I Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I Need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, just registered here to help whoever possible and to get help. I've been on the Ironworks Forums for awhile now, but thats not the point. I've played Wiz 8 many times, but I just installed it on a new comp that has Windows XP. Two probs. First off, the monsters do not make sound when they attack or whenever I hit them. Secondly, I have networked comps, one with XP another with Windows 98. Both have wiz8, but I was transferring a file from the windows 98 to XP. Now when I hit load game it craps out saying some weird thing. Further more, the official Tech Help site for wiz-8 HAS BEEN HACKED BY MSN TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really pissd right now!!!!!
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:01 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

It has nothing to do with XP- I've played countless hours without a hitch. Sounds like a reinstall would be your safest bet.

If you post a little more detail about what sort of file you've transferred and what sort of error message you're getting, we might be able to give you a better answer than the reinstall.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:56 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I've installed it lots of times, still no monster sounds. But lemme give you the error right now by playing the game. BRB in3 min
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:09 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I took a picture of the error, but since I've no clue on how to paste it onto here, lemme just type it out in words.

Error: You are viewing a message intended for the developers of Wizardry 8. Please report the following information to technical support. We apologize for this inconvienence.

Debug assertion in module E:/Wizardry8/Local Code/LoadSaveGame.cpp line 3225 Failed:

Expression [ uiSize <=sizeof(*pstatus)] evaluates to false.

This is what I get. I was transferring a save game from Wizardry 8 on the Windows 98 comp to the Windows XP comp.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:15 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

OK. Dumb questions first.

Are both computers using the same version of Wiz8?
Is it just monster sounds that you don't hear, or all game sounds?
If you look at the save file names, there isn't a similar one already on the XP rig, right?
Is XP trying to run Wiz8 in a window rather than full screen?

Check those things, and then we'll dig deeper.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:31 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Answers
1. I used the same disc to install on both comps, so I think they are the same versions.
2. Monster Sounds Only
3. No there is no other file named AJ2 (file I copied). I should also tell you that I suck with comps... How would I know if it runs in a window rather than full screen?
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:40 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

For your sound, I have only two thoughts left.
1) Did you do a complete install when you loaded the game?
2) Have you checked your audio options to make sure the volumes haven't been turned down or muted by accident?

For the load crash:
From the error message, it seems to me that the load screen is being defined as larger than your screen setting (the game's trying to put 5 pounds o' poo in a 3 pound bag). Right click on the shortcut for Wiz8 and select "properties" from the bottom of the menu. The box "Run" should say "normal window". Pick the "compatibility" tab at the top. None of the 5 boxes should be checked. If that's all as it should be, then the only other thing I can think of is that the save file has somehow gotten corrupted. Can your older PC pull up the original of that save game? Maybe try dragging the copied save back to the old PC and see if it will still come up properly?
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:23 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Everything is fine none of the boxes are checked. But the computers are networked if that helps, and I can play the game on Windows 98 perfectly fine, its playable, my bro plays on that computer while I play on this one. Though I looked at the file sizes, the one on windows 98 is 600kb while saves on the XP one are only 300kb.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:38 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Are there any patches to help with my dilemma??? I only found one friggin patch. Of all times, now the Wiz 8 tech support forum has to be hacked by MSN terrorists.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:51 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hmm, could it be that Wiz8 installed on my windows 98 has a patch and the one on XP doesn't have one, making probs?
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:36 am
SecretMaster
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Problem solved!!! It was because the file I transfered had an updated version, I wanna slap myself sometimes. Too monster sound isn't working, but I'm not complaining. Thanx dteowner for helping me with the prob, your the one who asked if it was the same version but I was stupid. Thanx a mil dude. Now that its 5:30 in the morning and I've been playing Wiz8 for a good solid 2 hrs, I think I should go to sleep. Sh*t, I gotta get up in 5hrs...
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:31 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Good to see you're up and running. I suppose I should have asked about the patches specifically.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:28 pm
otter
One of Us

Maybe going into the Wiz-8 folder (probably in Program Files\Sirtech) instead of the game to click on 3-D Setup to get it to autodetect again might get you some mob noises...
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:13 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hey, dteowner, do you have any problems running other Windows 95/98 games through your Windows XP? I'm going to have to get a new computer some day but I'm worried if my favorite older games, such as Starcraft, won't be playable on XP. But I know I will need XP because the endless DirectX upgrades may eventually render Win 98 obsolete like DX 7 (or was it 8?) did to Win 95.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:20 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This "being hacked by MSN Terrorrists" is old. Very old, I guess. As far as I can see, at least half a year, but I guess even several years, since SirTech has almost vanished.

Some stupid hacker with a great dislike of Microsoft ( I guess it was some Linux user type) wanted to get some attention, now he has it - by you, for example.

Or he/she just wanted some kind of "playing field", which is simply useless, since SirTech is almost gone.

I guess he / she once hacked this site, and forgot it. I have a strong feeling as if this must've been one or two years ago.

Unfortunately there is nothing else I can do except saying "cool down", because of that "hacked" forum.
Post Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:57 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next