Usergroups
MOD Discussion Thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am lowering all Hunting Skills to 1 Learning Point except for Skining Fur since that is full price paid by apprentice with Bosper. Also increase trophies items value by about 50%. Maybe encourage more people will use them skills for making money also.

I also lowered all your starting 10% rookie combat skill to only big fat 0%. Now you must spend more in Combat Skills. It all balances out roughly...more Hard and Fun. Nerfed Holy Arrow.

Also rebalancing some magic spells to make alternates in a given Magic Circle more fun to play with; still not enough LP to learn all spells, but more fun than just FireBall all the time, try WindFist for fun (It is a better spell now, less mana, more damage; but not as good as the 'damage to mana' ratio as Fireball, but you get the knock back of enemies and they go flying backwards knockdown on ground, they can not rush you, rather funny -it is like what the dragon does to you when they hit you and you go flying). Makes for more Fun decision instead of the same over-powered ones all are using.

The other spells are very fun to use after they are balanced proper.
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:36 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

nice Xerxes last days u found out pretty many availabiltys keep up the good work heheh
Post Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:31 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, Found even more. I am getting better. I can now exchangeany weapon for any other weapon for all generic or Named NPC, and monsters.

Example, I gave the farmers on Lobart's farm a Rough Broadsword instead of thier Scycle. That is a big breakthrough, I can change the weapon only if the NPC are scripted to use one in the first place. For NPC with a secondary attack you can switch that also.

Back to Brahim the map maker, he is NOT scripted to have a weapon. I must either add in extra script code to 'enable' him to use a weapon, or there maybe a number to modify to allow him to use a weapon without needing to increase game.dat file lenght -not that it really matters, the EXE can still find the data by the number pattern header indentifier.

You need to know the patterns to look for, some NPC scripts are more complicated than others. I can give Brahim the weapon, but it does not show in inventory and he will not use it. I will figure him out.

I figured out how to change Specific Voice; Combat Skill; Weapon; and Fight_tactic for a given specific generic NPC or named NPC or Monster today.

It is going faster now. Maybe in a couple of months I can start writing simple scripts with basic fedex quest. It is alot of handy work as KaiRo alluded to. It is alot of work. But fun. Next, Brahim and Armor assigned to each individual.

Changing fight tactics for Dragons can make them run after you instead of sitting there and rotating. The do have the ability to walk and fly some to run after you. I almost got a good fight tactic, they are big and I do not want them to chase you and get stuck in a tree or rock. More experimenting needed, and I need to take into account the terrain they are fighting on. Gate Guards type fighting tactics will chase you; but return soon back to their post.

I changed Gate guards to mortal flag if you want to kill them. They are level 36 tough SOB; just for fun. Get your 100 gold bribe back, and Lothar can be flaged mortal to kil him after his business quest is done. I assume peole have played through the game and know which ones to wack or wait;

I think if you kill an plot critical character (normally flag immortal); they respawn in later chapter? Maybe not.

Gave some Orcs at castle a secondary weapon magic attack to use to shoot you if you are standing on draw bridge using that exploit. The extra script for secondary attack needs to be enabled and added. Orcs usual range atttack are Shaman using magic Rune. The ASC animations need to be there.

Change some specific Orcs and basically turned them into Orc Shamans. It is only a change to thier primary weapon of a Orc weapon melee to a Rune spell of your choice (default is fireball) and give them a different armor for looks, then change Fight tactic to match a ranged type fighter to stay back and pelt you from a distance with spells. No more exploit and silly bridge effect.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:35 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

For those that actually read my legenary long post

I finially figured out how to give any named or generic NPC any ARMOR.
For my example, the farmers on Lobart's farm now wear Leather Armor and pack a Rough Broadsword.

I do notice that in G2 only NPC will use Health Potion to heal themselves, and not food. In G1 they did both. Except when they eat or sleep as part of thier routine which also heals them in G2, but not as much as they did in G1. They should eat thier food on them to regain health like in G1. And in G1 the food would regenerate over time. Remember Rice Snapps? from the rice peasant at the new camp? Infinite suppy.

I next want to find where the data format code is in these Script.D like file arrays so I can add in health potions NPC can use to heal themselves. The inventory generation is psuedo-random from a given group.

Some day, I would not mind revisit G1 and add in more quest and MOD it. That has already a MOD Development Kit. I do not has Studio Max to make new meshes and skins; but it really is easy to use to change values and make more quest.

After I figure out completly the Script.D; I want to figure out how to add in custom quest to add to game. I can make a NPC appear in game and walk to another spot (I switched the two gate guards around when you reach Khorinis so that you can no longer walk around the right side one and get in easy. You still can climb the wall there off alittle to the right.

I think that was intentional? to walk right around the guard? Since Lothar will say 'I need to talk to them two'

I also removed thier immortal flags so you can kill them and get back your bribe money, and gain experience. They are level 36 tough guys, but what the heck they are not quest related.

Oh yes, Brahim, my favorite. I can make him have a weapon like Vatras and he will use magic to kill you . Since he is not a mage, I just left the condition that if you beat him up, he will NOT trade with you and you must go pay Andre a heavy fine to make things nice with him.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:14 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I hit the end of the road. I figured out how to give Brahim a weapon, you must write a line of script for it. BUT If I try to increase the length of the game.dat file; I get a U:PAR: parcing error. I can not increase the game.dat length, as for scripting goes, unless somehow I have a 'tool' so that the EXE knows about the extra data. I am not an expert.

My last thing is to try to give weapons and health potion items to NPC inventory; I think they will auto equipe the weapon (like when you get hit and knockout and the NPC takes your weapon and uses the best one).

Over all, I can change alot of stuff; I can even give Brahim a magic attack. I wish I knew how to incorporate the extra script for a given NPC. It seems as it was in G1 Mod Kit; it took a development program to 'put it in' the script game.dat so the EXE can understand it? What is Parcing of Scripts?
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:56 am
Vercingetorix
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Xerxes712, after all the hard work you've put into this, I can only come to 2 possible conclusions :

1. The Devs are working on something else and have no time to spare talking to fans/customers

2. they're on another dev/tweaking forum

I'd go for 2.

I'm pretty sure there are other people like you who figured out how to bypass your problems, and you probably unconsciously solved their problems as well.

Good luck.
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:09 am
Morning.LemoN
Village Leader
Village Leader

a question

Xerxes, may i ask you a question?

Is there a way to edit animations in G2? i'm particulary interested in some timings. for example the time that the character needs to equip his bow, or to reload for the next shot. and also i would like to change the timing for the arrows so that you can't "see" them in the air as they are travelling. and the time that the character needs to draw his sword.

I haven't read the entire post and forgive me if my question has already been answered.

any idea appreciated.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:21 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

My limited experience of the Editor Mod Kit for Gothic 1 gives me some insight into them animation files. The are in ANIM folder named say human.ASM files.

It does take an editor to change the scripts, but the values are measure in frames per second which are specificied in the script. Since it is in compiled format and not very readable; it would take quite a job to 'find' that hex value associated with it. I guess it is possible to find the frame rate.

Take a read on the tutorial for Modding Gothic 1 to see what I mean. I have not looked into that yet. it may be rather simple or extremely difficult to find and change the timings. It is all there somewhere; ultimately not impossible.

Since it was mentioned that the add-on Raven does have Mod tools on the CD, I would like to wait and get them so I can decompile and read and write the scripts with the tools. I am waiting for the English version to come out, the German websites may have the tools off the CD for download sooner to use. I do not know the compatibility. Probably need to have the add-on installed to work.

The Mod Kit tool was in German for Gothic 1 first, some was translated. Some times they are not compatable due to version changes between English and German. I can only hope.
Post Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:53 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

A note from translated tutorial made by Alistar:

***The last step is to parse the script. This is the stage where the script is compiled into a form the Gothic engine can read and stored in Gothic.dat, the file where Gothic expects all its scripting to live. In theory, this can be done with GothicStarter, the small application used to start Gothic Mods.

However, in my experience, this is not reliable with the English language version of the game. I use the Reparse option in the Spacer, and I'd recommend you do the same. It's under the World menu as Reparse Scriptfiles. You should do that now.***

I can almost get Spacer to reparse the scripts to read in the hex code hand inserted new script I added. No good for G2 by itself so far.

Maybe the new add-on Spacer tool with Raven will work with G2 + add-on.

Will Dev tools from German CD work with English version of add-on game when released? The original Gothic 1 Dev Kit tools had some work arounds to get by, though it was all written in German. English version of G1 had some things different; but still possible...
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:09 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Great walkthrough with NEW exploits!

Check out this really nice walkthrough made by Ellusion. It has a really nice unknown exploit to raise your 1h or 2h weapon skill more independent from each other without cheating! and using Akril's sword (magic 10% bonus to hit)! A must read, download is text file. This way not as much 'wasted' skill points into the 1 h or 2 h weapon fighting you do not use.

Please download from link. Great read!

***You can always find the last version at www.ellusion.no, or any of the below
guide/faq sites:

- http://www.gamefaqs.com
- http://faqs.ign.com
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:35 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

ANy input for Spell Rebalance MOD?

re-balanced the spells to make the other choices more acceptable.

With the my Spell Rebalance Mod; no more are you stuck with the clear obvious choice of "Fireball" all the time. I made the other spells more damage and less mana to give you something to think about. I also increased the spell Summon monsters attack toughness.

The other spells are really fun to play with, and with the changes I made in G2Hard mod Some monsters are either immune to a Fire based attack (such as a Fire Waren or Fire Dragon) and must use a pure Magic based attack like Lightining. Also, vice versa.

I think the changes makes the game much more fun since it makes it posible to explore the fun use of other spells such as Windfist,
Summons, and IceBlock, etc.

Right now, it is not most damage/mana ratio to choose these spells over Fireball lets say. I thought it got boring. Adds variety.

I could just add more blank runes to game to be found or bought right now, but I would rather have them as custom quest item rewards plus experience for mage class with the new Dev tools when Raven is released (or figure out how to get it to work with G2 alone).

I also nerfed Paladin Holy bolt to cost more mana; too much damage for a small mana amount. Alas, changed Oblivian scroll to use 50 mana so it a more mage thing but others can use it by eating 50 mushrooms, read book, free permenate potions found, rings and amulets without investing any mana points. (quest for alchemist).

At last, people do not seem interested in the mods I make. I do not have a place to upload. Maybe when it is released in USA; more people will enjoy them.

Maybe I can ask Gorath if this website can upload the files for download. It is not like they have alot for this game anyway. (NONE)

E-mail me and I can tell you the changes I made, not drastic, just enough in the obvious places for only a spell re-balance MOD (plus the English text correction fan patch is included with that I made).

People try it and if not like, I can get a consenus of a final balance.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:23 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Changing Hero or any NPC Head Shape and Face in game!

@Elf

Found something for you to play with for now. Use the cheat Marvin mode. Goto status screen B type 'Marvin' then exit via B. That is Marvin Mode.

pull down consule F2 then type in there at top 'Insert FH'. That will make the Face Helper Dude to appear.

Talk to him to dialog in order to change faces and Head meshes. Even can change into a woman for any female heros out there.

The male basic Head shapes are Hum_Head_Mesh Fat-bald, Bald, Pony, Fighter, Thief, Psionic.

Hero has human head mesh Pony tail with face number 18. (there are 158 male faces anyway).

To rid ponytail and keep face, try choice human head mesh Bald. He is not really bald, but the shape of head is the same as Hero but no ponytail.

There out of 6 headtype shapes and 158 'skins' for each head shape = 948 different combos!

Now I am search down in hex face 18 = 12H within the right spot script.D like file (compiled it is all numbers looks like a mess but there is order pattern to see). A talent I have. Once I find that and the number used for designate Head mesh sytle, I can permantely change what Hero looks like. I can already change all his starting stats, skills, combat skill, anything. This will complete it. Ubermensche.

I will get back with you once I find the spot and show you how it is done. please post in the Mod Discussion Thread sticky here for further answers. It makes it much easier to help all the request I am gettting for Mods to be in one spot to answer and show. I am copying this to that thread.

So try out that Face Helper cheat for fun right now until I get back and show how to make your hero new look permenate. Remember what Head Mesh shape and Face Number you want and show you how to use a hex editor to change Hero's Head Shape and Face in game! Or ANY NPC in game also.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:36 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Figured out changing Faces for Hero and NPC

After 8 hours, I figured out the code mostly for changing Faces for Hero and NPC.

The numbers obtained from using Face Helper cheat do not correspond to the actual number, it is a formula based on guild (head shape) and look up table. I will finish that up later. A very long list. Or use the formula.

I changed the Hero face and several NPC in game. This will be posted in Mod Thread. More detail on how to do it will be there later. It is late. i need to write a tutorial on how to do this, not here though.

For Elf, you want you Hero to look like Diego for now? (you can always change it later into anything you want from Face Helper cheat).

I started a New game after I modified the code. I need to check if it is always required for Face changes to take affect, it may very well work on a old savegame.

Any question, post in Mod Discussion Thread for help. Even if you do not know how to use a Hex Editor it is easy to learn.

Anyway for the quick and dirty I will assume you know how to use a Hex Editor.

Goto adress in gothic.dat file 00432C31 h and find a value 2C h for Normal Hero Face. Diego Face is 38 h just change it to that value and start a new game to check your hero; viola! You look like Diego (he has a bit of a big head until you get armor) You are his exact twin now!

Oh yes, Diego has a ponytail to. Try other numbers for random looks, until I get the formula map worked out from Face Helper output.
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:04 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Update: How to Change Head Mesh Shape for Hero or any NPC!

That code I gave you will only change the 'Skin Face' of Hero to Diego.

The Hero has a Human Head Mesh PONY, and Diego has THIEF.

If you try to do the Face only, it will not quite look like him since even though the thief and pony Head mesh both have a ponytail, the thief head mesh has a crooked nose and higher forehead than the Pony head meshes aquiline nose.

I figured out how to change the Head Mesh Shape for any NPC or Hero too!

It is the data code entry just 'before' that so to speak (look in Hex editor and you will see what I mean).

I changed several NPC and Hero to different Head Meshes. Now It is complete: Head Mesh Shape and Face.

Only thing left is to find the formula to relate data from Insert FH face helper dude cheat from Marvin mode (head shape + face number) to your liking then transform them numbers into the apropriate two numbers for insertion into code for Hero or NPC (including Seekers and Humonoid monsters).

To make Hero to have the THIEF head mesh shape instead of PONY, insert this code into the adress using a hex editor:

adress 00432C2C change 50 7F to AF 7F. The data is stored maybe as a two word byte so you really only need to change the first word 50 to AF at that exact adress in the gothic.dat file.

Now your Hero will have Exacty the same Head Mesh shape and Face Skin texture as Diego! cool huh?

If you need help using a Hex editor, do not be shy; I can direct you to some very good tutorials on the net that shows how to use one (and get several Hex Editors for free or shareware like mine is). They are not hard to learn to use at all. I had to learn -it seemed hard at first but once you see a few examples, easy as typing on your keyboard to use.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:13 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

I have a question. I don't know if its been asked already .....

Is it possible to change NPC names permanently.

So they could be written like :

I will use name John.

_________

Pyrokar - That you could made him John and not JOHN. That you could chenge their stats and everything and to make him usable as hero. (Sleeping, reading and that sort of stuff)

is anything of this possible ???

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:50 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next