Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
To the people who bought the XBOX version of the game...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

To the people who bought the XBOX version of the game...

How is it? Controls, graphics, sound are all good? Any noticeable bugs? If you've played the PC version, how does it compare?

-Matt will be buying the XBOX version if people tell him it's good.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:15 am

funny you should ask....

I was about to post the same questions (and assertion ).

I'd also like to know if there is a console command in the xbox version.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:31 am

RyeDog
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hope this helps

I have played the pc version relentlessly for about a month now and love it. Then, as i promised myself, i bought the xbox version of the game as well. here are the differences in my opinion:

Xbox version: all load times seem faster to me, i can play the game fluently with good visual distance, better then on my Athlon 1Ghz with a gforce 4ti 4600. Guess my processor is too slow or something. Can enjoy benefites of playing on my 42' TV in master bedroom while still bonding with my wife ( a real plus for all us husbands with high maintenance wifes). But not too sure about console access, desperately looking... Also, the controls took virtually no time at all to learn.

PC Version: i have full access to the console commands, greater visual resolution control. Convieniently set in my home office when in dog house with my wife

Im sure there are more differences, but these are the major ones to me. If you do buy the game, you will get the same manual adapted to the xbox controller, and the same fold out map, but with slightly thinner paper than pc version.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:43 am
roy686

Xbox or Pc game

Is the PC Game more hard to pass true than the Xbox ?
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:24 am

Aerothorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Other the no mods and controls and stuff, the disadvantage of the Xbox version it seems is no console command...so if you pick up a quest item accidentilly and sell it, well, your screwed. It sucks so much.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:19 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

So is the X-box version pretty much bug-free? I know I couldn't have played the pc version very far without the console commands due to bugs in the game. I know they had to patch it up quite a bit because it's not like they can just ask you to d/l a patch to upgrade to version x.xx with the X-Box...can they?
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:24 am

It was posted on the morrowind.com forums that attempting to change the controls of the game results in an irreperable lockup, every time.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:40 am

Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

Load times alone are good. But what's this about crashing when trying to change controls? Anyone else experienced this?

Is it a cold hard fact that you can't access the console?

-Matt
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:06 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Hope this helps

quote:
Originally posted by RyeDog
Xbox version: all load times seem faster to me, i can play the game fluently with good visual distance, better then on my Athlon 1Ghz with a gforce 4ti 4600. Guess my processor is too slow or something.

Guys, be carefull when comparing performances between XBox and PC. The XBox is working on a P3 700 or 733 I think, and shouldn't be even close to hitting the framerates of your Athlon with GF4 ti4600. BUT!!! But the XBox is running at a resolution of 640x480 or less! That makes a HUGE difference! Try that on your Athlon PC and I'm very sure you'll get the same kind of visual distance, and you'll probably be able to set all AI to full distance too! Chances are on your PC you are running at a resolution of 1024x768, or maybe even more. Setting to a lower resolution will free up some processor cycles and might boost the loading speed between zones. Never tried it myself though.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:26 pm
Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

Though it does have to run at 640x480 (TVs can't display any higher, anyway), remember that it has all the neat effects on (pixel shading, full shadows on everything, far enough view distance) and runs at a constant 30+fps with shorter load times. That's no small feat.

The 733MhZ processor and 64MB RAM (and the GF 3 1/2 caliber chip) the XBOX sport are misleading, as well - remember that there's no overhead (an operating system, instant messengers, anti-virus programs, etc.) so the system can devote every inch of its resources to gamin'.

Just a clarification The PSOne ran at 33MhZ, and my 600 chokes emulating it.

-Matt
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:47 pm
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

My opinion:

I bought the xbox version of the game but not the pc version so I can't speak for the pc. But the xbox version is great. The game does give the xbox a good work out as you can hear it constantly crunching as you play. Frame rate is nice most of the time. I spent the entire weekend playing and had only one lock-up on me. No big deal. The game does look nice for the most part. Seems like the smaller towns and outside are much more detailed than the bigger towns. All and all I love the game. I give it a 9.6.

Oh yeah the sound is great with DOLBY D.!!
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:28 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Hmmm. Well actually t.v.'s can run 800x600. I hooked my tv to my video card a couple of times. I use the nvidia nforce mother board and i get 5.1 surround using the nvidia apu's. If you have and nforce and surround sound hooked up then just put the analog out on stereo.. Then go in and stand in front of a torch and test it. You will hear the torch go behind you as you turn around. Just thought i would throw that in. Seem like they spent more time on the x-box version then PC. WTF?!?! Consoles should not get any pc game until at least a year later. This is what you get when they dont.Its all about the money$$$$$
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:44 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Fireteddy
The 733MhZ processor and 64MB RAM (and the GF 3 1/2 caliber chip) the XBOX sport are misleading, as well - remember that there's no overhead (an operating system, instant messengers, anti-virus programs, etc.) so the system can devote every inch of its resources to gamin'.

Just a clarification The PSOne ran at 33MhZ, and my 600 chokes emulating it.

That's because a PC had to emulate the PSX entirely. The XBox *is* a PC and uses the x86 architecture (it's a pIII ffs), and admittedly only a few background tasks will make the game run quicker (it still has a modified version of Windows CE in the background), but the Xbox is still a PC. And it mainly runs so well due to the 640*480 resolution.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:11 pm