Dreamcatcher forums closed for maintenance
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dreamcatcher forums closed for maintenance

Those heading to the <a href="http://dreamcatcherinteractive.com/forums/" target="_blank">Dreamcatcher forums</a> for some help with 'Dungeon Lords' might be surprised to find they are closed for "maintenance and improvement". Here's the announcement:<blockquote><em>Please be advised that the forums will be closed for maintenance and improvement. We regret any inconvenience that this might cause you. The forums should re-open the week of Monday, May 23rd. For those who require technical support, please visit our Technical Support section at <a href="http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci/support/index.php" target="_blank">http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dci/support/index.php</a>
Post Mon May 16, 2005 9:28 pm

It's Ultima 9 all over again!
Post Mon May 16, 2005 9:29 pm

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This is vexxing. Taking the forums down for a week right when people are using them the most is a great disservice to the community, especially considering the almost pointless quest log and lack of automap in the game. I like to think of myself as pretty sharp, but already I've been relying on some help from the forums for this or that. Now they're gone. Will I still be playing DL in a week? Maybe, maybe not.

There were of course plenty of complaint posts, right or wrong, but the majority of topics were purely about helping eachother figure out the game, and I find this week-long outage to be a real slap in the face.

This has been grumblin' yeesh.
Post Mon May 16, 2005 10:32 pm
Scoundrel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ultima 9 was in a better condition... ( Who am I kidding? )

At least The Avatar had amnesia and asked about everything he already knew, so that new players can understand...

Maybe Dreamcatcher rushed Dungeon Lords and thats why people are trying to figure out whats what.
Post Mon May 16, 2005 10:53 pm
Destroth

I can't even play Dungeon Lords until the 1.2 patch comes out. All my save are stuck in dungeon areas where the are scripting bugs. Unless someone comes up with a no-clip cheat. I will have to restart the game from the beginning. If thats the case I'm still waiting for the 1.2 patch, no way am I going to get trapped again.
Post Mon May 16, 2005 11:40 pm

Ubbax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Posted by Yeesh:
This is vexxing. Taking the forums down for a week right when people are using them the most is a great disservice to the community, especially considering the almost pointless quest log and lack of automap in the game. I like to think of myself as pretty sharp, but already I've been relying on some help from the forums for this or that. Now they're gone. Will I still be playing DL in a week? Maybe, maybe not.

There were of course plenty of complaint posts, right or wrong, but the majority of topics were purely about helping eachother figure out the game, and I find this week-long outage to be a real slap in the face.

This has been grumblin' yeesh.

Agreed..

Lets just hope the forum posts are still there after the maintenance. The last time they performed this type of service, after the Demo release, the forums were gutted.

Meanwhile try the Typhoon forums provided by the Asian Publishers. I think you will find them quite refreshing after the Dreamcatcher forum.

http://support.typhoongames.com/board/default.asp

I hope Heuristic is allowed to make the game what it could/should have been through Dreamcatchers touted upcoming patches.
Post Tue May 17, 2005 12:11 am

Whats really stupid is that they close the fourms down a week after a new game is released? How dumb is that? Unless of course if they are trying to wait out all the pissed off customers and hope they go away after spending thier cash on it.
Post Tue May 17, 2005 12:17 am

Woebringer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Very Chicken-S

As if the game was not bad enough. As if the lack of communication was not bad enough. As if they had any credit at all...

Not that DC was a named that inspired awe or oozed "great games", but add them to the never buy list. Roleplaying an ostrich will not fix your developer's broken game. Ostrizing your customers is going to make things even worse.

-Woe
Post Tue May 17, 2005 2:51 am
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Roleplaying an ostrich; that's hilarious.

Thanks for the tip on the Typhoon forums, Ubbax. They're not quite as good, but they're a whole lot better than nothing. And I've been stuck in that stupid Naga temple far too long...
Post Tue May 17, 2005 3:10 am
Garrett

folks, stop whining. dc has not just taken the dl forums down, they have taken all forums down. so it is not an act against the dl community...ok?
Post Tue May 17, 2005 7:58 am
Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

That's actually irrelevant (besides being faulty logic*) as they couldn't have pulled down their forum at a less auspicious time. Yet another PR blunder from Dreamcatcher and if it's the result of some unavoidable technical issue I really feel sorry for them. Coming so soon after the Dungeon Lords debacle is naturally going to result in this forum issue being associated to the mess that was the game's launch. It doesn't seem like it takes a genius to realize that pulling the official forums offline immediately after a controversial game release is a bad move.

*Ever heard of ‘reasonable deniability’?

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Tue May 17, 2005 9:54 am
2ndlife

quote:
Originally posted by yeesh
Roleplaying an ostrich; that's hilarious.

Thanks for the tip on the Typhoon forums, Ubbax. They're not quite as good, but they're a whole lot better than nothing. And I've been stuck in that stupid Naga temple far too long...

tell me your problem and perhaps i can help. iam ahead of the temple so.
Post Tue May 17, 2005 10:17 am

poot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Maintenance my ass. The PR department closed the forums for good reason. The game is way too bugged. I imaging the 1.2 patch will come out somewhere around the time the forum opens if I am guessing correctly. HP is under a lot of stress right now and closing the forums may take .05% of the pressure of these guys. I hated that they did this, but I can see why they did. I noticed that their forum servers were heavily taxed, so maybe, just maybe, they had to do a few upgrades on their forum servers. Who knows? I plan on buying this game, but only after a few more patches come out and the community deems the game as complete and all the features that were promised are added. I am playing the demo right now as a mage, and I find this game to be very challenging.
Post Tue May 17, 2005 1:21 pm
Garrett

quote:
Originally posted by Priest4hire
That's actually irrelevant (besides being faulty logic*) as they couldn't have pulled down their forum at a less auspicious time. Yet another PR blunder from Dreamcatcher and if it's the result of some unavoidable technical issue I really feel sorry for them. Coming so soon after the Dungeon Lords debacle is naturally going to result in this forum issue being associated to the mess that was the game's launch. It doesn't seem like it takes a genius to realize that pulling the official forums offline immediately after a controversial game release is a bad move.

*Ever heard of ‘reasonable deniability’?

Well, I do not know about their technical issues, but I know that a few of the more popular forum softwares need updates to fox possible expoits. why is everybody so negative and harsh, tell me??? btw - a lot of people on the dc forums did actrually enjoy dungeon lords, did you realize that???
Post Tue May 17, 2005 2:09 pm
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm not a BB software expert or anything, yet I am nontheless 100% sure that software updates do not require a week of downtime. Ever. I've worked with servers, as have many of us no doubt, and yet never in my years of experience have I planned to take any client-facing server down for a whole week. Sure, you could have some problem and service could be interrupted for a really long time, but a planned, in-place upgrade intentionally taking a week is a little far-fetched. You do it at night and finish before morning. If you are developing a new whatzit, you keep the old one in place until it's ready. That's just how you do it.

But what do I know? Maybe there's some really good reason that they just don't feel like sharing with us. You are right G, most people on the forums were enjoying the game and more importantly enjoying the forums. That's what makes the move so lame.
Post Tue May 17, 2005 3:23 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next