Author Thread
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Mages in gothic 3

As you know the magicans are very important. In gothic1 the spells like:
healing: 10 hit points/1mana
fire ball: 30 damage/1mana max:5
These were much better than in gothic 2(and the haling in gothic 1 is nicer ) So in gothic2 NOTR the mana points were very-very expensive. 1 points, 2 points, 3 points and then 4 points for only 1 mana?! Hm.... This isn't too pleasant. I mean the magican must have many-many mana, but he also must know how to make runes..... This can't be true.... When you're a good magican, have a lot of mana, know some magic circles, you can't have much strenght, and you aren't a master fighter. So in gothic 2 NOTR the magican is really poor.... (i have one so i know) What will be in gothic 3? Is there any news from the magicans?
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:55 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well I don't like playing for mages, so it doesn't matter to me
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:25 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Re: Mages in gothic 3

This is sad. Someone knows it?
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:08 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I don't think any info like that has been released?
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:46 pm
nemo16
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

the magicians truly have a great potential, but (there's always a "but") i don't think that they have such an important part in Gothic series
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:15 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Could careless never even tired playing a mage, Warrior all the way

But i hope they make the magic more flashy and look nice in Gothic 3 i always use melee combat but i like to try the odd spell once in awile.
Post Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:44 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

The reason why mages weren't so good in the previous Gothics was that they concentrated on the melee combat system more.

I think.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:28 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

But there will be mages. And btw I better like caracters who can cast spells, but can fight. Like the novices were. I hope there will be sth like that.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:16 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Maybe they should add some new classes im not sure what they have in the game cause i havent read much dont wanna spoil it.

But instead of forcing characters to focus on one type of fighting style and class like Warrior or Mage maybe they should add a Battle Mage?

He uses magic and is trained in one handed swords so that would be nice to add although i wouldnt use him/her i'd still be the warrior.

One thing i hate about playing the Warrior in games although usually the Warrior character looks really cool and has awesome armor and weapons his special abilities and moves are always really stupid and boring compared to other characters like in Sacred the Gladiators were so crap so really need to add some really fancy powerful moves like Final Fantasy 7 style
Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:52 pm
Gaidal Cain
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

bleh, I think most people who like gothic, like it in part because of the fact that magic isn't an omnipresent thing like in most games. I like that, In my game I always try to never use magic at all. which is impossible in games like morrowind where you are required to use magic to solve a number of quests. you can play gothic in its entirety without ever really coming in contact with magic, that is a big plus for me.
Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:02 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

About the magic itself is very little know. There will be around 50 different spells and like others have said the mageclass won't be a seperated class. Anybody, fighter or non-fighter can learn magic. So things like pure-mage and fighting-mage are easier to do than it was in the previous games.

Magic will be unknown in the beginning of the game. In other words you'll have to do certain things to invent/unlock/find magic.

Furthermore there will be several percs (the different skills/moves you can learn) that will influence your magical powers, one of them is mana recovery over time, with that skill your mana will replenisch itself over time.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:24 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

If this is really true, this is a good idea. Mana replenishes itself.... And there won't be poor mages like in NOTR.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:37 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

The attitude of many who are saying "bleh, mages, the game is better off without them" bothers me - if the game is going to have a magic system, why *not* balance it with the others?

The bottom line that some have said is true - you really aren't going to be like the STR=8, max CHA Sorceror I had in NWN HotU that could mow down wave after wave of enemies using spells alone. Indeed, on one run of Gothic 2 I tried to do a 'pure mage', using a staff and saving my LP for mana and runes. However, I quickly found that almost completely impossible! And certainly not much fun ...

I like the idea that your nameless character has to possess significant weapons skills, but think that the game should be a bit more balanced to being a 'battlemage' - currently you need to very carefully plan your character to be effective in that regard. I have also always thought it absurd that a level 1 n00b casting a fireball does *exactly* as much damage as a level 40 Fire Mage who has mastered all the magical circles.

So I don't want magic to replace the weapon focus, just some improvements to make the battlemage archetype more playable. Regenerating mana is one, but magical damage bonuses would be another.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:04 pm
No-name
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

maaagic! ooohh magic!! my favourite...

I heard tht if you want to be a mage or to lear magic you must be one of the Nordmar warriors only that way you will be able to use magic
It's true..magic will not be present in the beginnig of the game..but what about those ones who played G1 and G2 as mages..since the hero will not be physically affected and won't lose any skill the where will his magic dissapear??
I wonder..
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:51 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, yes this is quite interesting. In gothic 1 you was a mage. In gothic 2, when you come back from that ,,evil" temple you loose all your powres. Well, not so clever, but all right. But in gothic 2, you want to be a mage again, and in gothic 3? How will it happen? You are traveling with a ship and? Will you loose all your powers again? Yes i think but how?

And you can't be a mage?????
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next