Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
May have found the solution to everyone's mw problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

I think something was wrong with his refresh rate to begin with. I cranked mine up to 100 and there was no effect at all. I called two of my friends up and had them try it out also. Same result--nothing! It has no effect on fps at all.

BTW....I'd like to know how he is running it with 6x FSAA seeing as how there is no such thing.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:14 am

Uruz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I just disable vsync so I don't have to deal with all the nice problems dealing with it. I've never had problems with 'ugly tearing' due to it being off. The odd time I notice it, but it is rare.

6X AA does exist if you have a Radeon 8500.

And here is some reading material for the 30 FPS debate:
http://www.penstarsys.com/editor/30v60/30v60p1.htm
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:22 am
Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Movies are filmed at 24 FPS.

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:31 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You can not compare movie and game. It simply not same thing 24 fps in movie and 24 fps in game.
But there is somewhere large discussion about it in this forum. Try to find it, I will not write everything again.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:41 am
azombie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think the boy is onto something....

i just maxed my monitors refresh rate and sure enough it is running a LOT smoother now for me too.

1600x1200x32 @85 Hz

w00t thanks for the tip!!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 8:47 am

[quote="UruzYou can do a test with Q3 engine games using the com_maxfps command. The difference between 30 and 60 isn't huge, but if you don't notice it, you're not sensitive enough/not used to it, or not being truthful.[/quote]

I dunno where the "30 frames per second is all we can see" comes from, but it isnt true. You can perhaps not discern detailed differences in a 30 fps and a 60 fps game, but you can indeed tell that there is a difference. IMO you must go above 100 in order to have satiated our eye's capacitiy - and that aint a proven fact, just a feeling I have after having done many tests.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:29 am

regarding fps and eye:
http://www.penstarsys.com/editor/30v60/30v60p1.htm
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:40 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

On a steady frame-flow 2 meters from your face by a RGB TV Screen 24 fps is enough.

But on a computer the flow is never steady, sometimes the FPS can be 30, sometimes it can be 40, sometimes it can be 20, depending of what it is you see on screen. Since you are close to the monitor, and the monitor generally have a larger HZ rate, and produce higher resolutions than a TV Screen you should generally say that about 60 fps is enough. Some people, often younger people, claims that not even 60 fps is enough for them.

It is up to everyone, but I should say that 60 fps is something to aim for.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:20 am
FormerDiabloPlayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the info...I'll try that tonight.....

Post Wed May 15, 2002 1:21 pm

It'll be a loooong time before anyone gets 60fps in Morrowind.
(Not counting indoors)
Post Wed May 15, 2002 1:34 pm

Midiboy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

That was a very interesting article. Thanks for sharing that. I think I can see where you are coming from now. Sorry if I seemed argumentitive.

Check out http://www.midiboy.com for info about Midiboy Music
Post Wed May 15, 2002 2:59 pm
BootySnooty

I got a question, i have a IIYama vision master 17 inch, it says in refresh rate 100 at the bottom..i have it at 85 HZ can i try 100? i heard from people that spoke to IIYama people going to 100HZ is risky??
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:08 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

If the resolution can be shown, then it can be used without risk.

If you hear a high pitched noise when you use a certain resolution, then you should be afraid. Very afraid.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:31 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by azombie
I think the boy is onto something....

i just maxed my monitors refresh rate and sure enough it is running a LOT smoother now for me too.

1600x1200x32 @85 Hz

w00t thanks for the tip!!

I believe all he is onto is a simple issue of timing (it's funny how the simplest of solutions can have the greatest effect). At 60 Hz with Vsync enabled, you're video card can only send a frame every 16.67 ms. It waits for the signal VREF to be asserted by the monitor. So, suppsoe we render our first frame at time t = 0 and it takes us 9.5 ms to render the frame we then have to wait ~7.17 ms (16.67 - 9.5) before we can send the frame to the monitor and begin rendering the next one. Now suppose we increase the refresh rate to 100 Hz. well now we can send a frame every 10 ms. In our example, we would only have to wait .5 ms before we could send our frame and begin rendering the next one.

Think of it in terms of a train station. If the trains come every 15 minutes vs. every 25 minutes, you don't have to wait as long before you board a train.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:32 pm
Delmonte

If something works I'll try it.

The timing arguement seems to be a good one but if this is the cause then turning vsync off should be the ultimate solution. What would be interesting to know if people who are seeing an improvement by changing their refresh rate still see an improvement if they put their refresh rate back and turn vsync off.

On a side note I upgraded my machine to make morrowind work better and in the time it took for all the bits to arrive threads like these almost fixed the problem. Still I got a new computer through financial control (my wife) and hence I would say a big thank you to the Morrowind developers.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 6:17 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next