Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Question about the newest patch, and expansions.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Question about the newest patch, and expansions.

I'm just getting ready to start playing Morrowind for the first time. If I install Morrowind and both the expansions all at the same time then do I just need the newest patch (v1.6.1820) and nothing else? I guess what I'm asking is, does v1.6.1820 include all of the content of all the Morrowind patches released before it?

My other question is, should I began my game with both expansions installed right from the begining, or should I add them in later? I'm afraid of accidentally stumbling onto quest that would be too hard for me early in the game.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:41 pm
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If you install both expansion packs, you only need to install the patch for Bloodmoon.

You can start new characters with both expansion packs installed. The assassins from the Tribunal pack may be a little annoying for your early character, but they're not too difficult. Just make sure that your character still has the ability to fight somebody before you rest. If you wait to rest until your character is nearly dead and completely out of magicka, you may not be able to survive (or run away from) an assassin attack.

Also, I'd avoid any combat on Solthseim and Mournhold until your character is at least level 10. If you want to go there and walk around and talk to people (especially in Mournhold), feel free, but the combats in the expansion packs are mostly too tough for early characters.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:02 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I just started the game as well. I would suggest you install only the original game and the patch for the game only. It was suggested to me that I should level up a bit before installing patches, and I'm seeing why. I have found the game hard enough the first time around without adding more quests and harder everythings to it right from the start. I can't remember who told me, but here on the boards it was suggested to add the paks one at a time after playing one time without them. It will add to the fun and make the replay much greater. As I said I am having enough fun and hard times (hehe) with just the original game. Hope this helps.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:04 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, there's no way I'm going to play all the way through Morrowind without the expansions and then play it again with them. I don't have that kind of time on my hands. Also, If I start out with just Morrowind installed then I'll be missing out on some of the bugfixes that the Bloodmoon patch includes.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:42 am
Mike Rotch
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hey, I've been playing Morrowinf for a week and the Journal bugs the crap outta me. Is there a way to upgrade to the updated journal without buying Tribunal, though I'm sure all buy that after I finish Morrowind.

Oh yeah, I already got the patch with the health bar for enemies and such. Is there one for the Journal though? Thanks.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:46 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by cmckj50
I just started the game as well. I would suggest you install only the original game and the patch for the game only. It was suggested to me that I should level up a bit before installing patches, and I'm seeing why. I have found the game hard enough the first time around without adding more quests and harder everythings to it right from the start. I can't remember who told me, but here on the boards it was suggested to add the paks one at a time after playing one time without them. It will add to the fun and make the replay much greater. As I said I am having enough fun and hard times (hehe) with just the original game. Hope this helps.

Actually, you don't need to start the game over ("replay") after you've installed both expansions. You just go on with your character and see what happens. Then about difficulty. Bloodmoon doesn't add to difficulty at all. You can go the another island, and if you do there are new challenges, you can skip it for some time, and voila there are no new challenges. I'd say *install* Tribunal by all means! It's true that you'll have to deal with certain problems while you sleap but then it will make your game easier (!) because those few encounters are easy and you can benefit from them... Pillage, pillage... Tribunal also adds some very nice elements to the journal and some other things. Please, do yourself a favor and start with Tribunal pre-installed. And have a great game!

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:46 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Starting Over

Thanks Stanthony, that was what I meant to say. I don't explain myself well sometimes.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:25 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

If you really don't want to buy Tribunal right now, there's a plugin called the Quest Correlator that will make life much easier for you. It sorts journal entries by quest, and will note what quests are completed- basically, it makes the journal work like it should have from the beginning. The only drawback is that it doesn't run within MW (you have to run it and then print everything out unless you want to switch back and forth).
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:46 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Thanks everyone. I already purchased Tribunal some time ago. I think I'm going to go out and get Bloodmoon also and just start the game with both expansions installed.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:53 pm