Why do RPG's stink now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Why do RPG's stink now?

I love RPG’s. They are basically the only games I like to play besides old school NES, and SNES. I’ll play a demo for an FPS, RTS, or Strategy but that’s about it.
What is driving me nuts is that I hate almost every RPG game that has come out for a long time. I really don’t like the IE games. Combat stinks in them and turns into a chore after a while. And PS Torment, which everyone says is so great, I really didn’t like. Way too much talking.
I think Morrowind is one of the worst RPG’s ever. What kind of RPG system actually works against you building the type of character you want to play? Almost everything about this game except the graphics isn’t good at all. Dungeon Siege was barely an RPG (hopefully some of Ultima mods being made for it come out).
NWN really is horrible. It really was a chore for me to play it as far as I did. And I think that is the biggest problem with most RPG’s coming out. After a while, playing them becomes a chore.
I just finished playing Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed and I think that that is 10 times the game of any RPG since FO 1 and 2. And before that I just finished Quest for Glory 1 and 2. And before that it was lionheart which made me want to play some older games. Before that I tried giving Gothic another try but still didn’t like it. And bore that I played for about 20 hours M&M9 with the patch from telps tavern. I probably could of played it longer but it was becoming a chore.

I don’t understand how people could say Lionheart had too much combat in it. Have you played DS? Or Icewind dale 2? Or 1 for that matter? Every RPG coming out has way too much combat. I would rather fight 10 tough battles than 1000 easy ones.

Where are the inventive games like Darklands? Or Realms of Arkania? Or the fun light rpg’s like GFQ? Wizardry 8 could have been a great RPG if the turn-based (which I love) was kind-of fun. But it made me not want to explore. It wizardry 6 and 7 I remember loving to go to a new area just to fight new monsters. In wiz8 I hated going down the road because 47 wasp things would jump me every 2 feet and each battle would take 14 days and my only strategy was to back up into a crack to protect my back and flanks.
The only RPG that has kept my interest enough for me to beat it has been Arx Fatalis. I would rather replay an old game I have beat 100 times than play all the crap coming out now a days. I would rather play Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranoor more than I would rather play any other D&D game that has been released by Black Isle. I would rather play Eye Of the Beholder 2 before BG 1 or 2.

I almost could have told what games I didn’t like by steering clear of the ones that got good reviews. But Lionheart through that theory out the window. It started out good and the real time combat was almost tolerable until that is what the whole game ended up being.

I am so happy that ToEE is coming out. My only reservation is that Arcanum definitely isn’t one of my favorite games. Or in my top 50. But I also have KotOR (which got way too good of reviews for me to not think that it is another DS or Morrowind or any other RPG that gets good reviews). And also FO3 and I really do hope J.E. does a good job with it. And also Vampire:Bloodlines.
And next week I have the Devil Whiskey demo also, that seems like it should be right up my alley.
And then Grimoire whenever it comes out. And maybe Dragon Lore or whatever the new DW Bradley game is called will be all right.
If any of you are waiting for a pretty good turn-based rpg and really don’t care too much about graphics I can suggest Prelude to Darkness which is a pretty new share ware game that isn’t that bad at all.
Does anyone that has similar taste in RPG’s as I do ever played Wizards & Warriors (By DW Bradley)? And would you recommend it to me?
I don’t know why I made this post. I guess reading about how much fun everyone is having in games I can’t stand is driving me nuts. I just want an RPG that I like to come out.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:16 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

This is a flame topic IMO. You make very little sense after all. You say, for instance, that you don't like hack'n'slash and then you say that you rather play PoR or Beholders that are classic examples of hack'n'slash. And PoR is a very bad example of hack'n'slash.

Further discussion of such manner makes no sense to me. I believe this topic should be closed before it caused any trouble.

EDIT:
You said: "I guess reading about how much fun everyone is having in games I can’t stand is driving me nuts."

And that's exactly why you should just stay calm and avoid posts like that, especially on RPGDot.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:46 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

One word: Gothic

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:42 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well everybody got a right to have an opinion here, as long as they follow the in house rules.

Problem may be that you are a little tired of playing games for the moment, maybe a break on 3-6 month could change that.

Although I'm not only seeing games as black and white, I've to agree that newer CRPG's (0-5 years) has generelly changed to a another playstyle than the older ones. Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I not all pleased with the way the new CRPG's turns out to be regarding playstyle compared to the old ones, but a few newer gems which reminds me of the older school has seen the light like: Arx, Wizardry 8, Gothic 1+2.

BG1+2, Fallout 2, IWD 2, PST etc. are all games NOT in my top 10, but I still had a fair pleasure of playing them. My problem with these games are the perspective, 2nd D&D rules (some of them), RTS like combat, small characters, lack of gameworld immersiveness (feel like you actually are a part of the world).

For me Lionheart is in the group of almost pure hack'n slash games like Diablo 2, Dungeon siege, IWD 1, Divine Divinity, but I actually like those games for what they are.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:18 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

The only rpg I liked a lot that was released in 2003 is gothic 2.

Before that I would say Divine Divinity. I liked arx fatalis ok, but really before that Wizardry 8. So there are probably 1 or 2 a year that are really good by my standards.

Im playing lionheart right now and enjoying it. Its a lot like icewind dale 2 with 1 character for me. Lots of dying and reloading until you get lucky lol. Its not my favorite but its good.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:57 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

OK, I agree with freedom of opinion thing, I just honestly don't see how all recent and not-so-recent games are bad. But, well, to the subject then.

I love IE games. Combat rules in them, I think that once you got used to spacebar pause this is one of the best combat models around. It is a nice mix of real-time/turn-based combat. I liked NWN, too, for I like D&D and appreciate multiplayer feature of this game. I love P:T, for I enjoy good books and obscure philosophical concepts, and this game was like a great adventure-style book with philosophical/religious disputes within. I like that. I think Morrowind was one of the best RPGs ever, with its freedom of action and extremely detailed world that allowed you to roleplay almost every darn character you like. Well, if you feel like roleplaying RPGs that's it. I think that Lionheart *has* a lot of senseless combat even comparing to IWD and IWD2, because, well, if you played it you should know that after you completed the main quest for any guild you joined the rest 2/3 of the game if really action with tons of things to kill and blades sliding out of the floor... Even Diablo wasn't like this. IWD in turn has a nice story and awesome atmosphere, almost the best one out there. I liked Arx ok, but I only saw it on my friend's PC and didn't try it myself. I think I should.

I love old games, too. Quest for Glory was good for it's time. Wizardry series are my favorite, and right now I'm replaying Wiz7Gold for the 3rd time. I think Wiz8 was ok, but a bit too lifeless for modern RPG. I know that I will like W&W. I tryed it on my friend's PC and my order whould arive any day now. So yes, I think in three-four days I will recommend this game to anybody

Beholders were fine for their time, and PoR was not good at all, although I finished it occasionally after starting it over three times. I just like Faerun setting, so I wanted to know what this game was about... In the end of day it turned out to be about killing things. At least I visited Myth Drannor one more time...

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:27 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

At the end of the day this is all about an individual's tastes...but I do think we sometimes colour old games with the glow of nostalgia.

quote:
...but a few newer gems which reminds me of the older school has seen the light like: Arx, Wizardry 8, Gothic 1+2.

Now, I thoroughly enjoyed Arx Fatalis but other than obviously being a tribute to UU I can't see how it resembles old-time RPGs. The atmosphere is excellent but it otherwise does so many things wrong...and when I think of 'old' RPGs I don't generally think of first-person with real-time action combat. Perhaps it's just a matter of the old games I liked - which old-school RPGs does Arx remind you of?

Anyway, there have been highs and lows over the last few years but I think there's a reasonable share of good RPGs.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:34 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Anyway, there have been highs and lows over the last few years but I think there's a reasonable share of good RPGs.

Very well said, Dhruin, very well indeed. Let it be my verdict, too

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:48 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Now, I thoroughly enjoyed Arx Fatalis but other than obviously being a tribute to UU I can't see how it resembles old-time RPGs. The atmosphere is excellent but it otherwise does so many things wrong...and when I think of 'old' RPGs I don't generally think of first-person with real-time action combat. Perhaps it's just a matter of the old games I liked - which old-school RPGs does Arx remind you of?

Well, you wrote it yourself: Arx was as a tribute for the UW1+2, and I think Arx they actually caught the immersive mood and playstyle of the good old UW games quite well. I'm not saying Arx was flawless, just that I like it's playstyle. Not all old CRPG games did only have 2D stepbased playstyle you know. Ofcourse graphics has improved a lot now a days, but we CRPG's players are hopefully not having that topic on our high priority list.

I think I agree with this power of nostalgie thing... but it don't change the fact that the evolution in CRPG playstyles have generelly changed, and I'm not pleased with all the changes.

Yep , the share of reasonable good CRPG's is okay I guees compared to older days.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:36 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony

I love IE games. Combat rules in them, I think that once you got used to spacebar pause this is one of the best combat models around. It is a nice mix of real-time/turn-based combat.

Combat is actually one of my complains in those games: BG1+2, IWD1, PST.
It's a mix of the very boring 2nd D&D rules, and that ONE correct combat strategy that was able to best all of your enemies. I don't mind the mix of real-time/turn-based combat, but I liked to be challenged to use different approaches in combat, and those games did certainly not do that job very well. I know PST had all it's focus on that weird fantasy story, and in combat just put this almost invincible flying skull upfront and you have a ever winning combat strategy. BG2: Was about giving and removing protection spells, everything else was hacking away.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:50 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C
Combat is actually one of my complains in those games: BG1+2, IWD1, PST. It's a mix of the very boring 2nd D&D rules, and that ONE correct combat strategy that was able to best all of your enemies.

This may be true, but then again, we're talking D&D here. I'm not sure the rules (including combat rules) were implemented any better in any other D&D game out there. In fact PoR had attack of opportunity - so in some sense it was better. Michael, I agree with your points, but have to say that I was happy to play D&D on computer, and I was happy with combat as it was, simply because I could play in Faerun again I hope that ToEE will be a pleasant surprise with regard to battles and tactics.

P.S. Combat in P:T as you rightly put it is entirely different story

Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:14 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Could it be that the blame is on ourselves?
I remember started playing computer games around 1993. One of the first games I played back then was UU-I. I was completely hooked on that game and I didn't know it was an CRPG. I didn't know what an RPG was for that matter. Then I got a demo of Anvil of Dawn. I just couldn't stop playing the 5 minute demo and when I got the full game I loved it. Then it came Daggerfall. I remember calling my office faking a flu so I could play all day long. Then Shadows Over Riva, Stonekeep, Lands of Lore...
I have fond memories of all those games (all of them in 1st person perspective.) No new game has got me hooked as all those old games, but I started to think that the problem may be me not the games: It's been 10 years since I started playing, so the problem may be that I just grew older, or that I have played so many games/years that the sense of novelty has just gone, or that because of my age (55) games had just stop impressing me. Still,hope dies last, and I'm eagerly awaiting that games like Grimoire, if it ever comes out, or Devil Whiskey, will bring back that old feeling. Im looking forward to Greyhawk, Dungeon Lords by DW Brailey, and any of those Ultima remakes using newer engines.
Ð.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:36 pm
Dhruin

Devil Whiskey will be an interesting 'experiment'. Of course, it won't really prove much. It could be that it succeeds because of, or in spite of the 'old-school' mechanics and presentation - either way. Or vice versa...if it fails, it may simply be that the quality of writing, balance etc just wasn't as good as it could have been.

Still, it will be fun to find out.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:52 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I agree with the Dragon guy, maybe you are just burnt out on games. That has happened to me a few times before until I found a good way around it.

I try to rotate between the PC style RPG's like Gothic and BG etc and the Console games like FF, Dark Clouds, Xenosagas etc. Usualy they seem to complement each other pretty well, and when I get burnt out on one I can play the other type for a few weeks/months and come back refreshed.

Maybe you should post a list that is a little more succinct. E.g. list the 10 most recent games you hate and the 10 most recent games you liked. Its a little hard to get anything meaningful from your post when its so unstructured.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:38 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

You're right, there isn't any structure at all. It was a pure rant.

Stanthony, I'm sorry my rant angered you at first, I don't know why. But I really don't like POR:RoMD, I just like it better than the IE games, which I really don't like at all

I loved daggerfall, I still make characters with its custom generator. Why I don't like morrowind is because it didn't improve upon anything that sucked in daggerfall--quests, dialoque options, loss of horse and cart to help haul of dugeon goodies, and a million other things. Graphics improved and that is all.

I have to go, my wife is mad about something. I will try and think about the last ten games I bought and liked.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and sorry for angering you Stanthany
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:37 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next