Usergroups
I, Robot & Isaac Asimov
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I was looking at a standup for this movie. It says something like "forshadowed, hinted at, or predicted by Asimov". It does not actually say it is an adaptation of "I, Robot". Also, the newest trailer is very interesting.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:19 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

There are about 20 reviews on

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_robot/

Mostly quite positive. As if that matters, I am a cyberfreak and I'll watch anyways!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:49 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I'd watch it anyways because I'm a science fiction fan... that was a given. I missed Chronicles of Riddick, though... couldn't get anyone to go with me and I never go to movies alone.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:35 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I missed Chronicles of Riddick, though...

No you didn't... not really...

I'll probably see I, Robot soon, although I want to have read the book first.
Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:53 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I don't want to read the book first as it will likely utterly destroy the movie. If you read the book you will KNOW that this movie is based on the IDEAS of Asimov, not the BOOKS, and it will likely bug the living hell out of you while watching the movie.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:11 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I saw "I, Robot" yesterday. I thought it was a very good, introspective film. There was much less action than I expected. In fact, the previews made me think that it was an action film, but It wasn't really. It was actually just an exploration of the three laws using a cop struggling with his own inner demons, while investigating the death of an old friend, as the vehicle.

I've never read the I, Robot collection of short stories, but I did see the movie with a friend who loves Asimov. She explained to me that the screenplay, while it does make a few small references to some of the stories, is generally an original story that's more or less in the spirit of the original collection.

I thought Will Smith did his typical respectable job with the role. I thought it was the best work Bridget Moynahan from Sex and the City has ever done, and you just can't top Bruce Greenwood for creepiness value. Painfully handsome, yet sinister... you can almost feel the blackness in his soul.

If you liked "Dark City" then you'll probably enjoy "I, Robot". I you're expecting to see an homage to Asimov's collection then you should probably avoid this one. I doubt you'll be able to see past the references you feel the film lacks.

Don't forget that when Asimov opened up the Foundation Universe to other writers, one of the desires he expressed was to see fresh explorations of the three laws. I think the film version of "I, Robot" fills the spirit of this desire adequately. Also remember that the Asimov's collection of short stories was simply a vehicle to explore the three laws... much like this film. I suspect that's the reason the writers chose the name.
Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:44 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Killer movie. And, like Proyas previous flicks it has great visionary cinematagraphy. The Matrix stole it's look from both the Crow and Ghost in the Shell.

It is very faithful to the ideas in the Robot stories. And like I guessed, the movie sets itself up nicely for the later Robot Murder books. Action was probably 25% of the movie not 75% like the previews would have you believe.

Like the Crow & Dark City...it will not win awards...but it will earn cult status.

That makes 3 badass movies in a row from this director. Bring em on Alex!!!
Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:06 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I really enjoyed it. There was action, certainly, but there was a story in there too ... and the special effects were top notch. For completely digitally generated facial features Sonny's face showed an incredible range of emotion.

I wasn't dissappointed in the slightest. That was exactly all I hoped for.

Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:52 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Phew, after seeing the trailers I was pretty sure I didn't want to see it, because they were so very not I, Robot the anthology that I thought the man must surely rotate in his grave.

The mentioning of Dark City set it in a more positive light now, and when it has nothing more in common with The Crow than a certain darkish feel, I guess I'll see it after all once it hits pay my TV channel.
I utterly hated the Crow movie. Terrible acting, terrible characters, cheap story. Yes, I know it was based on a comic book, but there are better comic book adaptations around IMO. Besides, the Gothic scene style is a real turn-off for me - a circus clown sends more shivers down my spine than all tangle-haired, white-painted and badly made-up kids who think they are evil together.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:33 am
deamonprince
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Isaac Asimov's Short Stories

Having read two compilations of Isaac Asimov's work, I've found him to be an excellent writer, with ideas streaming from him articulated in the best possible way. His stories make you feel included in the world he's created, and that's no easy task for a short story. It's so hard to choose my favourite from the compendium, so I won't. I haven't seen all of The Crow, but I agree in that there are far better comic book adaptations out there. I haven't seen I, Robot, but will be back to comment on it when I do (get it on DVD).
Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:56 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2