X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

are you kidding it is great.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:43 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I'd like to see RPGDot opened up to include other console types. I play the occasional RPG on PC, but I recently made the change to PlayStation because I found a controller easier to move my character(s) around on than a keyboard and I play many more on PS now. I'm still an RPGer, but just on a different medium and I'd hate to be excluded from RPGDot because of this.

I also changed because several RPGs I wanted to play were released on PS or XBox only - take the upcoming Fable for instance.

I know as a console RPGer I'm not excluded, but I don't feel as though I'm exactly welcomed with open arms. I too used to think that the PC was the 'real' way to play RPGs, but after trying others I realise an RPG can't be 'owned' by one particular medium. After playing many games that aren't available on PC I've begun to think that console RPGs may just be the way of the future.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:55 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Is that you Sherri? Haven't seen you in a while.

I don't think any of the staff has any problem with console coverage other than reader polls suggesting our audience prefers the PC...in fact, I think we know it will inevitably increase, although it hasn't been discussed while I've been here.

However, I don't believe many of the editorial staff have a console, which makes it a little harder to stay knowledgeable about the scene.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:56 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I think we discused it internaly several times. Also there was big poll about it on mane page. And our readers are mostly focused on PC games. However probably it is because we are focused on PC games, so few consolers are visiting us (why should they?).
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:13 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Yes, it's me Dhruin. How're you doing my friend? Nice avatar. It's good to be back after so long away.

It'd be good to see some more console RPGers here that's for sure. But it's not as if RPGDot is elitist and stops us/them. And that's good because, as I've said, RPGs (and other genres) are going to be going to console more and more and there's bound to be a few more find their way here. And it's not that I don't play on PC, I do, I just haven't done so for a while, I just prefer not having my fingers in a knot, lol.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:57 pm
Beliarsclew
Victim Of The Greed
Victim Of The Greed

It's the best of the best of the best of.......Etc!
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:35 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

i think that we must make another poll about this subject.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:54 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

On what?

Whether to allow consol gamers on RPGDot? I'm still an RPGer regardless and 'C' also stands for 'Console.'

If consoles are better for gaming? I would say 'Yes, for me most definately.'
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:29 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I prefer my consoles for beat'em ups and my PCs for shooters. I'm not very particular when it comes to other genres - every platform is acceptable for me.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:27 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Consoles are better for certain types of games. Such as beat em ups. But in general, the production quality of PC games is far above most Console games.

There are very few games I have played that live up to or exceed the standard that most high profile PC games adhere to.

The few that come to mind are, Zelda, GTA, Metal Gear Series, etc etc...

In regards to having Console RPG's on RPGDot, here are my thoughts:

While I have nothing against having Console RPG's on RPGDot (I love Console RPG's as much as PC ones), I dont think it be very popular. The reasons being:

1. Most people who play console games do not use PC's
2. Most hardcore PC RPGers dont play consoles
3. Most people at RPGDot are hardcore RPGers
4. Console RPG's are very linear, and players do not require much assistance when playing them, so rarely go to forums to discuss the game.

considering the combination of the reasons above, there would a severe lack of interest in Console RPG's at this site.

NOTE: Yes, most people who play PC games also play console games.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:56 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I must agree with Chekote. Good post.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:19 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

To Chekote:

I play mostly RPGs on Console and the occasional Action games I Do play have RPG features, but granted, many other consolers play several other genres as well as RPGs. I don't agree that the production quality is better on PC, I've played Arx and Morrowind on PC and XBox and both were better to play, as well as visually better, on XBox.

In reply to your numbered statements;
[1] Every consoler (and I belong to a few console gamers forums) I know uses a PC - they may not play many games on their PC, but they DO use them.

[2] I think you're probably correct with this statment. In fact there exists a sort of 'eliteism' with regards to PC and console games in that most PCers tend to turn their noses up and think that console players aren't playing 'real' games. they tend to forget that there are over a hundred RPGs released on just PS1 and 2 (I know because I have them all).

[3] I agree, 'most poeple at RPGDot are hardcore RPGers'. I'm no different because I choose to play RPGs on console too, I'm still a 'hardcore RPGer'.

[4] Console RPGs are no more or less linear than PC RPGs. As I've mentioned there're some RPGs released on both console AND PC. And with regards to your statement that console players don't require assistance and rarely go to forums I beg to differ. In fact this is the only, mostly, PC game help place I come to, all the others are consolers aking and giving help. An RPG is an RPG regardless of what it's played on.

The two most raved about and anticipated RPGs this year are Fable and Jade Empire and both of them are coming out on console ONLY, surely that says a lot for the console versus PC debaters that swear that PC is better, obviously it isn't for these 2 games at least. I'm not saying that consoles are better I'm merely pointing out that RPGs can, and are, being played just as well on both mediums.

I, and maybe others, don't feel we should be excluded merely because we find it easier to play the same RPG on a console.
Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:50 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

quote:
Originally posted by Beliarsclew
It's the best of the best of the best of.......Etc!

i agree...
it's the best for all sorts of games (especially RPGs)
Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:13 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

for me the PC would be better for most games, but not much.
- FPS's must be PC only, they have such irritating controls on the console, using both sticks to move just causes brain damage. and using a sniper is the same as trowing a rock trough a circle when your blind.
- RPG's would be a multi-platform. but I think PC is still better. you have better overview, better controls, better graphics. that is enough to buy it on the PC.
- Racing games are platform games, very easy controls, and much more fun. the arrow keys are just... old.
- TPS's can be multi-platform, but same as FPS's the sniping and aiming is too hard at the console.
- beat em up's are multi-platform. both the console and the PC have great oppertunities for that. both controls are easy, maybe the console controls are even more easy.

those are (for me) the most important PC/Console genres.
Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:53 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next