Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is substituting the game music possible??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Is substituting the game music possible??

I was wondering the other day if it's possible to insert music from other games or CDs into Gothic II. I'm certainly no programmer, but I was thinking that if you could convert the custom music files into the proper format, and then substitute them for the originals with the exact same names and in the proper folder, you could in effect create your own soundtrack for the game.

1. Does anyone know if this is doable?
2. What exactly determines one track fading into another based on location in the game world?
3. And would substituting songs mess this up, or would it do the "blending" thing with the new music as well?
4. What program is needed in order to make this happen?

Now I'm sure that somebody will send the inevitable response to this post that goes something like: "Why would you want to do this?" So I've taken the liberty to answer this from the start: For curiosity's sake!! I like the music in Gothic II, but there are some games or movie soundtracks that I think would be more fitting to the Gothic world, and I just want to give it a try and see how it turns out.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:06 am
Byblos
Village Leader
Village Leader

I have help!!!!!! Support!!!

This would be good because then I could extract the music and listen to it whenever!
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:02 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

it is surely possible just convert those songs into the same like gothic songs are and rename them with the names that gothic songs are and it is done. btw the fading thing is still unknown u probably have to find that out by youself
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:49 am
MASTER
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Is substituting the game music possible??

quote:
Originally posted by Jabberwocky
I was wondering the other day if it's possible to insert music from other games or CDs into Gothic II. I'm certainly no programmer, but I was thinking that if you could convert the custom music files into the proper format, and then substitute them for the originals with the exact same names and in the proper folder, you could in effect create your own soundtrack for the game.

1. Does anyone know if this is doable?
2. What exactly determines one track fading into another based on location in the game world?
3. And would substituting songs mess this up, or would it do the "blending" thing with the new music as well?
4. What program is needed in order to make this happen?

Now I'm sure that somebody will send the inevitable response to this post that goes something like: "Why would you want to do this?" So I've taken the liberty to answer this from the start: For curiosity's sake!! I like the music in Gothic II, but there are some games or movie soundtracks that I think would be more fitting to the Gothic world, and I just want to give it a try and see how it turns out.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I think that the music from G2 is ok. I like it.
Why change it?
And... btw, realy the music from G3 will be entirely played by an REAL orchestra, not made by computer?
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:23 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Ask the mod team. Cothyso might have an answer for you.
NFG member
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:31 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

See?! I knew it! I just knew someone would ask the question anyway. Well Master, I answered your question of "Why change it?" in my first post:

quote:

@ Bartacus: Good idea. I just might do that.

@ everyone: Does anyone know the answer to question #4? I won't be able to do this at all unless I have a program that can convert into the file ext. that Gothic uses. The files are listed as STY files. Anybody know what that is?
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:59 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Of course they are do-able,

You can swap/exchange so long as you DO NOT change the titles/names, different sound files are "called-to" (requested) by the game code, they can have different attributes, there are sounds, wav's, cutscenes-(sounds) themes, jingles and various lengths and depth, i.e smalltalk is played low, some forrest sounds are sort of reverbed (echo) some sounds are "looped" through a timer or sequence, you can play any game sound through marvin, you can extract them or even play them in windows, you can re-work them then put them back into the vdf volumes, you can record you own speech and substitute the files, yes - many things can be done with sound files,
"Goman" can see the sound files and extract them, building the vdf volumes is a little bit more involved. The vdfs.exe tool can extract and re-build the volumes.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:20 pm
MASTER
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
... Well Master, I answered your question of "Why change it?" in my first post:

ok, sorry for misunderstanding, see you later.
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:22 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Okay, thanks for the info Wulf. I have vdfs.exe of course in my Gothic II folder somewhere. But where can I find this "Goman" program? I've searched the internet but all I find are web-sites with gaming cheat codes.

@ Master: I hope I didn't upset you, I wasn't bothered by your question, I just thought it was ironic, that's all!
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:59 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

The World of Gothic site has many Gothic and G2 related stuff,

browse around, don't let the German language put you off, a lot of reading between the lines is possible:

This is the Goman download page :-

http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/index.php?go=downloads&release_id=97

You could say this site has almost everything - - - in German!
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:20 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

and after u mod the songs there let us know how it went
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:06 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Okay, I'm downloading Goman now. I haven't had time to do anything because my computer caught a nasty virus, and I've been forced to deal with that for the past several days. Thanks for the link Wulf. I'll let everyone know what I come up with.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:23 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I've been messing around with Goman and VDFS extractor, but still having problems with the music. Goman seems to only recognize textures and the like rather than sound files. And although I can extract all the sound effects and speech for the game using VDFS, it still doesn't recognize the in-game music, which files end with the extension .STY

Any ideas??

P.S. I sent a PM to Torracat, as I remembered he posted earlier about finally getting the music to G2 on soundtrack. Maybe he can tell me exactly how to do it.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:51 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Jabberwocky,

Sorry to hear of that nasty virus, had the same prob' a couple of months ago.

You can at least see the files in Goman yes?. then highlight, then export as, what file types do you have for exporting as ? - - also you could export the files "as" using the vdfs tool, yes?. i'm going from memory here, will have a quick try-out with Goman then let you know.
Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:06 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

btw Torracat knows probably for sure how to rip the songs out and probably how to convert them back so try to reach him indeed
Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:36 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next