Portrait of Gomez?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Portrait of Gomez?

In Gothic I and II I keep seeing the portrait of an Ore Baron leaning on a giant sword, with naked women lying at his feet (the portrait in the background when loading in Gothic I). Is this supposed to be Gomez? That was my first thought, but when I meet Gomez in-game, it turns out he has black hair and facial hair as well, not like the man in the portrait at all.

Also, another question I have is this: For how long has the barrier been up when the hero is thrown into the valley?
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:48 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

don't know to put a real time on it, I think no one can
but already a long time because the new camp and sect camp have rissen a while after that the barrier was created and that isn't done in 1 2 3 so I dthink maybe already for years and think of xardas and his studies
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:55 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

I think the man who is in the portrait is king ROBER the 2nd, and about the time thing, i think that it has been at least 50 centuries, cuz the orcs built the temble and sealed kit up and also summoned that sleeper while the barrier is up, and another thing, the magical blades you get from the shamans, they tells that they are not any longer sharp cuz of time.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:43 pm
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

That all sounds good to me, except for one detail. The six water mages, the six fire mages and Xardas were the 13 magicians who raised the barrier. Either it's been like 40 years top, or they are immortal despite being human (which I doubt).
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:11 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

well maybe even less than 40 years. How long would it take to put up a camp like the sect and the New camp? 10 a 20 years?
the picture is probably not from Rohbar II because in the intro movie of gothic you see how he looks like
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:58 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by X-dANGEr
I think the man who is in the portrait is king ROBER the 2nd, and about the time thing, i think that it has been at least 50 centuries, cuz the orcs built the temble and sealed kit up and also summoned that sleeper while the barrier is up, and another thing, the magical blades you get from the shamans, they tells that they are not any longer sharp cuz of time.

You know why the barrier got much larger then the magicians planned right? it was because of the sleeper, so it was there already when the barrier was created.
Thats why i think it was indeed only ten years or so, becuase gomez was also leading the rebellion against the kings guards when the barrier was created.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:12 pm
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think that the portrait is a picture if king rothbar I.
Or he can also be the one who was in charge in the valley before the barrier.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:40 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

quote:
Originally posted by tolgerias
You know why the barrier got much larger then the magicians planned right? it was because of the sleeper, so it was there already when the barrier was created.
Thats why i think it was indeed only ten years or so, becuase gomez was also leading the rebellion against the kings guards when the barrier was created.

As i know the barrier got much larger because the sleeper and the barrier was created in the same moment.
quote:
Originally posted by Malgaroth
That all sounds good to me, except for one detail. The six water mages, the six fire mages and Xardas were the 13 magicians who raised the barrier. Either it's been like 40 years top, or they are immortal despite being human (which I doubt).

I can say to you that not all of these magicians made the barrier, as i think the men who involved in creating the barrier are Corristo and Saturas and Xardas and others who knows where are they, the explanation of this comes like, IF corristo and Saturas are in age of 50 years, then i think all the other magicians are in age of 25, when the barrier was made as you say before 10 years, the other magicians will be 15 years ols, and i don't think that they can stand that magic, and another thing, as i know My first GrandFather lived for 950 years, i think that these magicians can live like that too, also another thing supports my words, when you talk to milten, there an option to ask him, how he became the apperenice of Corristo and he tells you, you must make sth. special, that means that he wasn't exist(born)when the barrier was created, i'd like to edit my time and make it 10 centuries.
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:19 am
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

<oops, posted twice>

Last edited by Malgaroth on Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:00 am
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Your grandfather is 950 years old eh? I hope for you sake you meant 95.

The barrier being in place for 20-30 years sounds good to me. There's exactly six Fire Magicians and six Water Magicians and never any mention of any others besides Xardas. I see the three elder magicians as being 60-80 years old, and their comrades about 40.

Ten centuries huh? Then the current king, Rhobar, is what... about 1050 years old? I believe he was around when the barrier was created.

Also, before the barrier was raised, Xardas was still a powerful senior magician and in the High Council of the Fire Magicians, together with Pyrokar (who is outside the barrier).
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:03 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

My first one was about 500, and the 950 years is one of the prophets age, and who said that thr ruler now is the same Rober the 2nd, another thing the clue about the swords, the magician ones, how can you prove that it is wrong???
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:06 am
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The weapons of the ancient orc shamans aren't sharp because they're old, that's understandable. The orc shamen are undead after all, they've lived out they're lives and still existed for a long time after their death. What does this have to do with the barrier though? The orc temple was surely built long before the barrier was raised.

The last part of my above post proves that the barrier can't have been there for many years. I'll explain it again a bit clearer...

In Gothic II, we learn that Xardas and Pyrokar have a history together. Xardas was on the High Council of the Fire Magicians together with Pyrokar. Being on the High Council means he was already an experienced and reknowned Magician, hence he can't have been a little child. Xardas helped raise the barrier and was trapped in it, but Pyrokar remained outside. Judging by his apperance, Xardas is between 50 and 80 years old (my guess would be about 65).

So in conclusion... Xardas raised the barrier as an adult, existed within it as an adult, and was freed from it as an adult. Hence, it cannot have been up for more than 40 years tops.

I have no comment on your 500 and 950 year old grandfathers...
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:52 am
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

According to the opening of G1 was king RII to ask the mages to make the barrier.
Also the magician inside the barrier, apart milten , are 12, 5 fire,6 water and Xardas(that before was a fire one).
Xardas tell you the story in the opening, so HE WAS there when the barrier was created.
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:03 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

the barrier was created because of the orc war which still goes on and i tell you X-danger, no orc war takes a thousend years! so it should really be 10 years or so.
and the sleeper was summoned long before the barrier was created, ask xardas or that orc shaman ( Ur-Shack?)
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:21 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

I donno but if you are sure that the orc temple was created long before the barrier, then i guess 60-100 years.
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:23 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next