Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Appleseed DVD in stores as of 5-10-2005.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Appleseed DVD in stores as of 5-10-2005.

Appleseed(2005) is out on DVD as of 5-10-2005. I got the Limited Edtion 2-disc tin. If you love Masamune Shirow manga, then you need to race out and purchase this. It's as good as Ghost in the Shell, GITS:Innocence, and GITS:Stand Alone Complex! Like many, I did not care for the original movie at all.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed May 11, 2005 1:59 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I read several reviews, and all of them were less then lukewarm. I am a Shirow fan, but after reading the reviews I'm not so sure if I want to buy the DVD, unless you can tell me *how* it's good...
Post Wed May 11, 2005 4:47 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I read several reviews, and all of them were less then lukewarm. I am a Shirow fan, but after reading the reviews I'm not so sure if I want to buy the DVD, unless you can tell me *how* it's good...

Personally, I felt the movie captured the emotions and personalities of the characters from the manga very well in 3D.

The animation is all CG, but they use techniques to texture characters so they look similar to cell art even though they are 3d.

The settings from the manga lend themselves quite nicely to 3D rendering.

Reviewers ripped the Ghost in the Shell movies also. So I am not surprised reviewers might rip art like this. Of course these self-same critics will give trash like Shrek great reviews, even letting it win the animation award at Cannes.

Jaz, you are the first person I can think of that would likely love this flick! At least rent it!

I rank this one up there with these cyber-anime masterpieces...

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
Metropolis
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed May 11, 2005 2:16 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I saw the opening of the movie, but due to some problems with the subs and everything (I hate ripped DivX versions, but that's what I have right now, usually better than nothing) and and while I think the animation is not better than GitS: Innocence, I liked it better. Innocence has far better animation, when it comes to something different from characters (the parade scene was fabulous and had a jaw dropping effect) but the characters felt completely out of place.

Btw, kengo, however I disliked Final Fantasy : The Spirits Whitin, you must admit that it has far better animation than any other title.
Post Thu May 12, 2005 5:16 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
I saw the opening of the movie, but due to some problems with the subs and everything (I hate ripped DivX versions, but that's what I have right now, usually better than nothing) and and while I think the animation is not better than GitS: Innocence, I liked it better. Innocence has far better animation, when it comes to something different from characters (the parade scene was fabulous and had a jaw dropping effect) but the characters felt completely out of place.

Btw, kengo, however I disliked Final Fantasy : The Spirits Whitin, you must admit that it has far better animation than any other title.

Hey, I am impressed you are actually saying nice things about Innocence. I certainly think Innocence is a deeper movie philosophically and artistically than Appleseed. With that said, I really enjoy Appleseed and highly recommend it!

I agree the animation in Final Fantasy is mind-blowing. I feel the storyline was a weak Aliens rip-off. While I did enjoy the movie, it seemed nothing like Final Fantasy. If they would have named it anything other than Final Fantasy, I would have enjoyed it more. Surprisingly, it did not win an Oscar/Academy Award(even though it was nominated) for animation in 2001.
Post Thu May 12, 2005 7:02 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Naturally, Shrek had no competition that year. FF was pure eye candy movie, while Shrek had great visuals (I admit I only recently saw FF:SW and cannot objectively compare them) and a good plot.

The problem with FF was that It was way too American. I cannot say it other way. The story felt exactly like a typical Hollywood hogwash that is usually served with good old Arni (Schwarzeneger) or whoever fits in the parts these days.

Innocence was a great movie, one of the best I've seen. I only partially disliked the animation, but I admit that a fully 3D Batou would have given me the creeps. And would look rather awkward. Still, I fell that the animators could have done some better work on the characters, since they look a bit awkward against the 3D animation at places, and the mix b/n first person 3D and the standart 3D person view is rather frustrating at times (like in the very beginning of the movie when Batou enters the storage area).

Appleseed, looks good enough to be worth seeing. The opening battle sequence is quite good, though not spectacular or something I have not seen (I admit that after watching the Hellsing series by Gonzo I find that most animes have a serios lack of action, corpse hacking, blood spilling, etc.), but is still very good. A friend of mine also recommended seeing Wonderful Days, which I am definately cheching out as well.
Post Fri May 13, 2005 7:18 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
I admit that after watching the Hellsing series by Gonzo I find that most animes have a serios lack of action, corpse hacking, blood spilling, etc.

Heheheheh...

Post Fri May 13, 2005 6:41 pm