I had to manually delete it out of “Program Files.”

But horror!!! On reinstalling, patching and saving as soon as the intro stuff let me, I found that I was not able to access the save game! Same problem.

I reinstalled AGAIN! But this time left the version as vanilla 1.2 Saved at the beginning, quit and tried to access the savegame. I was straight in with no problems.

Came out and patched to 1.3 Went back in again with no problems on my last save. Flew to Home Of Light and saved at Terracorp HQ. Quit the game and tried to reload the Terracorp 1.3 save….. Crash to desktop!!

I spend two hours in all messing about with this, uninstalling, installing, patching and I’ve had enough now! I don’t understand what changed that I was suddenly unable to go back into my saves. 1.3 has not been a problem up to now.

I can deal with having to start again from scratch. It’s frustrating but it’s not the end of the world. But now I’ve tasted the faster 1.3 framerate, which made all the difference to the game play on my antique machine, I just can’t go back to 1.2

Unless one of you guys can help me I’m going to have to shelve X2 against the day when I hopefully get to upgrade to a better system. But I won’t hold my breath for that. We just sold my lovely car for £1500.00 (Today) but the money is going on furniture. Goodness knows when I’ll have that kind of money in my hand again.

I’m really po’d about this and this is why I hate computers! When things like this happen I have a very small repertoire of things I can try. Often the solution falls within these narrow parameters, but on the occasions when it doesn’t, I’m ....<snip> (Edited uncharacteristic language)

Sorry to get upset guys… I was so pleased that the thing ran on my old warhorse to begin with and now I feel let down and stupid to not have a clue how to fix it.

Badger

Last edited by Badger on Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:54 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I wonder if you grabbed the US patch for a European version?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:31 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I can't do any better than dte's idea, I'm afraid.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:11 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Have you tried the tech forums at egosoft?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:23 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks for the suggestions and very sorry for the bleeped language. I should have waited till this morning to ask the question when I wasn't quite so wound up about my own technical limitations. I've edited that bit out.

It's possible I suppose that the patch was the US version. I didn't download it you see, it was done for me by a friend with broadband and sent onto me in the post. But in my limited experience the wrong patch would not have updated the program in the first place, yet I have been happily playing and saving with 1.3 for days. Why the sudden change?

One thing I did wonder about overnight... it's been a week since I last played and in that time I have installed an older game. (The Nomad Soul.)

Do you think that this subtly altered my system somehow? But in what way altered, if the vanilla game is not a problem and only 1.3 falls down.

I've not been to Egosoft yet Corwin, I hoped that I might find my answers among friends and family before going there. I will do that though if no one has any other ideas.

Yours with a (washed his mouth with soap) stripe
Badger
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:08 am
Dhruin

Until Egosoft's server melted under the load, only registered users could download the patch and it selected the right version for you, based on the CD key. With this in mind, they might not have bothered with the customary version checking. Just a thought.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:09 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Another item of note, when you installed that old game, did it install anthing else with it? Like, did it prompt you to install an older version of DirectX, etc? And did you install it?

X2 may share another program with it.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:54 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

X2 makes use of windows media player quite a bit... if something else monkeyed around with windows media player there could be a problem.

Beyond that... I'd say check the tech support forums/ask tech support for a hand. I've heard of it crashing if the patch was somehow incomplete (I guess there was a corrupted version available for download for a bit...).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:33 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks guys.

Nomad Soul might have as you say have messed around with Windows Media or Direct X. I just don't know.

It seems strange though that the game proper would not be affected in either of these circumstances, rather than just the ability to claim save games.... and only the 1.3 save games at that.

Oh... and the patch is the UK version dte, but good thinking.

I've emailed Egosoft support and put all these theories forward, so we'll just have to see what they say. I noticed in the FAQ o their site, that some people are suffering from crashes to desktop with 1.3 "when they try to save." Not quite the same as not being able to go back into a save.... but close enough for me to hold out a little hope that it's not just me.

Till I hear more though I'm afraid the "Heart of Gold" will have to stay in dry dock. The extra frame rate made such a difference to the gameplay that I can't go back to 1.2 now.

This is such a disappointment.

Anyone have a spare 3.2 P4 machine with a Meg of ram that they can donate to a worthy Badger? We're an endangered species you know.

Badger
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:30 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Badger
Anyone have a spare 3.2 P4 machine with a Meg of ram that they can donate to a worthy Badger?

Sure you wouldnt prefer a Gig?
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:53 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'm sure he would, but Gig hasn't visited RPGDot in several weeks.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:18 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Ouch dte! But then, that was a rather Badger-ish remark

PS - I am just jealous that you posted it before I could
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:30 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Poor Badger
I hope they figure something out for you!
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:42 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Have you considered sending your save game to someone else with X2 to see if they can open it? Perhaps it is the savegame that is corrupted?

-vaticide
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:32 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Thanks Val, fingers crossed.

Nah Vat, it's all 1.3 saves not just one. It's any existing 1.3 saves and if I was to load up a 1.2 save, (which I can) and contine from there, the first time I save again with 1.3 it will be unloadable. This has repeated now through 3 installs and I haven't bothered putting it back on again this time.

If Egosoft can't sort it (no reply as yet) then I'll either wait until I get my paws on a system upgrade. (Probably a couple of years) Or I'll wait until I forget how much better 1.3 was, and play it again as 1.2.

Anyway... it's history now. I'm already deciding what to install into the gap it has left.... maybe "Republic the Revolution"? (Pressie from last year )
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:41 pm