Burz and Charm? Need some help, please.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Burz and Charm? Need some help, please.

Why can't my Bishop cast a Charm spell on Burz?

It's not that he doesn't succeed---the game simply will not even let me attempt to cast it. The message I get says something like, "You can't do that right now".

I must be missing something fundamental.

Would appreciate help.

How786
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:28 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

As it happens, I charmed Burz just last night (didn't gain me anything, but it was good spell practice). I bet you're trying to cast the spell before you talk to him. Give him a kiss (you'll recognize the icon) to start the conversation. You'll see a set of buttons-- the one you're most likely familiar with already is "trade". Underneath "trade" is a button for "magic". Hit that. Select your bishop and the "charm" button will light up. Cast away!
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:56 pm
How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ah!
Thanks very much. I din't realize I had to be in conversation in order to charm him.
Much appreciated!
How786

PS-How does wiz 7 compare to 8? This game is really awesome!
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:00 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Never did play Wiz7. It's got an exploit that makes character development too easy (IMO). Since that's the part of Wiz8 I like most, that would be a major downer for me. It's supposed to be an excellent game, and I suppose there's nothing forcing one to take advantage of the exploit (it involves class-switching, BTW).
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:06 pm
vesselle
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Never did play Wiz7. It's got an exploit that makes character development too easy (IMO). Since that's the part of Wiz8 I like most, that would be a major downer for me. It's supposed to be an excellent game, and I suppose there's nothing forcing one to take advantage of the exploit (it involves class-switching, BTW).

not sure which exploit you mean, but class changing in 7 is veeery different from the class switching in 8. 7 is designed to encourage you to change classes easily, as opposed to 8, where penalties are incurred. and i wouldn't really knock 7 because of this unless you've actually played it. it's a very fun and challenging game.

V***V
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:08 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

As it has been described to me, it would make it very easy to create uber characters. Class composition would be a non-factor because everybody could do everything given enough time and practice. As I mentioned, that would make the game less enjoyable for me since intricate character development is what's made Wiz8 my absolute all-time favorite game. That certainly doesn't make Wiz7 a bad game for others, though. By all reports, it's an excellent game.
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:13 pm
otter
One of Us

I'm still playing W-7 fairly often. I like importing, ther are a number of advantages, as long as you optimize.
The graphics are very simple, but the game is HUGE, interesting, and as difficult/easy as you make it.
The best thing to me about the way class-rotating works in W-7 is that you can do as little or as much as you want, and still play the game through. Although with smaller parties it's a LOT harder without any class-changing.
Post Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:53 am