The ending....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Well I finished the game. I was a bit disappointed because of the following:
1) The quest bela had given me to find the orbs and meet him on ascension peak never really came to fruition. he never said what he was speculating about or anything..he was just kind of there.
2)Where the hell were the T'Rang and Umpani bosses who I united, who said they'd meet me there? I even had a quest to meet them there.
Maybe i missed something, but all i did was put each artifact in its place then go to the top and find the savant, who was a bit easy.

i liked this game pretty much, and i think it was well designed and thank god, bug free, but the ending just seemed to happen. i expected something different, i guess. oh well, don't flame me, i'm not griping, i'm curious to know if anyone else noticed the t'rang and umpani weren't even there
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:03 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I noticed their ammo was there. Perhaps they got there first and were wiped out.

Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:16 am
Vox Clamant
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mad ...
I agree. W8 was one of the best games I've played in years (despite the horrible retreating eneny bug and the endless wars of attrition!), but the ending was anticlimactic. I expected more. Other than (teeny spoiler her for those who didn't finsh yet) revelaling Vi's role in things, it seemed blah.

But, in minor defence of SirTech, I'll be darned if I can think up a better ending. Your idea of involving the T'rang and Umpani would have been much stronger. Maybe a final face-off involving Z'ant and xxx (can't remember the Umpani leader's name) as part of the ending?

Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:47 am
Motoki
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think all the corpses you saw up there were meant to be the Trang and Umpani. Given the difficulty of that one particular battle, it wouldn't surpise me. Still it would have been nice to have seen them there but oh my gosh would that have made all the battles up there take forever. Also, for plot reasons I could see why they were not there, lest we have legions of Trang and Umpani storming the cosmic circle.

As for Bela, he hinted about his suspicions to some degree when I spoke with him the first time.

-MO
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 2:10 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Yeah, anticlimactic is a good word.
It's cool to find out who the dark savant is, and the thing about Vi, but I was thinking that during the game, there were several major players who were either against or for the savant, for their own motives. I would have liked to see many of these creatures either being helpful or attacking me on my way to ascension peak, instead of the plethora of hard mobs. (though pee wee was hilarious)...For instance, you could show up and right away find bela, who wants you to place the artifacts and meet him up there..then when you get up there you don't find the dark savant, you find the t'rang leader and umpani leader, and one or the other possibly becomes greedy, as any mortal would, to possess the cosmic forge. perhaps a feud of sorts erupts and the dark savant appears to take the book by force...then you attack him and know the fate of the universe lies in destroying him and taking the book..or just letting him have it...oh well, i could ramble on about endings but i won't...it was a good game and definitely worth the cash.
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 2:13 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-03-13 18:03, madglee wrote:
Well I finished the game. I was a bit disappointed because of the following:
1) The quest bela had given me to find the orbs and meet him on ascension peak never really came to fruition. he never said what he was speculating about or anything..he was just kind of there.

Yes, I agree...
quote:

2)Where the hell were the T'Rang and Umpani bosses who I united, who said they'd meet me there? I even had a quest to meet them there.
Maybe i missed something, but all i did was put each artifact in its place then go to the top and find the savant, who was a bit easy.

I noticed corpses in large ground before three gates. Maybe they find their destiny there.
quote:

i liked this game pretty much, and i think it was well designed and thank god, bug free, but the ending just seemed to happen. i expected something different, i guess. oh well, don't flame me, i'm not griping, i'm curious to know if anyone else noticed the t'rang and umpani weren't even there

Ind which end did you choose?
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:46 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Well, after listening to the dark savant I decided that he made good sense. True, he was arrogant and cold-hearted, but he knew what he was talking about. So i gave him the book and killed bela and vi. hahahah.. then i restored and finished with both other endings. Which one did you, Danicek?
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:04 pm
Moulin Rogue
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think the T'rang and/or Umpani could've showed up and helped in that rather difficult battle, it would have made things much easier.

I know Sirtech cut a lot of stuff out and was just barely able to get this game out at all... I wonder if some things taken out do involve the T'rang and Umpani and Bela.

Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:14 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-03-15 10:04, madglee wrote:
Well, after listening to the dark savant I decided that he made good sense. True, he was arrogant and cold-hearted, but he knew what he was talking about. So i gave him the book and killed bela and vi. hahahah.. then i restored and finished with both other endings. Which one did you, Danicek?

I choose to write book and become new gods, to kill DS.
Other ends I will try with other parties.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:50 pm

I agree with all of the comments, but I must have missed the bodies. I saved before entering the final location, so was able to try all three endings. The only question I have is that the computer said the status of the parties was saved as a file with a ".sav" end, but the game does not recognize those as saved games. What does one do with these files?
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:34 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Maybe it is file prepared for Wizardry 9 .
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:46 pm