Theatre in CRPGs / adventure games
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Theatre in CRPGs / adventure games

Just came back home from ballet performance and thought that I really like when there are some elements of theatre/opera/etc in computer games. I can immediately recall two titles with something of this kind: Baldurs' Gate 2 (I mean bard's stronghold - to stage a play) and Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within (the grand finale in opera - performance of the lost Wagner's opera. I loved this game and especially those last episodes).

Can you remember of more games (CRPGs or adventure/quests) with some elements of theatrical performance? I'm sure there's more, I just cannot remeber myself.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:24 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Uh...

Morrowind: Tribunal (the street-play in Mournhold).
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:46 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hehe, I remember in Ultima 7 when I, as the Avatar, tried out for the part of the Avatar in a play some actors were putting on about the Avatar's adventures. That was great! Too bad I was cut!
I thought it was a nice touch with the dialog the actors were practicing when you walked up to them:
"Name?"
"Job?"

Hilarious!

Also, in Ultima 6 there were some street performers just north of Trinsic if I remember right.

In Quest for Glory 5, your character gets to be a belly-dancer for about a minute. I nearly died laughing at that one.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:34 pm
Bach & Baroque
Village Leader
Village Leader

In Summoner, there's a corner in the Royal Crown district of the town of Lenele where they're putting on a pseudo-Shakespearean production of romance of tragedy. But the play is so horrible that the few audience members present are rolling in the aisles with laughter. The dialogue between the actors and directors is pretty funny. Well-written.

Man, that's a good game. Never seen so many unique NPC's in one game, that I can recall.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:22 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Indiana Jones 4 had a very brief theater scene. I don't remember what it was or how it related the game, but you had to push and pull some levers backstage..

Zork: Nemesis had no real NPCs but ghostly actors. And one-fourth of the game was a conservatory - entirely dedicated to music. You basically had to direct an orchestra.. after you've found out about the sheets, music, instruments and so on, of course.
Very nice game, if a bit hard. It was one of the first to feature surround sound.
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:29 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I should have remembered Trubunal myself, thanks

I never played Ultima 6 or 7, but it sounds like real fun though, thank you, Val.

I keep meaning to give Summoner a try, too many people were talking about it lately. Maybe I really should do it afterall.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:39 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

just after you leave trinsic in ultima 7 there is a small play thats put on for you... although its not great due to obvious technical restrictions

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:00 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

The only game that I know of that no one has mentioned so far is a console game: Final Fantasy 3 for the Super Nintendo (actually, the U.S. Super Nintendo version of Final Fantasy 3 was actually Final Fantasy 6 in Japan but several Final Fantasy titles never made it to the U.S. until much later so the titles were numbered differently in the U.S.--you can find Final Fantasy 3 for the U.S. Playstation now on the Final Fantasy Anthology).

Anyway, Final Fantasy 3 contained a long opera scene in which your characters actually sang in a way that advanced the storyline. The opera scene concluded in a huge battle. I played this game 8 or 9 years ago, but I seem to remember the entire opera scene and battle lasting around 15 or 20 minutes. It was very dramatic (at the time--although the graphics are quite primitive by today's standards).

I like both Console RPGs and CRPGs. Final Fantasy 3 is easily my favorite console RPG, in part because of the opera scene. It also had a mature storyline for the time it was released.
Post Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:27 pm