Village Dweller
Village Dweller

New computer built, now what games?

I just built a new computer system:

AMD XP2800+ Barton
2x256 kingston ddr400
Radeon ATI 9800XT
Seagate SATA 120GB

but i find that there is no good new rpgs to play. I'm current playing FFX2 on my ps2 but there is nothing new to play on my PC. Ive been replaying Gothic 2 and the graphics look great with the 9800XT but i would really like to play something new.

Does anyone know of any good rpg or even mmorpg that will tie me over until WoW and Fable (for my XBOX) are released?

Oh, here are the RPGs i have (re)played recently:
KOTOR, Morrowind GoTY, Gothic 2, FFX2, Lionheart, PS: Torment, BG:DA2.

Cheers.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:52 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

No new CRPGs can challenge the power of you PC for a while. And it seem you already played almost if not all recommendable RPGs. Some upcomming titles are:

Sacred - March
Beyond Divinity - Q2 2004
The Bard's Tale - 2004
Restricted Arena - Q2 2004
Call of Cthulhu - Q4 2004
Vampire: The masquerade - Bloodlines - 2004

Others:
---------
The Fall: The last days of Gaia
The Bloody Magic
Dungeon Siege 2
Seal of Evil
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:18 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Have you tried Temple of Elemental Evil yet? Although it won't challenge the might of your computer, it's still a nice game. You could also try Spellforce, which is a RPG/RTS hybrid.

As for coming titles, The Fall seems pretty nice. And if you want more powerful titles (non RPG), there are UT 2004, HL 2 and D3.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:47 am
heavensblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am looking forward to the Bard's Tale and Sacred looks pretty good. On the non RPG front, Far Cry and Gran Turismo 4 are titles to look at.

quote:
Have you tried Temple of Elemental Evil yet?

Does anyone recommend this game? I saw it at EB but i dont know if its any good. I like Arcanum and Bloodline looks promising but i dont really like 3E rules eg NWN and POR (the exception being KOTOR).

Oh i get HL2 free when it comes out with a coupon from my 9800XT

Doe anyone recommend any good MMOGs ? I am on dial up ATM but my ADSL should be installed by the end of the week according to TPG customer support.
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:52 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I highly recomend ToEE. But it is not for everyone. I also dislike NWN and POR2. But I also thought the combat in KoToR was rediculously easy. ToEE has some challenging combat and combat is done very well. But if you are a story guy then you might want to pass on it. There is a demo available if you want to try it out.

For MMORPGs I have no recomendations, I don't like any of them except maybe AO.
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:52 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

From new RPGs or nearly RPGs, SpellForce could probably chalenge your new PC. If you turn everything on and details to maximum...
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:52 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Hmm, unless u havent tried it yet, I would reccomend Prince of Persia The Sands of Time - it a marvellous game, and certainly a challange to your PC.
Anyway, don't feed much hopes into HL2 to test your system, it will not be coming out (and that would be a real tragedy, not that I like it, but that would ruin Bloodlines, unless Troika decide to change the engine on time).
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:23 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Heavensblade,

I have noticed, and it is conpicuous by its absence, the lack of info'
missing from your hardware list, namely "the motherboard" which to me,
and you may/may not agree is the single most important item when making
a decision on which make/model/layout/chipset/maker-support/northbridge/southbridge integration/controller/multi-thread factor/etc' etc'.

This alone could be the make or break of your system, i'm not being too critical but just plain old "interested" in these things.
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:49 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Well, the only mmorpg I find attractive at the moment is Anarchy Online.
It's an older game so it won't challenge your new pc but it's the best mmorpg out there right now. (in my opinion at least)
Star Wars Galaxies will be really beautiful looking on your rig but as far as gameplay goes...well...I got bored really fast.
You might like it though, lots and lots of other people do so you never know.

The latest release of Unreal Tournament will probably be nice to look at and play around with your cpu and video power, eventhough it's not a rpg
And when HL2 and EQ2 hit the shelves you will probably be all set and ready to go.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:32 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

X^2 could give your rig a workout if you crank up the video options. Not certain if that sort of game would appeal to you, though.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:23 pm
heavensblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
I have noticed, and it is conpicuous by its absence, the lack of info'
missing from your hardware list, namely "the motherboard" which to me,
and you may/may not agree is the single most important item when making
a decision on which make/model/layout/chipset/maker-support/northbridge/southbridge integration/controller/multi-thread factor/etc' etc'.

I didnt think the MB would matter as much as the CPU and Video Card, any way my MB for those that are interested is an ASUS A7V600. The board has support for DDR400 and 8 USB2.0 ports but i only use 2.

quote:
Well, the only mmorpg I find attractive at the moment is Anarchy Online.
It's an older game so it won't challenge your new pc but it's the best mmorpg out there right now. (in my opinion at least)

I played AO about 3 months after its initially release and i enjoyed myself but i ended up quitting after the free month due to the horrendous amount of bugs in the game. I was thinking of playing again coz i heard some good things about shadowlands but i ended up getting FFXI instead. This game is simply the best looking MMoRPG out at the moment. I found a guide on the official FFXI forum on how to increase the resolution to 2048x2048 and the graphics are awesome at this resolution. I have a bit of a problem with some stuttering in busy city areas but i think its more internet lag than graphic lag.

Anyhow thanks for the responses guys.
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:28 pm