Gothic 3: Interview Pt. 1 @ RPG Codex
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Gothic 3: Interview Pt. 1 @ RPG Codex

RPG Codex has posted the first part of a Gothic 3 <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=131" target="_blank">interview</a> with Piranha Bytes' Kai Rosenkranz:<blockquote><em><b>1. Let's start at the beginning. How do you evaluate the first two Gothic games and the expansion? What do you see as strengths to build on and what as weaknesses to improve?</b> <br> <br>Kai Rosenkranz: The Gothic series has evolved. Since we started in 1997, we have constantly improved the Gothic games and eliminated many of the weak points from the first instalment. The original Gothic 1 established a certain atmosphere which became the typical "look and feel" of the series. Even though all the previous Gothic titles were very different in terms of mood and setting, we tried to maintain the fresh roughness and coolness of the world and its inhabitants. One of the most important features of all Gothic games is the lifelike gaming world and the realistic behaviour of both humans and creatures. <br> <br>In order to be able to wipe out the weaknesses, we had to be very aware of what the players liked or disliked. In close cooperation with the community we identified the worst faux-pas (such as the incomprehensible interface or the gradual loss of tension in the later chapters) and passed them on to a major overhaul. Of course any of the Gothic games has its own strengths and weaknesses, and with each new instalment new boobs wormed their way into the design . But on the other hand, innovative features and the lifelike gaming world make up for these minor nuisances and the overall gaming experience pleased the majority of players.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed May 03, 2006 3:40 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Very good read !!!
Post Wed May 03, 2006 3:42 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I really like KaiRo's sense of where the game is and what it is about ... he is so much more in tune with where gamers are with this series than many other developers seem to be.

Since I'm already torqued about this game it was nothing but fodder for the wonder machine ...

Check out my blog.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 4:22 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Funny I didnt notice any big boobs in Gothic 2.

I just hope they don't dumb down the combat interface too much.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 5:06 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Some great in-depth game theology revealed here. Yes indeed, role-playing where the "consequences" of your choices "effect" yourself and your destiny.
This strong leaning towards "dialogue role-playing" is surely the highest level of human thought interaction within a game. It's no wonder the hero is nameless - he IS actually you in spirit. I have great expectations of Gothic 3.

@ToddMcF2002
Yeah, dumbing down not only combat but dialogue interpretation as in oblivion for the sake of 12 year olds would sure spoil the show.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 5:48 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
@ToddMcF2002
Yeah, dumbing down not only combat but dialogue interpretation as in oblivion for the sake of 12 year olds would sure spoil the show.

It's funny that this has come up here ... it makes me think of the RPGCodex 'review' and references to Jedi Academy. Much of Oblivion has the feeling of that Jedi Academy 'press 1 for the light side 2 for the dark side' moment ...

Check out my blog.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 5:56 pm
ikbenrichard

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Some great in-depth game theology revealed here. Yes indeed, role-playing where the "consequences" of your choices "effect" yourself and your destiny.
This strong leaning towards "dialogue role-playing" is surely the highest level of human thought interaction within a game. It's no wonder the hero is nameless - he IS actually you in spirit. I have great expectations of Gothic 3.

@ToddMcF2002

well said !.
i indeed hope gothic 3 will NOT make the same mistake.
sometimes i hate money, it ruins so much.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 6:23 pm

Talking of Oblivion dialogue, it is so obvious that I wonder why people don't seem to care. The attentions seem to be paid to the voice recording than to the content. However, many people seem to think the combat is improved in Oblivion. Then again, that of Morrowind didn't have many rooms to be dumbed down.

The story and the dialogues of Gothic series didn't impress me much...I felt the "nameless hero" was pretty much anti-hero stereotype. Also, Gothic II combat balance was questionable among factions and toward the end.

I think the strength of Gothic series is (not just pretty) good graphics and NPC AI to create atmosphere. More dynamic usage of AI in terms of story is definitely interesting.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 6:50 pm

Morrowind was 100% American Trash that game was pure smelly crap. Then Oblivion oh god i didnt think they would create the same trash as the last game but looks like they dont learn what do you expect from American Devs? We all know Americans cant create a RPG only generic boring military shooters just like there country kill kill kill shoot shoot shoot type mentaities.

Oblivions Dialog was boring specially all the voice actors they hired professionals but they were extremetly boring every reaction sounded the same it sounded like they were reading words from cue cords it didnt feel real its like oh here is a sad/serious scene *picks up cue cards* *puts on phony sad/serious voice*

Voices in Gothic 1 were alot more memorable so were the characters Oblivion doesnt even have any characters its just all 1500 generic characters with same faces same clothing just a different name and same voice actor pretty much for every kind of race not to mention the boring combat generic unfun quests.

I could go on, wile we talk about Gothic 3 dont insult it with American Trash

Now back to Gothic 3 cant wait for this game.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 9:59 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Morrowind was 100% American Trash that game was pure smelly crap. Then Oblivion oh god i didnt think they would create the same trash as the last game but looks like they dont learn what do you expect from American Devs? We all know Americans cant create a RPG only generic boring military shooters just like there country kill kill kill shoot shoot shoot type mentaities.

Oblivions Dialog was boring specially all the voice actors they hired professionals but they were extremetly boring every reaction sounded the same it sounded like they were reading words from cue cords it didnt feel real its like oh here is a sad/serious scene *picks up cue cards* *puts on phony sad/serious voice*

Voices in Gothic 1 were alot more memorable so were the characters Oblivion doesnt even have any characters its just all 1500 generic characters with same faces same clothing just a different name and same voice actor pretty much for every kind of race not to mention the boring combat generic unfun quests.

And you seem so full of love and tolerance.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 12:31 am

Gothic series includes lot of "killing," I think... To be absolutely honest, many RPG don't have good dialogues. I think Planescape :Torment and Deus EX are rather exceptional.

I am reluctant to defend Oblivion but I found the background world of Morrowind is more intellectually done than the most of CRPG settings are. The below is from Wikipedia

quote:
The Elder Scrolls series, especially since Morrowind, is famous in part because of its unique setting. Since Daggerfall, The Elder Scrolls universe and cosmology have been developed both by a dedicated team of writers and contributions from all the developers. The Series' setting is not traditional for fantasy, as it is designed with believability and authenticity in mind, and aims for real world complexity and subtlety. There is nothing clear and definite in the world's state or history unlike most fantasy worlds, but rather there are many points of view, expressed in texts produced by various parties and interests, as in the real world. Morrowind has no fight between good and evil, but rather its own philosophy of change and stability, of political and cultural transformation and evolution within the world and some ideas put forward being very interesting on their own. The game has over 300 books (not counting scrolls), which together contain over 1500 standard pages of text, more than any other game. Nearly all books are part of Morrowind, and Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions only add about 50 texts including scrolls. This doesn't include about 5000 pages of dialogue, many of which also contain information about the game world.
Together, in-game books and dialogues allow attentive players to feel a much more lively and detailed world than just what is seen on the screen. The mysteries of The Elder Scrolls universe have attracted many players, who have taken to jokingly calling themselves loremasters, to study its nature.

Unfortunately, Morrowind has rather limited interactive content but you can see quite many subtle things including NPC interactions such as subtle political conflict depending on your faction and their disposition if you are accustomed to the lore. Also, the majority including even some hardcore CRPG players seem to miss the real point of the literature in Morrowind, which may appear to be useless at a glance. About interactiveness of these complex political structure, the Elder Scroll Series are gettting less and less ambitious.

Hopefully, Gothic III will be able to offer an interesting dynamic political interaction even if it will be much more simpler than Daggerfall and Morrwoind were.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 12:45 am

Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Wow, I didn't expect such an interview of RPGCodex, well done.

Now let's wait what the E3 brings, hopefully the second part of the interview isn't solely about things we're going to see at the E3.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 7:54 am

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

And you seem so full of love and tolerance.

I'm a very loving person
Post Thu May 04, 2006 5:35 pm

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

..and perhaps one of these days you can actually get someone to love you back as well
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu May 04, 2006 9:25 pm

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
..and perhaps one of these days you can actually get someone to love you back as well

When you look as good as me those things come natural but being American you're obviously unattractive 40 years old and wear glasses and consume alot of mcdonalds meals hunt for preteens on blog sites and shop at Wal-Mart.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 10:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next