Mage Melee Skills?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
stethnorun
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mage Melee Skills?

Any experienced mages out there have a good idea of what I should train up before becoming a mage? What is the best number for Str (to me it looks like 40-50) and what level of melee skill is best, most cost effective? (im am planning on using 1h weaps). I want to get all the combat skills im going to need for the rest of the game BEFORE i become a mage. Thanx:)
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:23 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I didn't worry too much about combat before I became a mage. I just trained up to "Fighter" status and am still using my self-forged sword in Chapter 3. I don't need to use it that much though, as my spells do most of the work.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:06 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

Instead of training stregnth, train dexterity instead, then you will be able tou use the master sword when you find it

You need 65 dex to use it but it does 65 damage and it's a 1 handed sword

dex is also handy for your thief skills

I always train to 60% to get to master which takes 70 lp altogether, but it doubles when you become a mage
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:29 pm
stethnorun
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

graham im not sure why i would go for dex instead. im going to have range attacks with magic so bows arent really a factor. and 65 dex for 65 dmg isnt all that good. plus dex doesnt factor into getting critical hits. so i cant think of a single reason to go with dex over str....unless you REALLY want to save those lockpicks....which im not too worried about
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:40 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

No he's saying do dex because you can use some nice swords that require dex instead of str. Also, the more dex you have, the faster you swing your sword/fire your bow or crossbow/cast your spells.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:12 am
stethnorun
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmm....ive never read about dex affecting attack speed. the only thing ive heard about attack speed is when you raise 1h or 2h skill. are you absolutely sure that dex affects attack speed? also, you can do much more with str than dex when it comes to equiping weaps.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:40 am
Towlie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If ur planning 2 go with 1handed u dont need more than 30 to 1h weapon skill and 40-65 str.
But since mages dont get any special weapons and the best weapon u can find is a 80 dmg 2hander id suggest getting 2h weapon skill to 60 and str to 40(increase with potions l8r) b4 becoming a mage. Its also much easier to time ur attaks(so ull take less dmg) with a two hander due to the longer reach. Ull have to be about lv 12.. not easy but since the magicsystem sux ull have to be a good meeler unless ur planning to run away alot. If u pick up valentinos ring and (forgot what its called) the ring u find in a cave near the pyramidethingy, ull have a good enuff defence in a leather armor to get 2 lv 12.
Be warned: With a little planning NOTHING will be able to pose a nuicance to this uber mage l8ron so u might get a little bored..
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:03 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

The magic system doesn't suck, although it could be improved (more quick keys). It works fine and better than the first game's did.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:32 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

As a mage it's a little harder in the first three chapters but after you have become a High Mage and learned the fourth circle you'll be able to cast some very nasty spells and from there things only get better.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:00 pm
Towlie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
The magic system doesn't suck, although it could be improved (more quick keys). It works fine and better than the first game's did.

Why i say that the magicsystem sux is because of the enormous mana cost for high level spells. That a paladin does the same amount of damage with 5 mana as a mage does with 75 makes the paladin the best mage in the game...From what i hear tho this is corrected in the addon, but it doesnt look like ill be getting my greedy little hands on that any time soon.

Last edited by Towlie on Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:30 pm
The Prefect
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

As a mage you better go with 1h weapons since you can do more damage in the same amount of time then with a 2h weapon. Attackspeed is much higher. The first time I played, I became a mage and I trained to 30% for 1h and the same for 2h, which was a waste of lp's, and everything worked out. By the time you get the strength you need to defeat the shadowlords guarding the dragonslicer, you'll have some nice little spells so you don't need a sword anymore. Just save your lp's and train in mana and alchemy so you can make strength, dex and/or mana potions. I trained to 250 mana using potions, don't forget one mana potion is 10 manapoints. The rest of my kingssorrel plants were used to upgrade my strength so I could wield an orcslayer and to upgrade my dex.

At the end, nobody could touch me. Not even orcs or lizard men.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:22 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Only 250 mana, I had over 450. I could use Holy Bolt like it was a Fire Arrow.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:46 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe Sem pretty much the same in here when i was a mage i used all the biggest and strongest spells like at the beginning fireballs ;P
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:36 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by stethnorun
graham im not sure why i would go for dex instead. im going to have range attacks with magic so bows arent really a factor. and 65 dex for 65 dmg isnt all that good. plus dex doesnt factor into getting critical hits. so i cant think of a single reason to go with dex over str....unless you REALLY want to save those lockpicks....which im not too worried about

Dex also increases your chance of pickpocketing, wich you get exp for each succesful theft up to 300EXP depending on the chapter, so i normaly go on a stealing spree in chapter 5 and get 250exp for each pocket picked

and then there is 1000 exp for rescuing Joe.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:49 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: experience as a mage

A good mage only needs 2 or 3 spells:

lightning(circle 4)
wave of death(circle 6)
holly missile( free from reading the Almanach ).

And the mana required is about 320 which is more than enough. The rest you can put into strength and one-handed combat. My mage usually get to 65% onehanded.. Remember that Pyrokar can train mana up to 250.

As a mage, I cleaned up everything at the end of chpater 5 very easily with lightning and wave of death(or mass destruction). I also used holly misssle occasionally. Use lightning to deal with the 4 dragons in chapter 4. And against the undead dragon, only one or two casts of wave of death did the job.

The strength of my mage at the end of the game was around 142. But once he got the lightning spell (chapter 3), he hardly need the sword.

At the end of the game , my mage got to level=40 and that with only a minimum of thieving and pickpocketing( once each ).
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:06 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next