Usergroups
what r u playing right NOW?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Oh my goodness ... the last time I posted to this thread was in August ... I can't even begin to figure what I've played - just the zip files of what I've submitted to GamerDad since then (I was playing Dungeon Siege II at the time!) are greater than 50!

I have recently focused on the PC after a run of crap PSP games ... I just recently completed a run of PC shooters (Sniper Elite, Commandos: Strike Force & UberSoldier) (ok, I didn't say they were great PC games!)

PC
Just Finished: Tomb Raider: Legend - after complaining about the PC controls early on, everything smoothed out and it ended up a pretty cool game.
Just Finished: Daemonica - funn little adventure game.
Now Playing: Scratches - spooky and moody with loads of style ... I'm only ~1 hr into it so I can't tell much else.
Now Playing: Keepsake - another cool adventure, also too early to conclude much.
Now Playing: Oblivion - ~30 minutes a day, making my way through slowly.

PSP
Just Finished: Me and My Katamari - should be brilliant but the controls are crap.
Just Finished: Virtua Tennis: World Tour - there is no 'end' but reaching #1 is good enough! Fun tennis action in my first sports game in ~5 years!
Now Playing: Untold Legends: The Warriors Code - they 'improved' it to the point where even early on it is uninteresting ... at least in the original it tool a few dozen hours to realize how bland the game was.

DS
Just 'Finished': Metroid Prime Hunters - Since I already submitted the review and completed the single player and have done tons of multiplayer I guess I should call it done, but it is so cool I just keep on playing!

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:03 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Oblivion

:]
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:54 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
Now Playing: Scratches - spooky and moody with loads of style ... I'm only ~1 hr into it so I can't tell much else.
If you get a minute in the future, let me know how this one stacks up. The better half likes creepy games and she picked this one up. She hasn't opened it yet, but it wouldn't hurt for me to have an idea what she's getting into. She's pretty much a "non-gamer", so I try to smooth out her gaming experience on the rare occasions she decides to dip her toe in the pool.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:14 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

What I like so far about Scratches is the graphic style and presentation. It has a point and click style, but allows you to do full rotation to check your surroundings - it is a really cool feature that further immerses you in the game. The sound is also wonderfully done and really evokes a creepy environment. Even though I've played only a bit, and not gotten to any major points yet, the story and setting is unfolding quite nicely.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:09 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Checkin out the Rise and Fall demo Very rarely does an RTS let you go down to third or first-person perspective, a major game fetish of mine, so I have high hopes for this one and so far it's pretty cool.

Totally loved the first half of Scratches, absolutely hated the second half. Maybe I'm just not an adventure gamer or something, but after the initial novelty and spookiness of exploring the admittedly awesome house and artwork within, it turned to sheer drudgery. Im curious to see how yall being adventure fans end up liking it, as I said, I'm not usually a brain-busting puzzle and pixel-hunter. Plus, the game repeatedly crashed on me almost every session the farther I got into the game, ticked me off.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:21 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

oblivion like almost every serious rpg game lover heh

Max payne 2, Found it from a bargain bin. I recommend it to anyone who likes cinematic action every now and then. I somehow found this second installment more enjoyable than the first payne. The storyline is quite good and keeps you intrested in to the end.
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:05 am
Father of Lies
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Oblivion and Civ IV.
I went through a demo of Arcanum recently, a pity I can't find the game anywhere. And I've finally installed the Co8 enhancements to ToEE after my old game inexplicably refused to run anymore.
Oh, and Gothic II Gold.
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:59 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Checkin out the Rise and Fall demo Very rarely does an RTS let you go down to third or first-person perspective, a major game fetish of mine, so I have high hopes for this one and so far it's pretty cool.

Rise and Fall demo is pretty good, but Im sorta mixed actually on the hero concept, of all things. First of all, I got to unleash my nubian femme side and play literally as Cleopatra, charging as a hero unit, into the battle with full Egyptian army behind her, er me. You can order your army to charge, "FOR EGYPYT!!" she yells and points forward, the army goes berserk and attacks. The fire arrows rushing overhead is awesome to behold. As you wade into the enemy as the hero unit, swipes of your sword knock the enemies dead, flying, falling in bloody ruin. You can even pull out a crossbow, and go ranged on them, or scout ahead and clear out towers, or take on a small army by yourself...

therein lies the problem: the heroes are far too strong, at least as I see it

I like a central unit, I welcomed the concept of hero units in RTS with open arms. I remember actually pulling my king out of the castle in regicide games of Age of Empires II and bringing him to the battle, even tho he couldnt fight, it was cool to have him there running around, taunting the enemy. Heroes as theyve become defined obviously are your chief warriors, and they should be powerful, but not too powerful.

The hero unit Cleo that I used in Rise and Fall demo could wipe out an entire Roman army herself, and while fun at first, it gets old quick. I hope they tone it down or something, she even has this one bow mode that can shoot thru multiple enemies with one shot. Since there are times they are coming down paths at ya, I shot down like literally 10 warriors a time quit a few times, it was like shooting a row of bowling pins as they spawned and advanced on my position
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:52 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Totally loved the first half of Scratches, absolutely hated the second half. Maybe I'm just not an adventure gamer or something, but after the initial novelty and spookiness of exploring the admittedly awesome house and artwork within, it turned to sheer drudgery. Im curious to see how yall being adventure fans end up liking it, as I said, I'm not usually a brain-busting puzzle and pixel-hunter. Plus, the game repeatedly crashed on me almost every session the farther I got into the game, ticked me off.

I never had a single crash, but have read about them elsewhere as well. I actually enjoyed it, but you are correct that the exploring became more laborious and the 'ok, what now' moment more frequent - even with the hint system turned on. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, it wasn't great, but for $20 it was adecent adventure - though I've not really played one in many years so I would certainly not call myself a fan.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:54 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yes, it was worth the 20 bucks in the end I suppose, just for the first couple days of intrigue and exploration, and the few pretty creepy moments. Glad you didn’t get the technical gaffes, Nucleosys put a patch out recently to deal with probs people might be having with the Pentium 4 or something of that nature.
Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:42 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I was thinking of (re)playing some of my favorite NWN mods whiletrying out some new ones. And it was going to be great ... up to the point where I finished Midnight and actually found out that there has been no news of Dawn in like 16 months.
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:51 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

SpellForce 2
Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:44 am
MasterLich
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
SpellForce 2

OK, how is the game? I bought the Spellforce 1, never finished it because I got bored in the middle. Milady here finished it, and has intentions of buying the part 2.
Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:25 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Reading over some of the replies herein, it's easy to see that I am not the only gamer who dedicates himself to multiple titles at the same time.
That much having been said, I am currently playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (on the PC), although these others continually vie for my attention:
- The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion / PC / Like txa1265 before me, I too spend only thirty minutes or so a day playing this particular title; while I do such in part to savor the atmosphere (and the superb graphics), I also find myself somewhat wearied if I stick with it for too long.
- Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption / PC / I recently posted in the Vampire forum concerning Bloodlines, and suddenly realized that I have yet to finish Redemption; that being said, I've since thrown myself back into the game.
- Gothic / PC / This is my nemesis of games. I have been attempting to play it for well over five months now, and it has been hit-and-miss the entire time. I simply cannot seem to enjoy the game as a whole, and the constant praise I hear concerning such drives me to keep trying. Mind you, I love the atmosphere, the world, and the characters are fantastic...it's just that the ruddy combat system irks me so. Growing up a console hot-dogger, I just cannot seem to grasp how to get this layout to function in my favor, and find myself frustrated to the point of quitting time and again. Oh well, I'll keep at it.
- Rage of Mages / PC / For some reason, I really enjoyed this game when it came out (and it's sequel), and decided to revisit some fond memories of slashing creatures that look like rugs and swarms of angry bees.
- Kingdom Hearts II / PlayStation 2 / What can I say? I adored the first game, so how could I possibly pass up the opportunity to play the second, hmm? I spend most of my time - when not on GTA - playing this.
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones / GBA / I picked this one up two days ago, and fiddle with it at night in bed. It serves as a pleasant distraction from the more "action-centric" gameplay of the others I am playing. Not to count, it's a very fine strategy title, and a standout in a long line of fantastic Fire Emblem releases.

Oh, and lest I forget, I only just recieved a copy of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, which, sadly, I have not been able to maintain any interest in. Please understand that this is not a slight towards the game - which looks and even plays quite well - but merely a result of the fact that it is not a genre I delve into much (adventure with action overtones). I'm afraid the recent spat of shooters I've been playing through (I finished Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Max Payne / The Fall of Max Payne all in the last month) have hyped my twitch-based gaming side to the point where I just cannot bring myself to settle down for a slower journey just yet...still, I am going to keep hold of it, and try again later. Who knows, I did the same thing with Arx Fatalis, and after dedicating some time to said game, it quickly rose to become one of my favorites.
Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:16 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Today I am playing "Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2k5"

A hunting game? Sound stupid, huh? I know, what am I thinking, I picked it up for ten bucks and it looked interesting. Actually, it is!

Roaming around some pretty nice looking 3d environments, with handpicked weapons and equipment, decoys, camo outfits, even a tent and such for when nightfall hits. Im even cruising around on an ATV! You have to hunt by the rules too, you can only kill what you have a tag for, and cannot hunt a certain time before sunset or sundown, for example. When you finally get your game in the crosshair and pull that trigger, it's pretty cool, because youve tracked this creature for a long time.

There's a little study type thing where you learn about the animal youll be hunting, where it can be found, and how to track it. There are even animal tracks in the environment. The water looks awesome, and swimming is goofily fun.

I think it's worth it for the ten bucks, theres a freestyle hunt mode and a campaign as well where you progress, eventually to where your game are things like polar bears.
Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next