omg ylsides!!! what the hell!?!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Tim_nz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

omg ylsides!!! what the hell!?!

rarely have i found a game so challenging as this , i am up to a bit in the castle when it has just been raided by these dudes in armour and 2 handed swords and omg are they impossible!
i used up all my heal pots in the temple fighting them, i have a poisoned sword, 2 harms running at once, and they still just speed around me and woop my ass....do the game designers really expect you to do this coz ive tried heaps...any tips? other than a trainer..dnt like cheating
p.s sorry for noob post as i said HARD GAME
Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:31 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

First off, don't be sorry for posting, that is what the forum is here for. These guys are hard, and you will have to conquer magic here to kill them the easiest way. Fireballs, to the head, two or three, usually do it. If you haven't done a lot of the side quests yet, this is a good time to retreat, go exploring the rest of Arx and get as much xp as you can.

My one big complaint on this game is the lack of ingame info on side quests and what to do next. Thus, back to that pdf file. Look at that section and see what else you might be able to get done. Then you can up strength and casting a little. Also use the search feature here on the boards, and put in Ylsides and see all the other ways people handled them. There is more than one way to skin a cat in this game. lol
Mark Twain
Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:35 pm
thrash3002
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

ok, if you play the ylsides for a while, you'll realise they're actually severely lacking in the artificial intelligence department.. i.e. they aren't the smartest things in arx.. (not that many of the other creatures are, running into walls and lava pits and not being able to pull a lever to open a door..)

but the one thing that make ylsides really hard is their speed.. you can't dodge them or run away..

if you think about it, speed is only useful if they can move around.. so if you can stop them moving around, they won't be able to do much..

for example, the way i fought them was that i try to confine them to a narrow path, so that they cna't move around me, and have to face me.. oh, and just so you know, don't use swords against them.. i think the one let down of this game is that close range weapons such as swords don't do a tenth of the damage they should do.. it takes waaaay too long to kill a ylside with a sword.. and for every hit you inflict, he's done double the damage to you, which isn't much help.. As the wise Miss CM revealed to us mortals, USE FIREBALLS They're the handiest offence you have in terms of short range attacks..

and if you absolutely MUST fight them in open space, then go for long range warfare.. arrows are quite effective.. my personal favourite weapon in this game is lord inut's (the chicken dude) bow.. it sets your arrows on fire

but even with a normal bow, if you shoot from real far (the best is if you can barely see them while firing), you can take out almost half their life.. and then if they come rushing towards you, you've got only a half dead ylside to deal with.. wherein comes a fireball once again.. but most of the time, if they don't see you, you have enough time to rear up another arrow to shoot up his nose..

Also, a one on one fight with a ylside isn't too bad, but if you've got 2 or more chasing you, unless you're a super mage who can cast mass incinerate a couple of times without breaking a sweat, you're done for..

I've managed to pick off the ylsides who infiltrate arx city and the castle one by one without using a health or mana potion, and without getting hit once, and believe me, i'm as clumsy as anyone can get when it comes to combat.. so if i can do it, anyone can do it

when i get out of the tunnel from the arx outpost, the steps from the tunnel entrance are a fine place to fight.. the yslides have to take you front on since they can't move around you, and so their speed is useless.. that said, if they DO manage to strike you there, you'll still be higher than them, and i think that if they hit your feet, it does less damage? i'm not sure.. but you shouldn't get hit. when they're walking around arx, they won't see you until you shoot them with an arrow. before they charge at you, just make sure you have a full load of fireballs lined up.. and even if 2 ylside attack you at once, it's still not that much of a problem since only one can attack you at a time in such a small space..

so what you do is, fire an arrow at a ylside from a distance, and lour him to these steps, or in further parts of the city, lour them to a position that has you standing in a doorway so you can't be attacked from the side or back.

ok, i think my post is 47374832 times as long as it should be.. sorry to all readers for going on another one of my rants lolz, but hopefully if you're having problems with the yslides, this'll help

one last thing i wanna mention.. while in the castle, an easy way to kill off ylsides without much effort is to lour them to your room, and then lock yourself in your room.. they'll be outside your door trying to charge you.. this is when you can simply spread an ice or fire field (ice fields do mure damage) the other side of the door and give the bald brainless fella cold feet

so yeah, the one sucky thing about this game (apart from the not so intelligent artificial intelligence lol ) is that the character roles aren't even in terms of difficulty.. there are a lot of things you can't do/get without magic, and in general, it's much easier to be a pure mage than it is to be a brute fighter.. i guess most rpgs have this problem to a certain degree, but this one has it to the extreme.. and i'm no expert on rpgs.. this is just my point of view..
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:18 am
Tim_nz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i FINALLY done it thou i didnt kill any yslides i ran all the way to the jail (using 15 heal pots in the process) there are still parts of this game im unfamilar with i tried to read the .pdf file but cant open it i.e dont have a program to read it.
i really dont understand the concept of stealth why cant i sneak up with my weapon drawn? and when i creep up behind them with no weapon almost every time they notice me, the only way i see this skill usefull is for pickpocketing which again is extremly difficult to get away with.
also i dont know how to precast spells everytime i fight somthing i have to do the wee hand action things which takes AGES espically with difficult runes.
one more thing, i have found a switch in a random house beside the castle its beside a shelf and i sometimes see a girl walking in and out of it, i pull the lever and hear sumthing open but cant find wat has opened??
a little help would be much appreciated
so far im really impressed with the game how u can branch off and do different stuff, which is why im holding back from finishing the game coz i have so much undiscovered.
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:39 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

The most simplest solution for you would be to get the Adobe Reader and open the PDF. You can just do a search on the net and you should find their site with no problems. It is free.

As for the questions you posed. Stealth is good, but you need a high level of it for it to work, and on Ylsides, forget it. Seems they are just not ones you can sneak up on.

Precasting is simple. Cast the spell as always, but this time press and hold SHIFT key at same time. Let go of CTRL key when done, keep shift pressed, and the spell should appear as a symbol on the lower left screen. You can precast three spells. You can then cast them by clicking on them or just hit number 1, 2, or 3. I always had three fireballs there, so I only had to hit the number 1 repeatedly. lol

As for the room, lever and lady, that is part of a side quest. If you get the pdf it will help. It is rob the bank one, so you can search here as well for all the different ways to do that one. lol

Hope this helps. I think if you get the pdf you will have even more fun. Don't worry about finishing the game, it has great replay value, for the very reasons you mentioned. Just so many ways to do stuff.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:17 pm