View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Guess you should have bought the Collectors Edition too

*runs n hides!*
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:01 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

In the long run, I think that the level scaling design decision will be viewed as a major flaw for this game. The hype is drowning out the criticisms right now. I haven't seen a game come out with a wave of high review scores and raving, blind fanboyism since the original Halo. Remember how in the early days, nobody talked about Halo's crappy Library level? After a while, people started to take notice of it. Now it's widely regarded as a very crappy part of an otherwise great game. Same idea here.

I don't care how easy Morrowind supposedly got or how many exploits it had. Oblivion goes all the way in the opposite direction and that is just as bad. Being able to become the Arena Grand Champion at level 3 because of scaling is just as bad as becoming the Arena Grand Champion at level 3 because you stumbled onto some ridiculously powerful item. The scaling completely destroys the carrot-and-stick mechanism that drives any RPG and, in my opinion, it will be viewed in a couple of years as a big drawback of this game.

And for the record, I think that people have overexaggerated how easy it was to exploit Morrowind. Maybe after you already played the game once or twice. But your first run through, you didn't know where to find exploits, and at low levels, you couldn't easily survive the hardest dungeons so that you could find the best loot. The random encounters with Cliff Racers and crabs got too easy, but Oblivion took care of that tedium with the fast travel option, so scaling all of the random encounters on top of that was totally unnecessary.
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:27 pm
Killerbee

i have heard rumors that u can get married in the game anyone found or don't anything to support that? just wondering thought it would be kinda funny.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:56 am

Come on people ...

Why, oh why are all you lot complaining about this brilliant game?! The tiniest things seem to upset you! This is a game that will surely pave the way for hundreds of others like it (like that stupid 'Gothic' series). It's one of if not THE BEST game I've ever played - and some of you are completely put off just because of a lockpicking mini-game! Just look at the game for what it truly is - a MASTERPIECE ...
Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:26 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3