New guy is a bit loss here..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Arc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

New guy is a bit loss here..

Good day to all of you here in Gothic forums. I'm a new guy here and i could use a bit help right now.
I just started playing G2 with TNotR. I've played G1 through before this and played once to Chapter 3 in original G2 without the addon.
I noticed some differences right from the start (actually all of them have been really good in my oppinion.) and i'm still in Chapter 1 inside Khorinis exploring all the new things that have been added there. One thing that bothers me a bit, is that how excatcly do i get to the new addon place? Is it via the circle of water?
And do i need to be in a high lvl to actually stay alive in there? I hope not too high, because i would really like to first complete the addon and after that the original G2 story. Is it true that the addon is way too hard using a magician? I mean, i prolly use a paladin in my first game but in the future i might want to play mage too.. Btw, all character build-up tips are welcome too!
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:30 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hello and welcome!

In my opinion the best course of action would be to play in the 'regular' world as long as possible, so you can gain experience and level up before you hit the 'new' world... its denizens can be a real hassle if you go there too early.

You needn't be afraid of finishing the main quest first, because that's impossible. You'll arrive at a certain point in the game when there's no other option left than visiting the addon world, and that's in Chapter 3 (the latest).

And yes, the Circle of Water is the 'way' to the addon world, just as you guessed.

As for player classes - playing G2 + addon as a paladin is the easiest way to go. But after you've done that you - as a player- will be experienced enough to encounter less trouble when playing as a mage next time (though it sure is a lot more difficult).
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:22 pm
Arc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you Jaz for your tips, they are more than welcome!
So you are going to the addon world in chapter 3 at the latest, ok. Fair enough.
Could you give some kind of reccomendation about the lvl i should be when i go there? If you say really high lvl, please add some hints how to get the expirience.

Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:34 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I went to the addon world when I was ~level 20 (mainly because I had forgotten all about the addon quest, and then suddenly there was nothing left to do but go there), which worked well enough. I reached level 20 simply by doing all possible (Militia/Paladin/free) quests up to that point.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:45 pm
Arc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What?! Lvl 20? So you're serious about that?
Sheesh...this is going to take a really long time...I thought that having char a bit over 10 would be high enough and still it would take some time to get there... Maybe i just have'n't done enough those sidequests..
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:54 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I went at the beginning of chapter 2 (before the Valley of Mines) and found it challenging, but manageable. And towards the end, I could handle anything in the addon world.

When I went I was either at level 10 or 11 - don't recall. I played a Paladin..
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:32 pm
Arc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks elkston. That really cheered me up!
If you found it to be manageable with lvl ~10, then at lvl 20 it could be even too easy..We'll see.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:59 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just to clarify, when I say "towards the end", I mean towards the end of the AddOn portion of game -- not the entire G2.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:21 pm
Arc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, I have a couple new things to ask and thought i could use this same place for them.
1) I don't know if i did something wrong, but i can't find the guy Lares says me to find (using the circle of water ring) from the harbour..Just to make sure, could someone point out the guy so I could confirm if it's bugging or something.
2) Is there any point in learning to forge different kinds of swords once you start as the apprentice of the blacksmith? AS far as i've thought no.
3) I can't remember, how did i aquire the heavy militia armor?
4) What quests should i attend to now when i'm still only lvl 4? I mean outside the khorinis? Basically i've done all the militias quests from andre (not the find the thieves guild though) And i think that i can't find any more those minor quests from the citizens or i can't get them any further at this point.
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:00 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

1) I don't know if i did something wrong, but i can't find the guy Lares says me to find (using the circle of water ring) from the harbour..Just to make sure, could someone point out the guy so I could confirm if it's bugging or something.

You should just wear the ring and talk to everyone in town. The correct person will recognize it and say something to you.

If you *realy* want to cheat:
Spoiler:
Its the Trader right next to the INN adj the Barracks

2) Is there any point in learning to forge different kinds of swords once you start as the apprentice of the blacksmith? AS far as i've thought no.

It depends on what character you are playing. As far as I know the Smith will only buy the basic weapon from you (I make crazy money with that). Any better swords you make would have to be sold to other people, and would probably not get you any more than the 150GP that the smith gives for basic swords.

I wouldnt waste my time making swords to use, unless you are going to go all the way and make magic ore weapons. But then again I am sure you can find one if you look hard enough. There is usualy multiple ways of getting everything in G2.

3) I can't remember, how did i aquire the heavy militia armor?

Havent played Militia yet...

4) What quests should i attend to now when i'm still only lvl 4? I mean outside the khorinis? Basically i've done all the militias quests from andre (not the find the thieves guild though) And i think that i can't find any more those minor quests from the citizens or i can't get them any further at this point.

I personaly try to do *every* quest. I doubt its possible to finish all the quests you receive in chapter one by staying in chapter one. But I am still in the first chapter and I am already lvl 12. I try to complete all the quests I can and get to a point where I have to option of joining any guild. Then I save the game to a seperate slot so I can go back and play another guild afterwards.
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:28 pm
maic_ro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Just play the game and everything will come...if you still need advices every step of the way read the guide ..one is beeing concive but there are planty at www.dlh.net
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:04 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

About the armor, in the original game you could buy it in the Valley of Mines for 2400 gp or something, but im not sure how this goes in the expansion
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:55 pm
Arc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the tips guys!
As for the armor, I don't know either, but VoM would be a great place to start.
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:26 pm
Lacni
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Heavy militia armor u can still buy from engor in VOM.

My personal opinion is that it is usless to forge anything else than basic swords (and even this only if u r aprentice of harad - he only buys basic swords). Every other sword u can forge is worse then the ones u can buy or find.

As for the addon area: for the first time i wouldnt go there before ch3, and even that after u have become paladin.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:56 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

It is VERY useful to forge in G2 with add-on. First, the weapons what you make have lower STR requirement then many similar weapons you can buy or will find in the game. On top of it, the weapon you make yourself have a bonus to the combat skill, while most of the weapons what you'll find in the game do not have it. Not to mention that it's good way to make money, just collect the steel bars, all you can find, buy all you see on sale, and then turn into swords. Don't waste time with the first basic one, make only the best one you can learn. Easy and fast money.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:07 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next