FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Lionheart (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
cl0p1ru5

Why there`s no Fallout in the "related games"?
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:42 pm

Nekira

Because they're looking more at setting, genre, etc., than game mechanics. This may be a good or a bad thing...
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:44 am

Lady Guinavia

Will the game be based on Ad&D rules. or not
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:52 pm

Hunter

It based off the Special rules system. That is why everyone compares it to fallout that also used the special system. No AD&D rules <br> <br>
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:53 pm

Myrthos

Not. It will use the SEPCIAL system as used previously in the Fallout series.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:54 pm

Einherjar

I will wait patiently for this game, it's gonna rock!
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:16 pm

Rex Exitium

Damn right it is.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:30 am

Sheepo

YOUR SO RIGHT!!! i'm gonna wait for the game!! <br>i say u guys should go to this site fo more updated info! <br>http://feedback.blackisle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=44
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:15 pm

hoyp

its overrated as usual
Post Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:35 am

Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Lionheart

Oh NO!!! Another cheap game on a flat background with tiny figures forever trudging north uphill has hit the shops. One look at a screenshot said it all for me
I can't be bothered with these crap-looking games when there're MUCH better immersive graphics around - like Morrowind, Gothic, Arx Fatalis, Mistmare.... to name a few. Still.... <shrug> ...some people like 'em, but I'd rather spend my hard-earned dollars playing a 3D game with large characters and a mediocre story, than a flat 2D game with tiny characters a good story. Maybe I'm too visually oriented, lol. Black Isle won't be getting a share of my $80.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:45 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

This game is somewhat of a disappointment for me. I expected a lot from the use of the SPECIAL system, but I guess I associate it too much with the content of the Fallout series, rather than what it truly is.

This game plays almost exactly like the BG series and almost nothing like the Fallout series. And it's not just about the setting. It's about unimaginative dialogs. About colourless NPCs. About a lack of personality in the game. Too many quests dumped onto you, but too many pointless NPCs that were put on this world just to give you such quests.

You see a character standing in a corner looking slightly different than others? He's got a quest for you. You see a kid standing next to the sewer? He's got a quest for you in the sewer. And so on, and so forth. NPCs have no life in them. The city doesn't operate. Everybody just stands around, quiet, or repeating the same two lines over and over and over again.

Remember the New Reno crime families from Fallout 2? Now there is a quest! Or rather a set of quests. You have a choice. You could play out at least 6 different endings to New Reno, and none were really all that much better than the others. None of them were 'good', 'neutral', or 'evil'. They all were just different 'normal' outcomes for various actions in life. That's what made it interesting, and worth coming back again and again.

In comparison, the choices in Lionheart are just either too obvious, or too subtle. You're forced to make decisions, when you have no data to base them on. You uncover a spy in the Spanish Armada. Do you report them or let them go? Well, am I supposed to be Spanish? Or against Spain? What are the consequences? Why would I want to do one or the other?

These are the kind of half baked quests and RP choices that remind me so much of BG series. They are just supposed to be quests that drive you further along the map where you'll find more things to kill. There is no point to killing, other than to kill. I guess I'm playing a role of a killer, without really chosing to do so. *slight spoiler* I come to a new map, and a goblin confronts me. He tells me to go kill a dryad. If I refuse, he attacks me and I have to kill him. I accept and I have to kill the dryad. I don't, and she gives me a quest to kill the goblin khan. *end spoiler* Whichever way you look, everything revolves around killing someone. The goblin didn't ask me to 'resolve' the matter with the dryad. She didn't ask me to 'resolve' the matter with the khan.

I guess the SPECIAL system isn't what made FO series what they were. I suppose it was the content designers that did it, and those left BI studios long ago.

Don't get me wrong, Lionheart is a very well implemented game. It is, IMHO, superior to BG series. It looks nicer and the options are great. I also like the SPECIAL system. It's just that the magic of FO is not there.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:18 pm
ZEBRA

lionheart

I've finished the game, but had to use cheat codes -- there are spots that are just NOT do-able with the available character attributes -- if you don't read the walkthru you cannot place the leveling points appropriately and even then I think the end game scenario is impossible without the cheat codes -- very disappointed!

Looks to me as if they released the game too early...... Didn't attempt to finalize any other areas except the Barcelona quests...

A reasonable Act One.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:35 am