Members
Usergroups
overrated
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
HolyWarriorov

overrated

Will someone PLEEEEEEASE tell me what is so great about the Baldur's Gate series? I've TRIED to like it, stuck with it to halfway in the game, then I just give up. The combats are soooo tedious, the storyline is a bore, the voice acting is awful, the magic system is overloaded with worthless spells, the skill system is virtually nonexistant, and why should I play this when there is Might & Magic or Wizardry?
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:50 am

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The simplest answer is because it's argueably the best D&D CRPG series released so far. I was fiercely dissappointed with Baldur's Gate 1... it was terrible. I don't know why I bought Baldur's Gate II... but I did, and it was so much better that I name it one of my favorites. The story was better. The character classes were better. The combat was better.

Why should you play this when you could be playing Wizardry or Might and Magic? You shouldn't. If you don't like a single thing about the series, then don't play the series. I can't stand Wizardry myself, and I've played most of them part way through. I downloaded the demo for 8 to be sure... and yep... I still don't like the Wizardry series.

Useless spells and no skills are common problems to D&D CRPGS because the pen and paper rules the games were built on are full of crap. It's my favorite RPG, but most of it is empty crap. 3rd edition fixed a lot of that to get with the times, and I'm hoping Neverwinter Nights slaughers the BG series in every way, shape, and form.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:50 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, everyone has different tastes so of course Baldur’s Gate isn’t to everyone’s liking. Personally I praise the series. I can’t think of any other games I’ve spend so much time on. I wouldn’t consider myself to be the most patient man alive. If I leave a game for too long, I probably won’t get back to it since there always seems to be another thing to catch my attention. This has never been the case with the BG series.

I never really played Wizardry and M&M since I have an issue with FPV RPG’s. I tried Wiz8. Used over an hour creating my party and started the game. It got off to a bad start with a fight against giant crabs. I simply can’t stand fighting stupid critters (IMO one of the only flaws in Fallout) but I kept going on until I meet yet another bunch of critters and the game was history. (Well, the turn based combat didn’t help either)

@ EverythingXen: I didn’t think they were that different so I find it strange that you think BG1 was terrible. Well, BG2 was better in every way but I would consider the experience quite alike.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:43 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Precisely... it was better in every way. I felt BG1 was *so close* but failed... then BG2 came out and I said "Ahhh... this is what was missing."

The NPCs. They had personality in BG2. The classes and kits were more interesting. The strongholds were fun. Most importantly... DEAD SPACE was mostly eliminated. There was so much empty space in BG... an hour tramping back and forth mapping a location to have nothing in it of note. In BG2 the space was used better.

The games played entirely different for me. Also, I liked Irenicus as a villain better than Sarevok (who was the best thing about BG... but even then...).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:50 am