The Matrix Revolutions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The Matrix Revolutions

Have you seen the movie yet?, what you think?

No bad, but i am not thrilled either with most part of the movie - the dialogs, plot, and the ending. The only good thing is the action aspect of the movie.

And it seem many film critics also aren't very pleased with the outcome of the last movie:

quote:
The Matrix (1999)
Reviews counted: 108
Fresh: 93 Rotten: 15
Average Rating: 8/10
RATING: FRESH READING: 86%

The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
Reviews counted: 207
Fresh: 152 Rotten: 55
Average Rating: 7/10
RATING: FRESH READING: 73%

The Matrix Revolutions (2003)
Reviews counted: 106
Fresh: 38 Rotten: 68
Average Rating: 5.6/10
RATING: ROTTEN READING: 36%

Source - Rotten Tomattoes.
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:44 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

That's interesting. Several game site editors (ActionTrip, Shacknews etc) had mentions of it today and I got the impression it was much better than Reloaded. I'll have to pay more attention...
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:40 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I'm gonna see it tomorrow, so I'll soon have my own opinion about it.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:08 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I LOVED IT!!! LOVED IT!!!

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:31 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

waste of good money
i should have seen it coming since the first was great the second medicore
so the third had to be a disapointment
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:04 am
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Oh God! My eyes! They burn! Argh!

Yes, it's that bad.
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:32 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I thought it was incredible. It covered all the aspects of life.

The first movie was about Birth. The second was about Becoming. The third is about Death - everything is at risk of destruction, as the trailers say. Another trinity view would be Denial, Acceptance, Belief. The film series works on many different levels if you "Look past the flesh and recognize your enemy" as Agent Smith declares.

In all cases they movies depicted what they had set out to represent. Reloaded looked to be filler unless AND ONLY UNLESS you take it in context with the third movie. Had it been one four hour movie instead of two two hour movies it would have made much more sense. That's why Revolutions started with a half hour of philosophy... it should have been a turning point in Reloaded.

Underneath everything is one theme, regardless... and that theme is masterfully represented: CHOICE.

Choice is key to the first movie, the second movie, and DEFINITELY the third movie. I know some people who are dissappointed at the end of the third movie, thinking it 'unresolved' or 'open ended'... it is. Deliberately. Life is not a tidy clean package. What you choose to make of the end of the movie is your Choice and it's what they've been advocating since the very first choice made: Red Pill or the Blue Pill?

And the action was top notch. Machines fighting like machines would! Power armor! Lasers! Anime fight sequences in live action (we're not talking the excellently choreographed low fantasy sequences in Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon. We're talking over the top high impact Anime like Dragonball Z)!

The weakness was, of course, the acting. That's because none of the actors are particularly good. It's a flaw of the entire series. When Hugo Weaving delivers the most consistant performance and does the best job you know something is wrong.

I couldn't imagine the series wrapping up in a more fitting way.

Some people hate it... probably more people hate it than love it... but then, that is their Choice... and it's exactly what the series was aiming for. Like Evangelion.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:44 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I saw it two days ago and I agree with the poster above me (Xen).
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:49 pm
Pikkon
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief

Well Xen, You had a lot of imotion in that post... I think the movie was good, It was understandable thats a good thing, You see, the Matrix, it took me 10 times of seeing it to understand it, Matrix reloded, Still dont understand it (saw it once) But the revolution, I understood it compleatly, Its a good movie, they thought of a good Ending, its resonible...
But atill, I liked the first movie the most!
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:21 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Crawling though the mucky, metaphorical swamp that is Revolutions was NO easy feat.

Horrible dialogue, horrible acting, cliché upon cliché, and still you could look back and say that the movie was 'OK'. Mostly thanks to the special effects. But damn... those dialogues managed to ruin almost every scene.

Evangelion was based on choice? No... not really.

EDIT: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize how silly most of the movie is. Why were they sooo afraid of squids in the first movie? Why be afraid of agents? Many of the 'rules' were just disregarded to make the movie look cool. Too many changes.
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:24 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Sure it was. At any given time in the series someone could have killed Gendo and averted the Third Impact. Even after everyone had been tanged the end of the series gave the power of choice to Weeny Boy and he chose what he did.

In any case....

I like the philosophical muck of the Matrix series as much as I liked the wonderful special effects. Like all movies it's not for everyone. I can't bring myself to enjoy anything by David Cronenburg no matter what I do, for instance.

edit response: Mortality. There's a functionally infinite number of squids and agents cannot die. Makes fighting either of them a bad idea until the One appeared.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:37 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thing is, Revolutions, and Reloaded to some extent, were blantantly christian (or anything close to christianity anyway). The first was more sublime and not so much made after a formula. It could also be interpreted in many different religious ways. The finer philosophical lines were horribly exposed after Matrix 1. The worst being the Causality-101 speech by "Merv".

*EVANGELION SPOILER*

As for Evangelion, Shinji hated humanity and himself throughout the series. He only got to make the choice on the outcome of humanity because a certain someone loved him. And he learned to love himself and thus could also begin to love others. Are you seeing a pattern here? The ying and the yang? Both endings of Evangelion ammount to the same thing.
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:49 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I liked it. It was better than Reloaded, but definitely not better than the original. It was different from the others, because so little of the movie actually took place inside the Matrix. I thought the battle in Zion was very good and very intense, and that was a BIG difference from all the kung-fu shootouts the other two movies offer. I was a bit disappointed by the final Smith fight. Sure, it's cool that everyone on earth is a Smith, but the fight itself just became Superman versus Superman. I mean, I know that the Smith he had to fight was the one that had been the Oracle, and that he had the power of all of them, but it wasn't as cool as the fight with 200 Smiths in Reloaded. All in all, I liked the movie, and it was worth seeing, but I'm not gonna buy it.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:37 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I just saw it today. It wasn't bad, but that's because after seeing Reloaded I shelved all of my expectations.

As for it being blantantly Christian? I disagree. I don't remember Karma being a part of Christianity. The theme of love had a lot to do in the movie, but that isn't just a part of Christianity, it's a part of Humanity.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:05 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

i saw the movie yesterday. and i think it wasn't bad, but i thought it would be better.
Post Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:14 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next