mmoRPG Elections, EQ2 vs WoW ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
RPGPorkster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

mmoRPG Elections, EQ2 vs WoW ?

With Sony treating its customers with little rewards, players are in a great position to make a choice where their subscript dollar goes. Currently players are concerned with Sony's persona towards customers.

Will history be written in a why that makes World of Warcraft the biggest mmoRPG game?

EQ2 is released and the bones of contention are ;

* Only four slots per account, for character generation.
* Sony's greed to put a high price on monthly subscriptions.
* Dumbing down of the game combat engine and also realism restraints. Example Combat locking.
* Instancing of Zones. Instancing makes a game less of a mmoRPG. The ideals of mmoRPG is to experience a fantasy world with many other players. Instancing saves money for the provider, but Sony is not passing on the savings.

Wow, is still coming but;

* lacks racial types
* lacks classes
* lower graphics quality than EQ2
* graphic style that could be wearing on visual pleasure.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:56 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

umm... why does there have to be a competition? In my mind, both of them are excellent games... Im playing both of them as we speak!

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:27 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Re: mmoRPG Elections, EQ2 vs WoW ?

quote:
Originally posted by RPGPorkster
Wow, is still coming but;

* lacks racial types

I have had no interest in EQ2, so I know absolutely nothing bout it, but this is not true. WoW has very distinctive races -> 8, each with different skills, and so on. The usual thing for a MMORPG

quote:
* lacks classes

No, WoW has classes. 9 of them, 7 for both sides, and 2 that are unique for each side.

quote:
* lower graphics quality than EQ2

Hmmm, but on the other hand are non the less looking very distinctive, and are definately Warcraft-ish. I am not sure that EQ2 looks EQ, but I definately prefer WoW's style.

quote:
* graphic style that could be wearing on visual pleasure.

I am not sure what you mean exactly, but I must say that from what I hear, The WoW world is very beautiful, as a whole, and people all around me say that the game looks very, very good.

I am actually not looking at all forward to EQ2, as you must have guessed, but rather looking forward to WoW and Guild Wars, which also I hear is rather good.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:09 pm
Kaniver
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've read a little about EQ2 and a whole bunch about WOW. Never played EQ and have no real interest in EQ2. I will be playing WOW for sure.

The only other online game on the horizon that interests me is Dark & Light although I haven't kept abreast of it recently. If they ever make it to market I might give it a go.

WOW may have some long term surprises with ongoing developer input. With all the subscribers they'll have it will be afforadable 500,000 open beta signups in 1 day......we may have the new mmorpg champ in the wings folks??
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:20 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

EQ2 is a winner so far. Great graphics, and lots to do, and not nearly as AC 2-ish as all the info leading up to it suggested. It will be interesting to see how things progress when WoW comes out swinging.
LB
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:19 pm
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Besides the obvious reasons mentioned already i can name EQ2 as winner for only one reason already and that is the rude splitting up of the existing players. I've always said Blizzard is aiming for the < 20 age market and they proof that yet again by seperating the US and Europe and Asia in 3 seperated boxes, you cant play on a US server even if you wanted to, you need a US creditcard for it and that is beside the fact that they screw Europe & Asia over bigtime by releasing the game months after they released it in the US.

Existing guild filled with a mixture of people from all over the world? screw you, you cant play together anymore. Long time friends who played EQ1, daoc and god knows what else together and want to move on to WoW? screw you your friend is from the States so he's not allowed on the server your allowed on.

How awesome WoW may be and how brilliant the gamedesign is i will not play it because it tears apart the one thing that is most important in all MMORPG's, the friendships made in them.
Post Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:52 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have never played EQ so EQ2 doesn´t interest me at all, and because i am a WC3 profi ( ) it will be WoW for me!

@ Deg
Note that WoW is the first mmorpg thats blizzard makes so there are hardly any friendships that can be torn apart here. And besides they servers are still VERY big so im sure you can find friends on them, you dont need the whole world for that do you?
Post Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:31 pm
Deg
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I dont think you fully understood what i was saying Tolgerias, of course there are plenty of people to meet in every game but what im talking about is existing friends you've made in the past in other games. Thats why i made the remark that Blizzard is aiming for the younger players amongst us, people who never played an MMORPG before and mostly all come straight from the warcraft and diablo series.

Thats visible in the design as well looking at the simplistic gameplay and cartoonish graphics. Ive played it in beta and it is mostly, as far as i could see, a copy of DAOC where they have speed up the leveling greatly to keep younger players interested. So loot all over the place and a level every day even at higher levels.

Now the game itself is rocksolid and it does exactly what it was made for, it is going to be huge and attract alot of new players in the genre and thats great For existing guilds and people who've been playing MMORPG's together for years already and want to move on to a new game it simply sucks though because of their server policy.
Post Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:20 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ok deg point taken, of course you are right about those already excisting player groups who want to stay together, and i dont dont think WoW is really made for this people anyways. As you said the market of occasional/new/Blizzard fan- players is already so big that they dont really care about the already excisting, worldwide groups of players who are looking for a new mmorpg.
Seeing as how this kind of people are mostly devoted to their own game series there are only a very few who would want to go to WoW anyways.

IMO blizzard goes for the masses and not for the pros!
Post Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:12 pm
ShadowAssas1n
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well I have EQ2, I had a choice between WoW and EQ2, but I chose EQ2, why? Mainly because EQ2 looks 100 times better (graphically speaking) and it's proved itself. Also it's a very challenging game, I've heard that WoW has an easy gameplay, you can find monsters arond every corner, I find this crap and too easy, thats why EQ2 prevails over it in my opinion. Also I've heard many times that WoW gets boring. I've been playing EQ2 for 2 weeks now and can say it is awesome!! However, Sony is getting a bit greedy, but oh well, they have to make money for the awesome work they put in to this game. Some people complain bout only having 4 character slots, all I can say to them is go and get f**ked. I've only made 2 characters and am having enuf trouble jus levelling them up! Been playin for about 2 weeks and only hav a lvl 15 crusader and lvl 10 mage, and i'm not keen on making a new character any time soon, so if you want more characters subscribe to Station Access (4 extra characters), if you don't, tough titties! Also the only reason WoW has more fans is because almost everyone that owns a computer has played Warcraft 3 or frozen throne, making WoW alot more easier to market, and most of their buyers are teens who think they're l337 @ WC3 . I mean i havnt even played EQ1 before and I'm loving EQ2.
Post Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:57 pm