Usergroups
Diccuric needs help for translation
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Orclyx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Xerxes, I felt I had to say something (and I've registered an account just to do it): that is EXTREMELY dry English, and it sometimes makes very little sense. I'm not putting you down, it's great work, but perhaps there should be people who check over the translated text, perhaps add a little humor, liven it up a bit. It looks pretty dead at the moment

I'm English, I don't really know german, but I do know my grammar - and I'd be happy to help.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:42 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The reason it´s still a bit dry -if this is the case- is that all the metaphors, jokes, cynism, verbal aggression and colloquial language are of course still based upon the German text. Nobody in Germany would understand jokes about baseball.

See it positive. Now the community gets first hand experience why a professional game translation can take months. The whole thing has to be optimized again and again until fits.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:51 am
Orclyx
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I guess I never thought of it that way.. with open-ended games like Gothic it could take months.. eek. o_o;
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:57 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

btw., I overlooked Xerxes´ long post on the last page. I was talking about the fan translation in general.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:18 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

As I sadi before, this is German colloquial dialog sentences taken out of the context. It will not make much sense nor have the 'color' to it.

I am not German native speaker. Alot of that I have no idea what they are refering to.

We speak like that all the time in English and many foriegners can not understand us since we are using 'colloquial' English when we speak.

Plus I have not played the Mod. I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. This is ONE persons dialog and he is responding. It is not complete.

I did not have alot of time to translate it. Need someone who is a native German speaker to really understand what they are trying to say.

By translating the whole thing into a rough form, and someone play the Mod in its entire dialog together, then you can go back and 'fix' and add in the color and expressions.

Hey, it is a Alpha translation. Something to start with. Later I will have the German text with it so people can see it and clean it up later and put back in the odd jokes and color. As I said, I am not a native German speaker.

Thanks Draakan for the help! He is pretty good.

Last edited by Xerxes712 on Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:59 pm
Draakan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I will start translation with that file:
dia_dic_2002_taliasan.d

so nobody start with the same translation

Three can hide a secret, if two of them are dead!
-= Benjamin Franklin =-
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:59 pm
Moe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Is it possible, that everyone mails me, what he has done and on what he is currently working? There is another offter to help in my email box, but I don't know, which of the scripts are still unstarted...
Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:03 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

It would be better to let someone else better than me to translate.

I can only translate the dry form. I know the jokes are there but need to be put in English style. like "Hey Benhcol, Today joke day? " Is like " Hey Benhcol, having fun today?" " Hey Benhcol, have the day off?" "vacation day" having a "fun day"....

I do not know the 'dialog' slang types. Sorry but my translation is straight dry, then I go back and try to figure out what the exact joke, sarcasim, etc is from the dialog text context from playing the game.

I can not give a real translation straight off the top. I believe Draakan and others understand German speech and dialog forms infinitely better than me.

So, unless I am the bottom of the barrel last resort, I must bow out.

I tried; measured, and weighed -but found wanting.
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:06 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

At least you're able to translate a bit. It's not that I absolutely don't understand German, but I never had in school.(nor did I take a course of it.)

I'm just glad to hear that there are people willing to work on Dicuric.
NFG member
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:37 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

OK, a first update of the situation:

We'll try to help with whatever left to translate from Diccuric. ATM the ones from our team which said are interested in help are 5: Gornsbestmate, Draakan, Xerxes, me and Psy-Q (our newest member, he came too late to help us with the DNdR translation which was already finished by then). And Jaz too, if she has time.

Moe, we need to meet online and talk, to set up the things and made whatever transformations are needed in order to make a good translation (the most important one is to let the translation files containing the english translated text AND the original german text too... and maybe add codes for each translator, to can identify in an easy way who translate what (not for how much counting, but to easiness of future corrections ).

You can find me on mIRC (nick adonys on undernet servers), or on Yahoo Messenger (ID adonys13).

Last edited by cothyso on Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:58 am
Psy-Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm the new guy I guess

I'll pick a file to start translating soon. I have a reasonably good grasp of both languages and I hope I can keep some of the humor intact.

My questions:

- Are there any style rules? British spelling, American spelling?
- Who do we submit the translated files to and where do we "claim" a file for ourselves?
- Will we set up a central registry somewhere to store the names of commonly used items, so that no two translators make up conflicting translations for them? Nothing more confusing for the player than that kind of stuff.

I'll just "stake my claim" in this thread once I've decided for a file, hope nobody minds the clutter
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:28 am
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

We didn't organized anything yet.

Still need to contact Moe and estabilish a good translation file format. After that, I guess we can use the forums we used for DNdR translation.

Please go on www.realmsoftorment.net/forums and make an account in there. Then PM tiamat on those forums (me) about it, to give you acces to that hidden forum.

Regarding fitting translations of different person (special words needing to be translated in the same way everywhere) we used partial translation files for that, for all the other translator to se and also we made posts in which we talked about this (as you'll see in those forums). In the end, it's project coordonator's job to make sure everything fits (that was one of the things I did in DNdR translation project)
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:49 am
Moe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

@Cathyso: I can get my Yahoo Account working again...or they changed their protocol. Is there are special IRC Channel, where I can meet you? It's hard to see, if you are online, when I try to query you...Or can you contact me in icq (my number is 45085729)?
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:53 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

uhm... i don't really use ICQ... but you can find me on Yahoo Messenger almost all the time.
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:19 pm
Moe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, I don't use YM and can't get my account working again. Before I try several weeks to catch you in IRC, we can discuss it here. I think, that it would be best, because everyone can say, what he thinks about it. There are 3 more guys, who wants to help besides your team, so they should be able to give me their opinion, what they would need.
First of all, I present you the current advantages of files: Now, you can simply copy the whole text folder and open the German and English file parallel (every good texteditor can do that). The linenumbers help for orientation, the note in brakes behind show you, what kind of text it is (I'll post a list about it). The size of the files is ideal for sharing the files, because everyone grabs a new one, when he finished one. We only need a list, where everyone notes, what he is doing. I fear, that it is nearly impossible to write a tool, that puts all textes, which belongs together, line after line - we have several trialogs and this needs more than one scriptfile (this technique wasn't used by PB) and they could only be sorted by hand.
So what would your file format make easier?
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:40 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next