NWN: Hordes of the Underdark screen shots and preview
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

NWN: Hordes of the Underdark screen shots and preview

It appears as though a lot of Atari games were previewd this weekend..here is the latest on NWN Hordes of the Underdark (the graphics look nice)

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/august03/atari/hordesofunderdarkpc/screenshots.shtml

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwinternightsxp2/preview_6073795.html
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:45 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Not bad. Same engine, naturally, but the detail is decent.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:31 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

The only problem with those pics IMO is that there is to many really bad-ass monsters and the whole setting looks...erm...depressing? I understand that probably Underdark is not the sunniest place in Faerun, but I hope that we will see more of a setting than those caves or whatever is on the pics. I believe that Bioware & Co can make another very good expansion to NWN. I loved Shadows of Undrentide, it was a great game, and I hope such high standards of qualty will be there for HoU, too.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:46 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

As an epic level game I wouldn't be surpised if they gave you the ability to teleport to an angelic fortress in one of the heavens from time to time. It's the thing to do, really. Most of my good aligned characters in pen and paper end up building a castle in Celestia or Elysium. Weather is always nice, neighbors are usually nice, and all the forces in heaven and goodly gods watch your back when you take a bath or go to sleep so the long list of enemies you've made can't get at you easily.

If not... as an epic game this will be a hack fest to beat all hack fests! It will bury Throne of Baal for sheer hack factor by a dozen fold. There will be many demons and drow and mind flayers to hack... and... hack... and hack some more!

If it's anything like actual pen and paper there will be no way for a fighter to survive it and it will be too easy for a wizard. Which is rather the opposite of the trend displayed so far in NWN.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:50 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Angelic fortress... I know... In my PnP we used plane-travelling several times. Some players were excited about retirement of this sort, true. But there are better ways to end your career

Two fine examples would be as follows. First, wizard Shjoll who has died so many times that he became enlightened in the end and join Botthisattvas club In fact, one of my players who played Shjoll went to another country. Occasionally he would visit us back here, and we decided that this Botthisattva type of career end is best for him, as he is still able to come back to us eventually and save our souls another time. Second, paladin Kohen, who managed to shoot himself with a crossbow after listening to our bard singing the victory song for 25 minutes (real time) Due to circumstances this player was not going to continue playing any longer, so he left a message prohibiting Raise dead type of songs.

However, angelic fortress sounds sweet, too

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:42 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

In case you din't know yet, an official HoU site is opened now.
http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark/
Nothing especially new, but there is some nice monster info + description of some feats

Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:45 am