RPGDot Network    

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Play the game without selling to the creeper?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
iloveplywood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Play the game without selling to the creeper?

Just a quick question. Though, I've tried to avoid spoilers at all costs I have heard about the creeper that allows you to sell things at full price. I happen to have a love/hate relationship with the economy but plan on avoiding this creeper as an unlimited money supply would seem to really hurt the quality of this game(not sure I'd find it on my own anyway). My question is, is the game playable without the creeper or did Bethesda put it in for a reason?

Sorry if this is a rehash, feel free to ignore if it is.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:29 pm
D.J.
Village Leader
Village Leader

no he doesnt have any signficant role, you can calmly ignore him.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:47 pm
Vercingetorix

Jeepers, Creepers!

Why NOT sell to him?, ...he gives the best rates, especially if you have not pumped up your mercantile skill and personality. He does not give out "free money" as you suggest, just gives you good rates, -- you still have to go out and find, earn, or steal the goods you sell.

Moreover, he has a more useful strategic purpose that many do not realize. Because he holds all purchased items indefinately, ...if you accidentally sell a vital quest item (without realizing it, of course), it makes it easy to find that item again days, weeks, or months later when you actually encounter the start of the quest and finally realize your mistake. Instead of having to visit every single merchant you may have ever dealt with in the last few weeks, by limiting your buying and selling activities to just one merchant (namely, Creeper), you will find it easy to repair quests you "completed" by accident.

That way you won't have to lop off several related quests because you sold off a quest-ending item and you don't know in which shop it could possibly be sitting, collecting e-dust.

Of course you could achieve the same strategic goal by just limiting your buying and selling to one shopping area, ...but why intentionally buy high and sell low? Perhaps they should add another role category called, "Sucker".
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:38 pm

Sand
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Jeepers, Creepers!

quote:
Originally posted by Vercingetorix
Why NOT sell to him?, ...he gives the best rates, especially if you have not pumped up your mercantile skill and personality.
Of course you could achieve the same strategic goal by just limiting your buying and selling to one shopping area, ...but why intentionally buy high and sell low? Perhaps they should add another role category called, "Sucker".

Why not buy 1 mana practice spells? They give the best skill increases, especially if you don't want to use your spells in dangerous situations.

Why not tape down the control key while standing behind a motionless NPC? It gives the best Sneak increases -- especially if you have not pumped up your sneak skill and agility.

Why not hit the Auto-run key and point your character into a wall while you go eat dinner?

They already have the role category called "Exploiter". Bypassing the entire disposition system is an exploit.

I used Creeper once before I realized that he was an aberration to the economic system. I put the 5K I made on a table (where it remains) and haven't used him since. The game is indeed quite playable -- probably moreso since I haven't been able to afford uber-items that would make it too easy.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:59 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

you can do everything you want in the game, so don't worry

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:13 pm
Ngetal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Sand
Why not buy 1 mana practice spells? They give the best skill increases, especially if you don't want to use your spells in dangerous situations. <snip>

While I occasionally use Creeper (not very often, because bartering is fun) I generally feel like I'm cheating when I do. On other characters, I did the 'buy and sell Ordinator stuff'. This really unbalanced my game, and it wasn't any fun.

However, while I agree with most of your points, I don't agree with the above. I don't use the practice spells on any skill that is a major or minor skill, but I *do* use them on the misc. skills if I have them. I find that it is something to do while walking, and also is more 'fun' than getting trained. I think it is also more 'fair' to do it this way.

There's my .02 worth...
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:40 pm
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

or you could make it even more fun and take him out. the orcs will attack you, but that makes it even better. leave him there on the ground as a remider to others...hehehe
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:48 am

quote:
Why not buy 1 mana practice spells? They give the best skill increases, especially if you don't want to use your spells in dangerous situations.

Why not tape down the control key while standing behind a motionless NPC? It gives the best Sneak increases -- especially if you have not pumped up your sneak skill and agility.

Why not hit the Auto-run key and point your character into a wall while you go eat dinner?

Great ideas. I'll try them over the weekend!
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:24 am

Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:

I actually did this. But the game was TOTALLY unplayable until I had run at 100% and speed above 90 or so. Most people use mods to be able to move in a reasonable speed. I did it this way instead. Still don't feel like cheating to me.

Besides, I have no clue as to who the creeper is. And I don't intend to find out either. My 22000 gold is quite enough. At least they were honestly earned.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:38 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
probably moreso since I haven't been able to afford uber-items that would make it too easy.

lmao

You don't buy "uber-items" you find them the instant you begin exploring.

Perhaps though you could just limit yourself to not exploring anywhere in the game unless you're doing a fed-ex quest.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:23 am
iloveplywood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Certainly don't want to start another endless balance debate, but for some reason the game is balanced for my style of play, either that or i just haven't played enough. Of course, I don't steal with my character (exception for major slave owners) and it seems like a lot of uber items are found this way.

I'm probably dead wrong about this, but at level 8 I'm still playing with a jinks short sword and some other relatively minor magic items. I'll be thankful when I can kick everyone's ass but then again I have a short attention span and 40-60 hours of gameplay is a satisfying length for a single player game to moi.

Just to be clear, I really don't want to start a balance debate I'm certainly not disputing anything anyone has said about the balance (I haven't played enought to claim to know anything), so no need to prove me wrong. One might question what the hell this post is supposed to be then, but I've typed too much not to submit it now.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:33 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Llama
You don't buy "uber-items" you find them the instant you begin exploring.

Hmm.. Then tell me where to find a constant effect glowing (light spell) ebony shoulder pad? Or a constant effect water breathing whatever? I thought you had to buy those things for an insane amount of money. (which is why I have none of those items.. yet)
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:25 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Just northwest of Seyda Neen, in a little cave is a ring that adds 10 to INT and WIL, as a constant effect.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:11 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Is that the cave you can see if you go to palegiag/ vivec.?
It's just outside seyda neen, planning to explore it next.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:00 pm
Dreaga07
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Creeper??

Since i keep hearing the name Creeper I have a question. Who he heck is he and where can i find him??????

=Member of The Sixth House=
=Member of The Non-Flamer's Guild=
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next