Gothic 2: Night of the Raven - Full English Versions Availab
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Gothic 2: Night of the Raven - Full English Versions Availab

Thanks to our own Gorath from <a href="http://gothic.rpgdot.com/">GothicDot</a> and Speckschwarte for pointing out that full English versions of the 'Night of the Raven' expansion for 'Gothic II' have now been released in Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Head <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=71801&page=1" target="_blank">here</a> to the WoG forums for the full story.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:16 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

will they ship to other places or would one have to go there to import the game ?
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:38 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Re: Gothic 2: Night of the Raven - Full English Versions Ava

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
Thanks to our own Gorath from <a href="http://gothic.rpgdot.com/">GothicDot</a> and Speckschwarte for pointing out that full English versions of the 'Night of the Raven' expansion for 'Gothic II' have now been released in Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Head <a href="http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=71801&page=1" target="_blank">here</a> to the WoG forums for the full story.

So the only place to get the English version of the game is in a country where the native language is not English?
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:18 pm
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

But they still missing the most important locaction. My house
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:07 pm
Torracat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Gothic 2: Night of the Raven - Full English Versions Ava

So the only place to get the English version of the game is in a country where the native language is not English? [/quote]

a very, very poignant statement. this deserves some discussion time. While i am happy that I can finnaly play my all time favorite game here in my american home. I cannot help but anxiously wonder about the business practices of PB or whoever is responsible for getting this game to stores. Judging from how this game has been handled, I cannot help but nervously tap my toes as I await the birth of gothic III. Great game, horrible follow through on the business side. I worry that, even if they finish it, will we ever see it?
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:29 pm

Gothic II was released when the company's financial state was not good and probably the contract between Atari at that time seems to be one of the main obstructions preventing the release of English expansion in US. However, JoWood is now going to release Gothic III even in Japan. So, hopefully, their financial state seems to be better now. However, if they would like to sell it there, probably they need to blush up graphics since the standard is quite high in Asia. As far as I browsed, the Witcher seems to get more attention because of the graphic and story in Japanese game sites.

In Europe, this may be different but in US and Japan, game industry is quite professional area where the model has been already established. Like other business and political areas, media control seems to have been established as well and it is quite difficult for new or independent companies enter the business which is formed by publishers, developers and investors. Whereas, Europe is a kind of on the make especially if we include post-communist areas such as CDProjekt, Deep Shadows, 3D People Studios and MiST Land.

Probably, European game companies are conscious of this situation and are trying to enter niche market which seems to become vacant probably because of Hollywood syndrome, under which famous companies have to keep making AAA games to justify investment.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:49 pm

slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

In Europe, this may be different but in US and Japan, game industry is quite professional area where the model has been already established. Like other business and political areas, media control seems to have been established as well and it is quite difficult for new or independent companies enter the business which is formed by publishers, developers and investors. Whereas, Europe is a kind of on the make especially if we include post-communist areas such as CDProjekt, Deep Shadows, 3D People Studios and MiST Land.

Probably, European game companies are conscious of this situation and are trying to enter niche market which seems to become vacant probably because of Hollywood syndrome, under which famous companies have to keep making AAA games to justify investment.

Bullshit, I know of 3 companies that are under contract from EA making AAA titles here in sweden. Don't talk about Europe as if it were a minority, i'm betting you are an American.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:49 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by slak
Bullshit, I know of 3 companies that are under contract from EA making AAA titles here in sweden. Don't talk about Europe as if it were a minority, i'm betting you are an American.

Damn. Thought that guy wrote a good observation. Are you one of those tempermental hot-headed Europeans? Easy killer...
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:06 pm

quote:
Originally posted by slak

Why? Of course, from American publisher's side, they would like to have access to some efficient European company, which doesn't contradict against what I wrote.

Furthermore, I'm rather interested in a game of my liking rather than its nationality or its belonging to the majority. I'd rather like to see unknown companies' success rather than they are completely absorbed into the business model and begin to make another AAA game.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:34 pm

doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Right now it seems like Europe is the only place that is producing almost all of the high quality titles for the PC. If you ask me, developers like Crytek, Illusion, Io, and Pirhanna Bytes have been putting American devlopers to shame. I can hardly think of any games that have me excited that are being produced by an American studio. American developers are console focused and because of that, most of them aren't making any technically impressed games that are focused on the PC. I guess that this could be because the American business is mostly "Hollywood-i-fied", but the European business isn't. I say that as a proud American.
Post Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:42 pm