Usergroups
Starsky & Hutch
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Drake14
Brigadier General

Starsky & Hutch

It looks like a very funny movie, does any1 have any comments on the movie, i heard it's very funny.
Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:09 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, I found it very funny indeed!

It's very different from the series - the only real similarities are the character's names and looks, the car, the basic concept of Huggy Bear, and the setting. However, that's pretty much irrelevant - you don't go into a film like this looking for a perfect replacement of the original, you go looking for a good movie on the same lines as the original. And Starsky and Hutch delivers.

Ben Stiller is a perfect casting for their interpretation of Starsky - dedicated to the job, but rather naive. Owen Wilson isn't a great match for Hutch (bent copper, confident ladies' man) but he still does the job well. Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear is marvellous! A modern attitude in a retro setting, with an affinity for clothing more outlandish than anything you've likely seen before.

The jokes come in thick and fast, with a very memorable scene involving a pony. Stiller engages in a Zoolander-esque disco dance-off, which is great fun.

And the bad points? The ending is painfully cheesy, and the whole film is very predictable. If you imagine a remake of Starsky and Hutch starring Ben Stiller and involving a drug dealer, and wrote down a possible plot, you'd probably be pretty close. There are a few twists that would surprise you, but things proceed pretty much on-cue. But that doesn't really matter - the plot of a film like this is the background over which the jokes are laid. I personally wouldn't bother seeing it a second time (it's not an intellectual movie, it's a slapstick comedy) and I hope they don't make a sequel because it would just be unnecessary and embarassing.

Overall a very funny movie, and well worth seeing if the combination of comedy and a cheesy seventies cop show appeals to you.
Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:40 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

I thought it was pretty funny.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:30 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm guessing it's going to turn out like Charlie's Angels: Funny at times, predictable, and an overall okay movie. Kudos though for turning a crappy TV show into a movie (Charlie's Angels was a crappy TV show too).

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:17 am