Anito: ANY REVIEWS OR COMMENTS?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
NPCMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anito: ANY REVIEWS OR COMMENTS?

I would really like to hear some kind of review or comment on how this game plays. Is it hack n' slash? Good NPC interaction? All that good stuff. So if you have played it yourself or know where I can find a review of some kind, please post.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:26 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10075&games=786
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:48 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm not into Asian themes, sorry, but it looks like an asian Diablo from everything I've posted.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:54 pm
NPCMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have already been to that link. I have read all the interviews and previews. I have even been to the homepage a few times. However, I have not found ANY reviews of the game as of yet. So, if you have a REAL review, and not just a preview, please post it.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:24 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Sorry, from what I've seen the game was only recently released. I'll see if I can find anything else out.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:31 pm
Dhruin

It's a bit early to expect any reviews on this game from most media outlets. There might be something on Phillipino sites but I don't know/track any of those. RPG Codex has done an Anito preview and a chat so I would think they'll do a review in due course.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:06 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

The homepage link in the database (http://www.aninoentertainment.com/anito.html) leads to an inexistent page (404).
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:28 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Gack, they changed it. It should be: http://www.aninoentertainment.com/products/anito/index.php
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:48 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Thanks, fixed.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:24 pm
R2k
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anito: Review At Gameophilia
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:57 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

I've only tried the demo .... and I liked it a lot!
The graphics are MUCH better than NWN, especially considering the fact that the game was produced by a rookie company. The spell effects execute a bit quick, so there's not enough time to see full details of the effects. The characters' animations are ... satisfying. Btw, the game looks significantly better than on the screenshots.
The story seems to be interesting and feels very exotic to me, a western player. The dialogs are written exceptionally good, no grammar mistakes, etc. Each item in the game has an interesting and detailed description, plus a picture. The way dialogs are structured and written reminds me of somewhat simplified Planescape and Fallout version. I'm not sure how much of dialogs are there in the full game, but what I saw in the demo I liked.
Sounds are decent too. The music, while annoying in the beginning, kind of grows on you when you realize that it's mostly native Fillipino tunes. The main character's voice is quality. Ambient sounds are in there too.
The interface is not as bad as some people claim it is. There's nothing bad with the interface actually. You even have a well organized journal and a map with local and global views. I found a really annoying issue with dialog window though. While dialog window works really well for the most part and actually feels like dialog (with moderately long speeches and people's portraits being displayed), when you select your response you get to see your character saying that line that you chose. It's very annoying during long dialogs as basically you read your selections twice, and have to press Next button twice to advance the dialog.
Little cute things add to the gameplay. Like when you cast a Fear spell on a guard in the tutorial, he says something like "Ok ok, I'm really scared now, you may pass", which kind of shows how n00bish you're in the very beginning Or when your character gains a level he says "I feel stronger", and a green spiritual figure appears over his body. Is it how it was in Planescape, or am I imagining things here? And when you watch cocks fight, you actually see them fighting to death, kind of like dogs' fight in Baldur's Gate. Very cool.
The controls might have been better. WASD is no-no for games like this, and you can't use mouse to move your character. You can use mouse to perform different in-game actions though, so it's ok. The combat is about of the same quality as in Planescape, so people looking for satisfying combat or anything similar to Diablo can relax. It's not a hack-n-slash in any way.

So here's my little "demo review". The game was made with production quality in mind, without a publisher pressing to release an unfinished product asap. So basically what you see is what you get. I guess there're aren't many bugs, since the team is new to gaming market and is trying to make a good impression. It's by no means an amateurish product. The team consists of 10 people and judging from the final result they knew what they were doing. I'll spend some more time with the demo and will probably order the full version, especially considering the lack of real choices of RPGs these days. Kind of hard to find what I like among ToEE, KOTOR, or NWN:HoU.

Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:13 am