View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Latest Disaster to befall my world

OK, I am in a pickle again.

I have had a SPP in Atreus Cloud for a little while now, and it was just starting to do well. I have 2 transport ships (not including the one I fly) that supply it.

Within the last hour or so I noticed that the sector was getting overrun with pirates. I had a look around and found that there was a pirate base on the far east side of the sector.

Shortly after discovering this, the pirates decided that my ships were a nice target and promptly started destroying them.

I have no way of defending my ships yet as I havent been able to save up for any decent defence. And the ships get destroyed in practically 3 seconds.

I read somewhere that you can ask other ships for help if they are friendly towards you. I presume this doesnt go as far as asking the Argons to come clear up the sector for you?

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get out of this? The only option I can think of is to abandon the station and take my ships to build another one elsewhere. But almost 300K of station is a lot of money for me to lose so early in the game
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:15 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

What type of ship are you using as your station mules? A Manta or an Express with a gamma IRE in the back turret set to "defend ship" can generally outrun pirate trouble well enough to stay alive. You might have to invest in some hull repair from time to time (bring a BIG stack of credits with you), but you probably won't have them go "poof".

As you are discovering, dropping a factory into a sector with a pirate base can be expensive. I can hear you saying "No $hit Sherlock" or perhaps something less kind... How much time do you lose to grab a pre-factory placement save game?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:13 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I am not sure of the exact name of the ships I am using. They are the Argon Human Transport ships (Chose them cuz they were half the price of the freight ships, but were about twice as fast).

I think they do have Gamma IRE's in teh back turret. (I bought a gamma something, it was the one that you can buy at the Argon Equipment Dock in Argon Prime). And it was set to defend the ship.

The ships both have 5(MegaWatt?) sheilds. (As you can see, I am not up on all the terminoligy).

What race are the Manta and Express ships? I dont think I have come across those yet. (Knowing me, I already have one! )

P.S. Loading the save game before I bought the station would make me lose about as much as I would by just abandoning it.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:27 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Mantas are the Boron TP class (human transport) ship, available up in Kingdom's End among other places. The Express is the Argon equivalent, which means you do own a couple already.

While installing 3x5MW shields (15MW total) wouldn't be too pricey, they won't really stand up to a concerted effort by the pirates. 3X25MW would hold up, but you're looking at about 3million credits (IIRC) to get those, which simply isn't worth it.

I assume you've maxxed out the engine tuning so you're cranking along at 216?

I don't know what else to tell you. My apologies. Perhaps some of the smarter folks around here have an idea or two?
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:00 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Those 'Argon Human Transport ships' should be Expresses. The 'Manta' is the Boron equivalent; they're the right choice for this situation.

Atreus Clouds is arguably the most industrialised sector in the game with a severe lack of Energy - great requirements for a SPP. Unfortunately, it also has a hull-eating nebula and a Pirate base. In my game a Khaak attack spurred a massive Pirate attack: around 20-30 ships decided to rampage through the sector.

I've heard of others getting this Pirate war in Atreus Clouds - I'm not sure if it's something that's likely or entirely random.

If it's starting to make money, I would persist - at least until you have enough to build another. If it's a real problem when you have enough money build a SPP at Kingdom End or Red Light (etc etc)and take the transports over there. You can always assign new transports to Atreus Clouds when you have the cash to support it.

You can Comms stations and capital ships for help. They have to be close enough (obviously) and the enemy needs to be actually firing on you (ie., you can't call for help in advance when you see an enemy in the distance).
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:07 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

One other thing, hang in there till you can afford a Nova, then harvest a few pirates while your ships proceed unscathed. I spend a lot of time near Pirate Bases with my Nova; it's both fun and profitable!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:19 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
3X25MW would hold up, but you're looking at about 3million credits (IIRC) to get those, which simply isn't worth it.

Are you sure about that? I can buy the Express from the Argons with 3x25MW sheilds for 600K. But considering that I could buy almost 6 ships with 1xMW sheilds, I was realy reluctant to do so.

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
I assume you've maxxed out the engine tuning so you're cranking along at 216?

Yup, sure did. Maxed out the rudder aswell (Thought maybe that would help them dodge enemy fire).

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
One other thing, hang in there till you can afford a Nova, then harvest a few pirates while your ships proceed unscathed. I spend a lot of time near Pirate Bases with my Nova; it's both fun and profitable!!

Oh trust me, one of those babies is the whole reason I am doing this. Everytime those pirates attack me I just dream of the day Me and My Nova will tear them a new one.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:45 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I just replace transports, now. Irritating at best but nowhere near my income.

At first glance I wanted Arterus Clouds... but then I saw the pirate base. Now I use the sector to raise my reputation with the Boron.

That factory is in for a beating, I'm afraid...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:25 pm