Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Major Matrix Miscalculation?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Am I the only one that sees a major Matrix MMORPG flop?
No way, the Matrix is going to do just fine
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
The Matrix isnt going anywhere but south!
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Major Matrix Miscalculation?

Every time I see an advertisement for "The Matrix Online", I see sort of a skull and crossbones watermark on the image in my mind. That game is doomed I tell you, doomed to die a thousand deaths. Or one really thorough one. Nevertheless, this franchise didnt exactly die the second the last sequel left the big screen, but it isnt strong enough to warrant an MMORPG in my opinion. It's about 2 years too late as well. Im not a big Matrix junkie but I know enough about pop culture and about online gaming to know a major misfire when I see one.

Some industry suits are gonna be taken to the woodshed over this one, mark my words!

Think Im wrong?
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:26 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Actually, while I do agree with you, Sam, MO may score some players for some time, since it is one of the few MMORPG that is not fantasy. And it is not sci-fi either.
But not that much and not for long. It will be a huge flop, together with MEO and DnD Online
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:51 am
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I hope you are wrong. I'm no Matrix fanboy, but I do like the premise of the game. You gotta admit, an MMO ties in perfectly with the Matrix storyline. And as you mentioned before, it's not traditional RPG fantasy. Big guy with sword? Been there, done that. And the community seems much nicer than the one from my old MMO.

The only thing that can screw up this game IMHO is the stigma of the last two movies. People just kind of went ".....eeh". If it's a good game in it's in own right, it should be fine.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:50 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

The game is very reminescent of AO, and AO seemed to have found it niche and is still kicking around. There are also lots of fanbois around to keep it going for a while. The game has official backing of WB and the W brothers (or whatever they are supposed to be called these days) will certainly pour lots of $$ into it to keep (supposedly) their intellectual property hot and ongoing. Finally, the game seems to be the first major hitter to deliver on the promise of a dynamic storyline by hiring a professional writer as well as 20+ actors to act major character parts in real time and get the public involved. Their content managers or whatever they are called have been actively playing major faction characters (Morpheus, the Franchman, etc.) in the game to get people active in the politics of the game.

All of those things don't guarantee success, but I do believe that it has a chance of being a sleeper hit. Or at least a sleeper survivor.
Post Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:54 pm
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I want to retract my vote for this. I had some drama in WoW over how people acted. I found MxO. People there seemed cool. Mature, yet loose enough to have fun. So I'm frothing at the mouth to play this game. I even order a new computer. Someone raised an issue of bringing back some old beta forums. I disagreed because I didn't see the value at first. After w-a-y too many dramatic page-long posts by myself and others, I'm just burned out on MMOs period.

The thing that got me is the person that flamed and flamebaited me the most hid behind "let's act civil". I know enough corporate speak games to see through that bullshit. And when I call them on it, in the same civil tone they advocate, then I'm the bad guy. I'm the "flamer".

I don't know if I'm making any sense or not, but I feel stupid for ever trying both WoW and MxO. It's spring. I'm turning off the computer and going outside.
Post Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:12 pm
Randalt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, the long winter is over, finally. Got to get some sun!
I love this game, I'm playing it solo, on teams, and despite my dialup lag it's mostly enjoyable. The community is a big thing. Some ALL CAPS children but tolerable for the most part. Everybody has an understanding of the story through the movie franchise.
I used to play AO but quit after they started Shadowlands. Keep the swords & sorcery to a minimum in MxO and I'll keep playing.
Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:32 pm