Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone play like me? (also... Arnika mystery?)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by jaxon121
The only reason I upgraded to lvl6 was that Vi starts at 6, so I figured my other guys might as well be 6 too, since spawns are based on your highest level char.
This is probably not the case. Other players have suggested it's based on either your lowest level character, or on some sort of average. This was tested (not by me) on Arnika Road by keeping 1 character at level 1, while the rest of the party was leveled up, with the results being weaker encounters.

@Dte - It seems like it's all up to you now to do the hard work. Sorry, I don't mean to be abandoning you.
Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:37 pm
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It seems pretty strange to me that the game penalises you for levelling up. It was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it to be honest.
The Arnika Road and Arnika town parts really did for me as I ended up running from enemies scared of another 15 minute battle.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:16 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The autoleveller merely keeps the challenge there. The stretch from the monestary to Arnika is the biggest mismatch of party power to monster power, but that's intentional to get the party the XP they need to be level 7 when they reach town. The battles can be a bit tedious at times, but at least you don't have to deal with 20 green slimes with your level 20 party. Another aspect of the intentional mismatch is to teach players early on that a little caution can be wise. You aren't going to plow thru every battle that you come across. Personally, I liked that. I never bank levels, and wouldn't really consider it- so the game plays for me just the way Sir-Tech balanced it. I never felt the need to powergame by banking levels or doing a ton of skill training.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:36 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2