To Infinity Engine--And Beyond! @ GameSpot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

To Infinity Engine--And Beyond! @ GameSpot

GameSpot's new Freeplay editorial series sees one titled <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/features/freeplay/index.html?story=6129978" target="_blank">To Infinity Engine--And Beyond!</a>, which embraces BioWare/Black Isle's Inifinity Engine as the best RPG engine of all time and bemoans the lack of non-action RPGs in the pipeline:<blockquote><em>The computer RPG market has always been an interesting one, although now it seems to be in decline, at least when we discount massively multiplayer online games. Many of the upcoming RPGs are either pure real-time affairs, such as Oblivion, or Diablo-esque action RPGs, such as Titan Quest and Hellgate: London. Heck, even the Dungeons & Dragons-licensed games are shifting away from the system's turn-based roots, with games like Dungeons & Dragons Online being a real-time MMO game and Dragonshard being an real-time strategy game. Only Neverwinter Nights 2 seems to be holding to a strict interpretation of the d20 system (pauseable real-time play notwithstanding).</em></blockquote>Tell us something we don't know. The games industry obviously didn't get the memo that said "the BG series sold 5 million copies -- go make more games like this".
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:17 am
Mystery_Guy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Funny how they all think the PC RPG is dead, yet they are the ones who've killed it with their refusal to allow "true" PC RPGs to enter the market. Sort of like a man who buys a bed of nails and after sleeping on it for a week wonders why his back is always bleeding.

If you ask any of the white shirts running this hobby, they'll all tell you the same thing: Those types of RPGs don't sell. Try to explain PS:T or BG to them and they'll call them one-time flukes. I'm not kidding.
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:22 am
Risine

He is totally right. I mean, PC RPG is not dead ( PC games neither as it's been said during 10 years ) but we are in a hole period for this kind of game, like we were just before BG came, that's a fact.
Of course, we have interesting RPG games like morrowind, or the future oblivion, beautiful RPGs, but not the kind of gameplay experience infinity engine offered to players. Infinity engine should have evolved and used to offer Bioware's fan what they wished. But unfortunately that's not the case.
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:30 am

araczynski
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

the problem is that they DID get the memo that showed that the vast majority of gamers these days are prozac deprived ADD types who go into a fit when something isn't flashing in their eyes every second, they would go narcoleptic.

they're marketing to the kids, not to us adults that.
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:44 pm
Mortimer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I can't honestly deny that the more action orented games sale more than the traditional RPG. that is defentally the truth, but I have talked with many gamers that play RPGs and most, including myself will not buy the online games, nor the action games. So it seems if they looked into it a little they would see that sure, your little high school targeted games sale more copies but your hard core RPG that will sale less will get buyers from a different market, those that will not buy your online nor action games you make instead of a good RPG.

I have also seen sales figures where a action game will sale a few millon copies in a month or 2 then fade away, where as games like arcanum and ToEE sale copies for years, and over time do as well as the big saleing action games, but companies want to make big bucks now.

it is rather sad that most game companies totally ignore everyone here. sure make your quick buck on the action and MMORPG's but occasionally throw out a good RPG to keep us older gamers and those younger gamers that are not opposed to a slower more thought provoking style of gameplay happy
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:10 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The baldurs gate 2 collectors dvd is still selling copies, who gets the profit?

ToEE and arcanum may not be the best examples as the company that made then went bankrupt...
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:22 pm
Mortimer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

true but they went bankrupt because they only made RPGs and publishers did not want to fund them, but sierria and atari still make money on both titles. and I used those because I was told the firgures from a dev of those games. whether in a chat or a news post not sure. but that is a prime example of the problem talked about, they went out of business because of this lack of publishers picking up RPG titles :/
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:42 pm
Mystery_Guy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A little off topic here, but someone mentioned ToEE and I really have to mention how amazing that game was once the fans got a hold of it. I had played through the retail version of the game twice, then re-installed it a few months back with the circle of 8 mod and then Livonya's mod...and I couldn't believe how stable and challenging the game became. It went from being "Good but with lots of problems" to "Legendary with lost hours of sleep" Dare I say it...as good as the Goldbox games of my youth.

Everytime a game like Gothic, ToEE or PS:T comes out I feel like I "Got one over" on the white shirts and CEOs. It feels like somehow, by accident, a "Gem" fell out of Atari's pocket. (Or Vivendi, or whoever)

Thanks to the mod community (And good GOD are there tons of Infinity Engine mods) our adventures will continue...it's just a darn shame that they retired the engine.

I remember the first time I played NWN I just sat there with my mouth open, unable to figure out how they went from the Infinity Engine to THAT. It was like going from a BMW to a Toyota.
Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:03 pm
guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I just wish devs would make more games like "The Elder Scrolls" series since those are the most "Roleplay" like of any rpgs ever made and they are liked by hardcore and non-hardcore alike and don't alienate anyone. (especially with the upcoming Oblivion)

If devs made more games like those (and did them well) then you wouldn't see many people say that the RPG genre is dying.

PS. "The Elder Scrolls" series are my most favorite games of all the games I have ever played. (including all those really popular turn based rpgs) I also absolutly despise Diablo-esque game and don't even consider them rpgs at all and call them by their appropriate name "Action Adventure" games.
Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:19 am
Risine

Well, don't worry about that then, There will only be Morrowind-like RPG from now on.
So sad!So, so, sad!
Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:24 am

guenthar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That's a long shot since too make a morrowind type game well takes more effort then these greedy developers and publishers are willing too put in. What there will be are more diablo-esque games. It is more likely there will be more turn based rpgs then games like morrowind since Bethesda is the only major dev that is willing to make a game like that.

PS. Before you say Stalker is a morrowind type game you might as well forget it since from what I have found out it's going to be more like a fps with rpg elements (aka fps adventure game) then a rpg. Other then that it's only independant dev and vapourware games that are supposed to be morrowind like. (besides oblivion)
Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:26 pm
Risine

When I said "more morrowind-like games", I was talking about the "first-person RPG" experience, not the kind of RPG itself. I totally agree with you that more and more RPG will be done for massmarket, for both PC AND consoles, and therefore will be more action oriented.
Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 am