Usergroups
Arx 2 Wish List!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Silvayn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I haven't read most of the previous posts, so spare me if I mention something already said. I have actually only two wishes for AF2:

Make the game support mods.
Just look on Morrownd, NwN or even BG... with little extra effort, the game gains great longevity. I realize it's not the easiest thing to implement, but well worth it (from gamer perspective).

Make the actual casting more viable in combat
When there was something nasty hacking into me, I couldn't really concentrate on casting spells, so I always walked around with 3 pre-casted fireballs (quite an "universal" spell). How about making the time move slower (ala Matrix's bullet time) when in casting mode? This could be even skill-dependant (the higher your casting skill, the slower the time). So apart the fact that casting will feel more "real" (not relaying on pre-cast), players will also have time to improvise (trying other spells, depending on situation and not just setting off all 3 fireballs).
Post Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:04 pm
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Ok, heres my wish list;

1. A bedroll! I want to sleep!

2. Larger levels - or: no loading screens. Always when i reached the loadin area, i felt 'safe'. I think the game would be even better when i had the feeling those zombies from the crypt could chase me op to the city of arx...

3. Yes, i do want to eat, but try toe find the middle way. Befor the patch i was hungry 'all the time', after the patch i hardly ever needed to eat.

4. Combining objects is fun; add more secret combinations; they were al in the manual - let me find out for myself, please.

5. The backround music was the best i ever heard

6. Make all the different paths to the endgame worthwile... I need tot quote you here

quote:
Originally posted by julien roby@arkane studio
Also i'd like to tell once again: there is no way you can break the main quest in Arx by killing a NPC.

yes, yes, i know, but after killing some guards and thus anoying the king of arx, i missed the entire 'end scene' at the underground lake. In my opinion; i missed the end of the 'main plot'.

7. Let me do usefull thing. I found the metiorite, but it didnt do what i was told... I made a great sword; but in the end i am told i m to late... I had a big Summoner1 deja vu. I would like to figure out myself what needs to be done, ( not to be told) and the acutaly do it.

8. More water. let me swim and dive!

9. Yes, more quests. More XP. More Arx!

Did i already mention that Arx was great? Keep up the good work.

Parcival
Post Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:12 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Ideas for Arx II

FEMALE characters and and greater variety of character looks would be nice.
The runes magic is a great idea - I've previously shied off using magic in games, but this way makes it a whole lot easier.
Hot keys to cycle through your weapons, so you can change during a fight.
Yes, a way to move NPC's out of the way in a narrow space is ESSENTIAL.
Yes, Thief tools - picks and probs - instead of a strange-looking tool roll.
I liked the idea of preparing food, but food's needed too frequently.
I don't think going outside is necessary - maybe the atmosphere is contaminated but you can SEE outside.
Yes, being able to mark the map is a good idea.
More, independant, quests is a good idea.
And, yes, floundering about wasting time until you agree to use a walkthrough shows something is lacking. Perhaps the game is too linear, too literal - A to b, to c, to d; instead of b to c to a to d.
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:57 am
Morahn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

1)More weapons and armor.
2)More enchantments.
3)More levels and less xp needed.
4)Tell us how hard the lock is to pick.
5)Better log.
6)More customizable character.
7)Change views
... To Be Contnued.

Arx is a really great game. Can't wait for 2.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:19 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by julien roby@arkane studio
Hi everybody!

We're taking notes!
Please don't hesitate to tell us everything you'd like to see in a sequel..

Great. I agree with every thing TheCleric said.

Edited to delete request about curbing character's appetite. I found out the Arx patch fixed this. My PC is eating a normal 3 meals a day now:)

I like old style RPG games. CODS, M&M Xeen, the early Ultima, Krondor. The last couple of years RPG's have had too much hack and slash and not enough puzzle solving, quest accomplishments (aside from Fed Ex types), and good story line.

The best games recently are from Europe. Divine Divinity, Gothic, and now Arx. Maybe I have the order wrong there, but you have the idea.

Thanks for what looks to be a great game (I just started Arx). And even more thanks for creating another.

Last edited by SilkenKidden on Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:10 am
Hike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Make several areas more playable

When I first entered the meteor room in the Akbaa temple, and that demon came, I was level 4 (iirc), kinda puny mage, with ten health potions, and seven mana potions...

Either I'm just too puny to manage, but for me that demon was simply undoable at that point in time, if you don't rely on glitches like standing next to the meteor and being unable to be hit... (that's what I did after frustratingly giving up trying to freeze him, and then banging the shit out of him with some kind of longsword) He needed 12 fireballs before he left, and while I'm a pretty good (mouse ) caster, casting fireball 12 times using the rune system while in combat is also undoable (keeping your hand on the movement keys, on g+h, on Ctrl, and on the mouse is simply not doable, even when you move the direction keys or g+h).

But, on the other hand, I've never died anywhere else, just like someone else said, kept three fireball spells precast, and pretty much every creature drops after one, so no real problems even dealing with the two liches down in King Poxellis grave, or the like...

I'd say exactly this needs much more work in any sequel. For me, Gothic 2 is a reference concerning this. Most fights are very fair, the stronger you get, the stronger the enemies get (or come in larger groups), and I don't mind dying and reloading once in a while, but I know that I've achieved something when I take them down... And when you don't manage to do a fight after three tries, it means most of the time that you aren't meant to go there yet (or at the beginning that you should try and master your controls )

And, yeah, I can only confirm that specializing in anything else but (fighter/)mage is quite undoable in Arx Fatalis. But, I always play mages, so I don't really mind... Actually, Arx Fatalis was the first game I saw which gave a benefit to mages (made it easier to play the game as a mage), and I really liked that! Normally we only see fighters get the easy solutions (and I hate those darn do-good fighters)

For the rest, I can only agree with the first post on this list.

Just my 2 cents.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:48 pm
Dood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First off, let me say that I thought this game was excellent. The graphics were great and I thought the voice acting was exceptional for the most part. It took a little while to get used to Am Shaegar's impartial tone of voice but, in the end, it fit the character very well. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

Only a few things come to mind, and most of these have been mentioned, but I'd like to cast my vote as well:

-Greater variety in the appearance of the main character.
-Quests that require use of a greater variety of spells. Once I had fireball, magic missile, and levitate, I really had no need for most of the other spells like incinerate, chaos, summon demon, etc.
-Monsters or NPCs that become more challenging as experience levels increase. I felt fairly invinceable about halfway through the game and this lessened the challenge.
-Ability to add flags/comments to the map and comments to the journal.
-Hot keys to cycle through spells and weapons.
-Personally, I liked not having much music. It helped maintain the atmosphere. But if you add more music, I hope you'll make it a selectable option.
-I liked the rotating camera view during many of the dialog scenes. It helped keep the action going. I hope you'll keep this feature.
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:51 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Re: Arx 2 Wish List!

quote:
Originally posted by TheCleric
Hi all.

Since it's pretty much been stated that the folks at Arcane are working on a sequel to Arx, I thought that it might be a good time to get a thread going for players to make suggestions or propose improvements. Sort of an "Arx 2 Wish List".

Anyway, let me start off by saying that I think this is a great game! But, if I were to make a list of what I would like to see in Arx 2 it would go something like this:

1). I hate to say it but; fewer bugs that need patching. (Sorry guys).
2). More side quests. (Need to be able to get more XP's).
3). An additional way to improve your skills. Maybe "Training" for $??
4). Allow learned spells to be assigned to "Hot Keys" for quick casting.
5). Make quests more "Idiot Proof". Perhaps make key NPC's invulnerable
until after they've completed plot/quest critical actions.
6). Make it harder to "Break" quests by doing things/going places too early.
7). Allow more items to "Stack" in inventory.
8. Make shopkeeper chests "Expandable", so that if you sell them a bunch
of stuff, they'll still have room to buy more.
9). More enchantments for Weapons/Armor.
10). The ability to "Rest" or "Sleep" would be nice. (More immersive).

I'm sure I could think of more, but that would probably be my "Top Ten". Any other suggestions?

I'd like to add a request that no arcade sequence puzzles be included in any future games. I'm specifically thinking of the one in the Dwarven city where you have to jump from one platform to a wooden spar or another platform and from there to a ledge. But if you are not right on the money with speed, direction, and jump you can't do it. There should be a logical way to solve every puzzle.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:26 am
Player
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

wishes

Im a bit lazy so i didnt read every post before this one so beware of repeating. Before i start to list stuff heres my intro to this wish list. Im 24 so i get bored easily. This is why i need the game to be interesting. By interesting i mean that it has to make me forget where i am or what ever "more important" things than playing i might have at the moment. To make a long story short. Make the game fee like youre really part of it. Stuff like if i hit a tree with my sword it gets stuck in it or when i throw a bucket at someone it has to look like im really throwing it and not like im playing petanque. Interaction is the word i think. -oh and i want to break stuff. Beds chairs etc...After all i am a strong warrior arnt i?

1. Make sleeping possible. creates realism and helps me understand when the shops are open.
2. Make the npc:s look like they really are doing something. The fact that the guards just walk around with the same look on their faces is cool cause its not important to the main quest right? I could have lived with that if it wasnt for the ylsens(or ilsens?) episode. After the ylsens left arx all the action in the city was back to normal like nothing had happened.
3.Make all kinds of cool armors that has spikes and shit.
4. You should be able to use your shield to block strikes in combat. left mouse button uses sword and right mouse uses shield...
5. More expressions to the faces of the npcs, more lines, chores...
6. When u summon a skeleton it should obey u not attack u.Demons should be unpredictable in that way like they are in the game.

I think i could go on and on...For a closing i would like to underline the interaction part. I want the freedom of being able to do stuff like in real life but i dont want to have the same rules that restricts me in my everyday life..I hope that made sense...
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:55 pm
liquidblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

humm Arx is first Rpg i have ever completed

Ok the magic system is kinda diferent, but i usually dont play casters, i hate to say this but this game actually got me so into it that it has been my FIRST rpg that i have EVER finished, the rest of them are all stack up in closet and i mean alot of them hehe, Im so proud of me self hehe, hell my wife is proud that i finished a game, i think she will let me go out and buy another, crap i have to finish divine divinity, just started to, and im a bit disapointed but ill play to see if ill get into it.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:39 pm
charkosh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Plot dependent items

either
a) plot items cannot be dropped,
or
b) someplace you can go to get back any plot dependent items you may have misplaced (even for a price), e.g. neverwinter nights.
would save people like me alot of frustration.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:08 pm
Zebulon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Things i DONT want to see in AFII !

And please never add such a funny " jump and run " level in the sequel.
I stopped playing AF in the dwarven mines where the lava is.
I never managed this jumping thing (maybe iam too fat or what )

And dont add any " horse car racing " - " basketball game " and so .
This "multiple_games_in_one_so_we_can_obtain_more_custumers " is typical for
"managers from highschool " who never played a game themseves.
AF was good and atmospheric , so stay in the genre.!
my 2cents
Zeb
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:54 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Wishing

I think it's been said before, but I just finished for the "I don't know how many times" and found the three precast spells hard during battle. I think you should be able to have maybe five different spell slots that are keyboard controlled, and have up to five spells in each slot. Make it level specific as to building up to the five. But three and then draw again is very hard in the heat of wacking and being wacked. Just would like to use these quicker once you learn them. Maybe hae to draw them so many times before considered memorized to slot would work. Just a thought.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:51 am
George
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think the real biggy is some way to shut up the constant whining about eating. The guy is a blasted food-aholic. Otherwise, the game is pretty good.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:22 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Food

Download latest patch and he pretty well stops asking for food.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:26 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next