Village Leader
Village Leader

but Valentino

my score: 10/10
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:06 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I still think they should have left Mud in the game...

Sylvio
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Yes, Mud was fun.

I've just bought G2, and my first impression is boredom, since I right now have to do the same thing ass I did in the demo twice. But it looks very good, it's good music, and the feel's on top.

Out of now, 9/10.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:21 pm
Gothrinian1602
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hey guys is there any U.S. website that has Gothic II i realy need to get it. i cant wait till October or something like that to play it.. please i need that info...
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:57 pm
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

Click this Gothrinian:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28027
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:38 pm
Gothrinian1602
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

thanks for the help I'll order Gothic II finally.. thanks again..
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:48 pm
kyrill
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

wonderful wonderful

Ah what a nice game
After finishing ages ago Gothic and finding some releave in Morrowind ( but after a long play, I did not like the world anymore) it is nice to be "home"again.
I got the game yesterday and played until 03.30 in the morning. Today I will skip work and only play the game. Everything is similar to the first game but better.Better graphics, sounds, much more polygons and more ways to control "the future" because of the choices you can make in a conversation or action. I am already dreaming abour Gothic III (not really, first finish this one) It is a shame that a world builder program is mising for mods and the like

technically it is not perfect yet. Sometimes the sound crashes and I have to reset Win Xp pro with my Asus A7V333, 512mb AMD XP 1900+, Geforce Ti 4400 Soundblaste3 Live 5.1 and newest drivers
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:12 am
LaBaN
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

When I first heard the good old voice of "Me", yet with a little more fresh twist to it, the first thing I thought was "Yes! I'm back in action! Exsactly where I left off!" .. this feeling only got stronger as I progressed through the game.
And Wow, when I entered into the enveloping forests with all the plants and birds and wolves and other cribbling sounds surrounding me, my jaw must have dropped.
After some hours of gameplay i was totally drawn into the story and my quests.

But alas, in a week I'm going on a trip to Hungary for the whole next month
Of all the games I've played, this, together with Gothic I, is the only game to bewitch me in such a powerful way.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:37 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I got the game yesterday and here are some quick impressions:

First of all, My system Specs:

Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM (RDRAM), Raedon 9700 Pro, SB Audigy, Directx 9.0a, Windows XP Profesional w/ SP 1

I should also mentioned that I have played the Demo, so a lot of the very early things in the game were already known to me.

1. Packaging - Adequate and practical. Nothing spectacular. From just a superficial browse of the manual I will say it is much better than the flimsy thing that came with Gothic I. I ddin't read much from it because I didn't want to spoil anything --no matter how small.

2. Installation - Smooth sailing. No problem at all thanks to Bigkabuto's head's up about the order of the discs. The thing is though, the CDs are packed together in the exact order you should install them. I do admit that the labeling is confusing though and without knowing the right thing to do I would've started with "Install CD 1" LOL

3. Stability / Performance- I played the game non-stop for about 7 hours yesteraday and have had no crashes at all. Performance is smooth as silk with ALL options maxed and view distance at 300%. The city is not jerky for me at all (though I guess the frame rate seems slower, it is not so much that it distracts from the flow of the game). The game version says 1.31

I expected this performance from my system, but I do know that at least 1 person in the forum (Mr. Teatime) was having problems with a similar RIG to mine and I wanted to report that things are just great on my system.

4. Voice Acting / Dialouge - Good again. Many of the older voice actors are back. The voice for your hero really sounds like the same guy -- but there are some subtle differences. I can't say with absolute certainty that iti is. It *could* be the same guy as the first one and he is just adding a few changes to the role (again, these are voice *actors*). Either way, you sound pretty much like you did in the first game. Xardas is exactly same. Lester is different I think, but good enough. I have noticed the voices of other (non-Gothic I) characters being voiced by some of the same original Gothic guys too. There are a few new ones in there as well (most notably the female voices).

The dialouge is good as well. You know the same very practical, non-flowery, slight tinge of sarcaasm dialouge we loved from the first Gothic is back.

5. Combat/Controls - Again, no complaints here. I exprimented both with the new controls and the classic Gothic ones. I eventually stuck with the original Gothic controls, but I like the new ones as well. One reason why I went back to the old ones is that I did not know that you could hit "R" to look around (was this possible in the first game). One of my complaints about the 1st game is that I was always forced to stop and use the mouse to "look around" when I wanted to. Now that I can use "R", I am very happy sticking soely with the keyboard. Combat animations and excitement are right-on.

6. Graphics - WOW. Very, very, very good. The forests and greenery ook incredible and really add to the feeling of "danger" and mystery as the thick underbrush often impedes your vision. Sometimes you have to switch to first person to accurately see what's in front of you.

7. Sound/Music - Very good. Ambient sound rocks. Music is non-intrusvie and fits the mood the game adequately.

8. Plot / Quests - The basic plot (as described by Xardas) seems OK. But what is more important to me is how the story is told through quests and interactions and this part is just perfect so far. It's got that dead-on mix of mystery, intriguie, and faction politics that are the undercurrent of everything. I am currently level 4 and still doing quests around Khornis and the surrounding area, but I am having a lot of fun with all the New stuff I've encountered (that was NOT in the demo). The quests are varied and none seem dull or filler at all.

I will just want to mention two (early ones) that in particular that have impressed me with the variety of ways in which they can be approached. (Trying not to reveal spoilers).

- There is a person you meet coming down from Xardas' tower that gives you some info. The choices you are given about dealing with him, his relationship to you, HIS buddies, AND the people that know about HIM and his buddies is what role playing is all about folks. I loved how every way you could think of resolving these related quests was thought of and can actually be realized.

- On the way to the city you meet another guy on a bench that offers you a little something if he can count on you do do him a favor in the future ( think "The Godfather" here..hehehehe). If you do choose his GIFT, his favor will result in a quest that, depending on what kind of character you play, can pose somewhat of a moral dilema. The best thing about this decision is that you can still to the "right" thing or the "wrong" thing, but whatever you do seems to have consequences. Just like even accpeting the GIFT he offered in the first place creates the consequence of you having to make this decision. This is the type of gameplay that I love.

9. Minor bugs - I have noticed about 1 or 2 times when someone's speech will get "pushed forward" or cut off while they are talking to me.

Also, [minor spoiler start] when talking to the old salior at the Harbor who used to live in the lighthouse, I noticed that an entire line of his dialogue is missing (meaning, he is silent for a while). It's no big deal as I could fill in the blanks on what was said, but it seems like something QA missed.

Overall, the game is everything I have hoped for and so far has not dissaopointed me. The developers have again captured that intagible "Gothic feeling" and transplated it into these new surroundings. It's almost like PB still had tons inspiration and 'Gothic essence'laying around and splashed it all over this sequel. This world is ALIVE and I can't wait to get back to adventuring in it.

Again, I am still in Chapter one and these impressions are after about 8 hours of play. I won't reserve final judgement until I have finished the game, but so far, things are looking very, very good.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:23 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

jesus christ elkston!
dont you have anything better to do then write a book about it?
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:50 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Shmaugus
jesus christ elkston!
dont you have anything better to do then write a book about it?

To be brutally honset, I was taking a dump when I wrote that. I figured If I didn't write it up then, I would blow it off and play the game instead.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:21 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

you were typing on the crapper ehh?
hmmm, sounds productive...
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:47 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Translations and voice acting.

I've just been playing Gothic 2 for the past two days.
And all I have to talk about are the translations and voice acting:

Translations: Uuuhhh... Half of the dialogue, literally, makes very little sense. You can tell that the translators either didn't speak english well, or used a german-to-english translator like one you'd find @ AltaVista.com .

Also, what's up with repeating nouns?? They say the same nouns as much as 3 times in one sentence. Rarely using 'that', 'this', 'him' etc etc.

Overall, a decent job. I understood everything, eventhough I had to read things over twice.

Voice acting: I miss Diego. This new guy not only has a new, and horrible, voice, but the character changed as well.
Diego used to be competent, this 'new' Diego is a dishonorable jerk.

And there are a ton of bloopers. Very funny.

Like in one scene, the text goes:
"I don't mind faunting that." (Or something, can't remember.)
But the voice actor says:
"I don't mind doing that. I like doing bettering than faunting, kind of old speak."

The lips on the character were also synchronized for this. Strange, eh.

The voice actors change a good chunk of the dialogue for the better. I'm damn glad.
Using words like "Lines" instead of "Sentences" would've left me in the dark. etc etc

Overall, nice that they let the actors change words here and there.

Love this game.

Forgot to mention, the game runs damn slow for me. I have to turn visual distance to 80 when @ Korinis.
And no higher than 140 in the woods.

This is with all the special effects off, except Ambience. Sad eh.

P3 733
512SD
GF3 64DDR
High performance HDD, DVDROM and all other minor parts.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:48 pm
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Nah, this game is a system hog.

Has anyone here played enclave, not a patch on gothic 2 but the graphics were excellent, far better then gothic 2 IMO and it ran perfectly. Strange that
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:23 am
Incendiary Lemon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I found the voiceovers in Gothic objectionable, genuinely terrible. Changes for the better or should I just play it in German?
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:28 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next