Is cheating O.K ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Is cheating O.K ?

If a person playing gothic decides to cheat by inserting weapons, armour, quest items, npc's ect' ect' and by various means (and there are a good number) be able to get an advantage that they normally would'nt have had, then can this be morally or ethically justified, or not?
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:30 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Sure it can be justified! They just can't expect to get credit for beating the game fairly, that's all.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:16 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Basically, ditto what MageofFire said.

But more specifically, since Gothic is not an online/multiplayer game, and there's no contest out there for the one who beats the game the fastest, best or whatever, then cheating in the game is just cheating yourself. It's like cheating at Solitaire. If you are happy cheating yourself, why not? Just don't expect the rest of us to applaud.

If you want to get the most challenge from the game, though, I recommend not using any cheats for the first couple of times you play the game. After that, if you want to play with various cheats to get the game to do things that would not be possible without them, or to try extreme situations that would never occur in the game normally, sure! Have fun anyway you want!

The only rule I'd suggest is that you lay out which cheats you are using (or which ones you are not using) whenever you make reference to a non-standard game -- just so the rest of us know what you are up to and how to reply to your suggestions and questions.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:55 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

The only person who can dicide for you if cheating is OK is you. I always play the game at least two times and then go mess up the world with cheats, like imserting a XP map and learn every skill I can. But that's just me, you can dicide for your self if you want cheats.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:35 am
RastaBlasta420
Village Leader
Village Leader

I found cheating isn't nearly as fun as having to go out and hunt to earn your skill points.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:38 am
ServanteS
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by EDV
The only person who can dicide for you if cheating is OK is you.

Nice said.
But why would somebody cheat in Gotic and ruin the pleasure of beating the game,i can agree if he finished it and wont's to do more and after all quests in Gotic were simple at least for me
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:37 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I read in a big old book somewhere that to cheat is a sin, we are are all sinners, it also said "be sure your sins will find you out"
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:52 am
x_Noble_Paladin_x
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I found it annoying that *possible spolier* G1 and G2 had the same cheat system. I constantly found myself justifing reasons not to reload or how it was unfair. This made me save less so when I did die or the game froze it was a large hassle. I wish I hadn't known the cheat system

I wil tri my bestest too spel
www.mallmonkeys.com is funny
so is www.squidi.net
Post Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:37 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

A crucial "nerve point" very true.
A person who has previously completed the game can if they wish (as said by others) try some experimenting to see "what would happen if" type situations, juggle some stats and do some "assessments for evaluation purposes" and this WOULD NOT be cheating because their intentions were not meant to be be fraudulent or to deceive.
When i first completed Gothic, i was'nt even aware marvin mode exsisted.
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:55 pm