Usergroups
Worst RPG Ever?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Alright, we've heard on the best... we've heard on the hardest. Now, what's the WORST RPG you've ever played (or started). I don't think we should count console, as things tend to get split there between great and hideous... so...

Ammendment: What's the WORST PC CRPG you've ever played? Who made your personal wall of shame and why?

Mine is Pool of Radiance 2. That game just didn't come together for me. The combat was slow -- really slow-- and often appeared to be 'fixed'. The character generation system was harsh, and then they overcompensated with a billion magic items. Too much of the scenerey looked alike, and I really, REALLY didn't like how you couldn't get more thaan like 5 steps away from your party.

I liked the original POR better, and I tried it after playing around a bit in POR2. At least the combat moved... imagine fighting 50 kobolds in ROMD? You'd die from old age before your turn came around again...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:47 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Evil Islands
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:55 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Evil Island
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:21 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I never played a CRPG I didn't actually like, butof those I played I liked Dungeon Master 2 the least, mainly because I was too dumb to figure out the magic system .

Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:53 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

these are the dungeon master spells -> they work in dungeon master 2, too. there are some more to find on scrolls in the dungeon.

Class: Wizard

Symbols: Number: Spell:

Des Ew *,5,2 Weakens Non-Material Beings
Des Ir Sar *,5,4,6 Darkness
Des Ven *,5,1 Poison Bolt
Ful *,4 Torch
Ful Ir *,4,4 Fireball
Oh Ew Sar *,3,2,6 Invisibility
Oh Ir Ra *,3,4,5 Light
Oh Kath Ra *,3,3,5 Lightning Bolt
Ya Bro Ros *,1,5,2 Magic Footprints
Ya Ir *,1,5 Shield Party
Zo *,6 Opens doors
Zo Kath Ra *,6,3,5 Zokathra
Zo Ven *,3,1 Poison Potion

Class: Priest

Ful Bro Ku *,4,5,1 Strength Potion
Ful Bro Neta *,4,5,4 Fire Shield
Oh Bro Ros *,3,5,2 Dexterity Potion
Oh Ew Ra *,3,2,5 See through Walls
Oh Kath Sar Monster Confusion (not confirmed)
Oh Ven *,6,1 Poison Cloud
Vi *,2 Restore Health Potion
Vi Bro *,2,5 Cure Poison Potion
Ya *,1 Stamina
Ya Bro *,1,5 Magic shield
Ya Bro Dain *,1,5,3 Wisdom
Ya Bro Neta *,1,5,4 Vitality
Ya Ir *,1,4 Magic shield
Zo Bro Ra *,6,5,5 Mana Potion

*=Effect (1 - 6)

Dungeon Master 2 is a tough game, but fun if you can survive

Hx
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:22 pm

Well... that's two for Evil Islands. I downloaded the demo, but seeing as I also downloaded the demo for Deus Ex (shame on me for not playing it years ago), Wiz 8, and Summoner on the same day... I haven't so much as expanded it yet.

Why was Evil Islands SO bad? I know it's been covered briefly elsewhere, but how about a quick point summary?

Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:37 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Blast... that was me.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:45 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:

On 2002-02-13 07:37, Anonymous wrote:
Well... that's two for Evil Islands. I downloaded the demo, but seeing as I also downloaded the demo for Deus Ex (shame on me for not playing it years ago), Wiz 8, and Summoner on the same day... I haven't so much as expanded it yet.

Why was Evil Islands SO bad? I know it's been covered briefly elsewhere, but how about a quick point summary?

There's no "wow", no "umph" to it. The game just doesnt make me wonder how can I do this, or that? The game is just...there.
And there's this run meter that restricts you from running more than 30-35 ft without losing all your stamina. Acid spitting toads (yea right), it just seems like this game is in need of a serious tweakin, both in game-mechanics and in overall presentation. Just leave me with a SNES taste in my mouth.
Bland, for lack of a better word, could describe the entire game.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:49 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Hey man... if acid spitting toads were a qualification for the Wall of Shame, every Wizardry would be there.

So it suffers from the more-often-console problem of "*yawn* Just another RPG?" syndrome? Fair enough.

Anyone else?

Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 2:10 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Hej, Anonymous, don't listen to them . Evil Islands is great, long and difficult. Definitely worth of trying. And requires a lot of strategy during play. You can't just go and slash everything everywhere. See my summary in general crpg http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2808&forum=5&7
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:07 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yeah I would agree with soltys that Evil Islands isn't as bad as some of the posters are making it seem... I played it for a little while before I got Wizardry 8. Not a great crpg but not bad at all... definatly not the worst rpg I've played... I definatly plan on picking it back up again when I have free time and playing it some more... Personally the worst RPG I've played is Darkstone(If diablo is considered a rpg then darkstone is also a RPG) I think its the only game I've ever returned to the store before for an exchange... I didn't play it much but I remember starting it and then thinking that If I wanted to play Diablo I'd freaking play Diablo not some rip off... It might not be bad but I didn't have any motivation to see...
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:19 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Thanks, HiddenX... but I loathe games I can't figure out all by myself, so I won't take another try at DM2.

I remember vividly how I had to pause for whole two weeks in the first Lands of Lore because had no idea about how to go on in the castle (in that blasted room with the turning floor plates). When I was lying in bed one night (after those two weeks) it suddenly hit me - I was like, 'why did they cut you off from your automap in there? There must be a reason... what might you see on an automap that you don't see with your eyes?'.
Then I knew. I tested my thesis, and I was right, so I could play on.

But in DM2 I actually had trouble to survive traversing 10 meters of open space, so I uninstalled it after a few days.

Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:31 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:

On 2002-02-13 09:19, Incindium wrote:
(A) Yeah I would agree with soltys that Evil Islands isn't as bad as some of the posters are making it seem...
(B) It might not be bad but I didn't have any motivation to see...

(A) Yes it is But, it does make a GREAT coaster for drinks, not a watermark on my desk yet.
(B) This is how I thought on my first time through EI. Second time, however, I was 100% sure...It *is* that bad, and only thing that left me motivated about this game was to get it out of my drive

But like they say:
Opinions are like A$$holes:
Everybody's got one and they all stink.

So if you feel like gambling away some cash, go check it out, you might like it...if you like to sneak, and watch your stamina, and fight with butterknives...
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:37 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Hey just to make it clear...that (B) quote was about Darkstone not Evil Islands... I like Evil Islands... I'm sorry you didn't....
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:50 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Jaz.. the first Lands of Lore is still one of my favorite all time rpgs... and one of the first that I actually completed to the end... I don't remember alot about the game except is was fairly difficult but linear enough that figuring out where you needed to go next wasn't that big an issue but figuring out what exactly you had to do to solve some of the puzzles was.
Post Wed Feb 13, 2002 3:55 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next