Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Finally going to play Wiz. 8 Some questions for the experts.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

In the monastery jump into the water by the bridge/elevator and follow the stream outside and you should find some resurrection powder.

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:21 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There's a second source of ressy powder in the monestary.

If you're playing the final patch (v1.2.4), pickpocket is practically worthless. You won't miss it at all.

Never, ever spend points in communication or mythology. They will increase enough on their own. For a bard, I'd go with music, locks-n-traps, and some sort of combat skill (unless your gadgy is covering the l-n-t, then substitute in another combat skill).
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:42 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
There's a second source of ressy powder in the monestary.

If you're playing the final patch (v1.2.4), pickpocket is practically worthless. You won't miss it at all.

Never, ever spend points in communication or mythology. They will increase enough on their own. For a bard, I'd go with music, locks-n-traps, and some sort of combat skill (unless your gadgy is covering the l-n-t, then substitute in another combat skill).

Thanks dteowner, yes my Gadgy is my lock and traps person. I guess I'll go Music-Sword-Thrown for my Bard.

My cd's came already patched at v1.2.4.

Having a great time so far. At level 5 already. It seems you level up quickly in this game. I'm not sure if I like the way monsters level up with you.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:16 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

If it's not too late, I'd probably make the bard do l-n-t. A gadgy has more skills that need boosted (engineering, modern weapon, ranged combat). The bard can dump points into l-n-t without sacrificing other skills.

You won't always level up that quickly. In fact, at level 5 you "should" be done with both the lower and upper monestary and starting the road. There's a lot of debate over the autoleveller. Most people like it. Expect to struggle on Arnika Road. There's really no point in the game where the power of the monsters is as strong compared to the party.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:32 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I'm only about half-way done with the upper monastary, I just found that Burzz fellow. I think I'm level 5 already because I've went back to the beach twice to camp and I think it caused some monsters to respawn?

I'm not sure if I'm willing to start putting points in l&t for my Bard. Right now my Bard has 0 points in l&t while my Gadgy already has 20.

What levels can I expect to reach near the end of this game?

On a side note... I'm really disappointed about the lack of use for pickpocketing and shoplifting in this game. That's one of my favorite things to do in most RPG's. If I did decide to put some points in Pickpocket for my Bard, how high do I need to go to have some success in it?
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:37 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Burz is not in the upper monestary. He's in an upper floor of the lower monestary. You've got a long way to go.

There's a fair range of levels you could be at for the end of the game depending on how you follow the various story branches. Mid-30's is probably fair.

The problem with pickpocket is that merchants remember if you do it, even if you don't get caught in the act. The designers felt that merchants/NPCs would be smart enough to notice things missing shortly after your party left. Pickpocket was insanely profitable in the third patch but totally nerfed in the fourth and final patch. For some reason, I never pickpocket/steal in any RPGs so I can't help you much with what skill level you'll need.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:31 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

What's the biggest factor for determining hit points for a character? Is it profession?

Thinking about starting over and having my Bard be my L&T person like you suggested. The only thing is that I noticed my Bard has decent hit points while my Gadgy is kinda low in that department which is why I would rather concentrate on fighting skills for my Bard (after Music of course) and make her my 3rd good fighting character.

Not going to worry about pickpocketing i guess. Too bad about them nerfing it like that. It was something I found a lot of fun in CRPG's like Gothic and Baldurs Gate. (and of course the almighty Thief series)
Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:45 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

STR, VIT, and profession. Probably a small random element in there, too.

Build your party however you see fit. The game can be won with any party and individual characters can be developed lots of different ways. Build a few parties with different classes or different skill assignments. Run them thru the lower and upper monestary. Decide what you like and then take that sort of party onto the Arnika Road.

A bard makes a decent melee character if you want to do that. The only drawbacks are running out of stamina (combination of music, combat, and taking more wounds can be draining), and the fact that the bard starts with the worst armor in the game.
Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:18 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think I'll keep going with my current party. My biggest enemy is time. With so many games ,I don't play many of them more than once. Besides, with Oblivion right around the corner, I want to play Morrowind again from the start. (I never did finish it)

Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you updated.

Go Red Wings!
Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:41 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Since you won't be getting the resurrection spell for a long time I think the only option is to use resurrection powder. You might have some unidentified stuff in your pack. It requires a reasonable identify skill so you probably can't ID it yet, but that doesn't stop you from being able to use it. It can be purchased from the cleric in arnika too if you made it that far.

EDIT: I am sorry for my response, I must admit I did not read any of the replies on the second page (didn't realise there was a second page), so you had best go with the suggestions above.

Last edited by bjon045 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:50 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
Besides, with Oblivion right around the corner, I want to play Morrowind again from the start. (I never did finish it)

I know this is quite off-topic here, but I also wasn't able to finish it. I even purchased it twice, second time when the GOTY with both expansions pack was really cheap. And I tried to get through 3 times. I lost motivation to do so every time. Hard to say why...
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:10 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, I'm in Arnika now, and I think I've done just about everything there. I've also added Myles and Vi Domina to my party (any good reason to keep them?) I'm not sure what to do next as I haven't been given any specific quest from anyone. I found the Wheel key in the temple, should I go back to the Monastary?
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:12 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Drop Myles, he's an xp leech. Vi at least has something to do with the story at the end. You can go back to the Monastary or you can head out on the road and explore.
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:08 pm
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

When you talk to people in Arnika, they will mainly talk about three groups: the umpani, the t'rang, and the trynnies. Any one of these three is the next "logical" place to go besides going back to the monastery.

You can explore any where you wish though. Some places will just be harder than others...
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:24 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Drop Myles, he's an xp leech. Vi at least has something to do with the story at the end. You can go back to the Monastary or you can head out on the road and explore.
Since I wanted to see what story bits Vi would add but refused to pick up RPCs, I ended up hiring her just before completing AP. Naturally, she promptly died in that final battle before seeing the Dark Savant, but I resurrected her and then went into the final "room". To be honest, I was a little disappointed in what she added, but it was still fun to see. Moral of the story, there's no real reason to use RPCs. As Val says, they're mostly XP leeches.

_gator gives good advice as usual. FWIW, most of the time I head back to the monestary and then continue north.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:28 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next