Usergroups
Suggestion: Mouse Control
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Akhilles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This game is amazing.. or, It *might* be, but the controls are so frustrating.

Why all the "keyboard only" control?

This game is what I've been looking for.. Everquest in a single player setting, no stupid players ruining the experience for me

But the interface drives me nuts.. the A.I. for NPC's is incredible, which is one reason I need better control of the character.. creatures clean my clock because I cannot reliably fight back due to contraints of the controls.. no remapping of controls etc etc.

Otherwise.. very cool game

Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:58 pm

i am with you . this game's interface is at best cumbersome and irritating. if i had known that the game relied only on the keyboard i never would have purchased it. the game's graphics and ai are up to date, so why did they waste their time with such an out of date interface? when it is difficult to kill a naked chicken because you can't get your chacter to move properly there is a serious problem. i think the developers should take a look at either rune or vampire and take a few hints.
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:12 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2001-12-05 09:58, Akhilles wrote:
Why all the "keyboard only" control?

I have a shocking revelation for you: Gothic has mouse control!

To be more precise, alternative settings plus mouse are pretty similar to most shooters.
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:28 pm
Akhilles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gorath:

Well please, enlighten us then. I looked for a way at the menu to re-route controls so I could run with the right mouse button depressed (like Quake) or attack with the left button (like Quake).

If the developers played Quake.. thats the controls that make sense.. plus the ability to re-map controls so the controls make sense no matter what the player maps them to..

Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

IŽll be AFK in a few minutes, so IŽll keep it short. Search the 3 forums for the details on every part of the controls.

As far as I remember the mouse canŽt be remapped. LMB=ctrl in most cases, LMB=Enter in some. RMB=Esc.
You need a hand on the keyboard because all the weapon and combat controls are there.

You can use the mouse to take an enemy into focus, then circle strafe him with l/r (without mousebutton) or attack/defend with LMB + (a,w,d/s).
You have to release the LMB for a short time if you want to circle strafe after an attack.
It needs some practice to minimize the amount of time.
Later in the game you learn attack combos. Combos require perfect timing.

Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:05 pm
Akhilles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I understand needing a free hand for the keyboard, you need that in most games as multiple weapons are keyed to the number keys, function keys etc.
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:34 pm