Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What would make you to play Massively Multiplayer Games?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

What would make you to play Massively Multiplayer Games?

This question is mostly aimed to those who do not yet play MMORPGs. It can also be aimed to the old time MMORPG players who have seen it all and have gotten bored already (for oldtimers, the question could be, What would make you to do it again?)

The question, as wide as it is:

What would make you to play MMORPGs and to pay a monthly fee for doing it?
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:18 am
Vanderghast
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Internet for starters!

I have no net at home, i just surf at work(like i am right now). All i can get is dial up at home, and it only gets about 10k. Way to sucky to be worth paying for.

As for paying a monthy fee to play a game. I would have to try a free trail, of one before i invested money in one. And as long as they did not come up with these expansion packs every other month, that you have to dish out more money for to get new stuff in the game.

Quote the Gully Dwarf, Nevermore!
Member og the WWW
Member of the Non-Flamers Guild
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:32 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

An amazing world, not the same old fantasy stuff, with leveling up having to do with everything you do. It would be fun to have weapons mixed, like all sorts of guns, and cool swords and stuff, with magic in that mix too. And land and air vehicles, all this mixed with an exciting story will be worth a monthly fee. It will be VERY addictive.

P.S sorry if this coinfuses you
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:23 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

The world and my interaction with it will have to become much more diverse. There will have to be a LOT more interesting things to do besides just camp and kill creatures. Game manufacturers have pretended their worlds are "alive" and "changing" but all that really means is that they keep playing with the code trying to fix bugs, stop players from exploiting and trying to adjust the balance issues between classes of character types. That isn't very interesting very long for me. Oh, and they rely heavily on the player believing it is fun to pay to sit at home typing messages to other people in game - when I want to interact with other humans, I can do it MUCH more efficiently live or via phone.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:29 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Well, nothing will ever get me to interested in MMORPGS unless they manage to eliminate jerks and creeps. It makes no sense to me to pay a monthly fee in order to be exposed to exactly the kind of people that I try to avoid IRL!

I might be interested if there was an entire trade class where I could make goods to sell and buy loot from adventurers at a good price, then sell at a profit. It would be fun to only buy the items you want or know will be good sellers.

There would have to be controls on the other players, though. Stealing and bartering are part of business, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I was robbed now and then. However, being murdered by a sociopathic little creep so that they can ransack my shop after I spent all that effort building trade skills at the expense of combat skills just doesn't appeal to me. As long as it's possible for something like that to happen then my involvement is out of the question.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:33 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Greater accountability of the user base (both RL and abstract).

Primary purpouse is social interaction (non-combatant aspect).

Trully interactive world.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:53 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

i haven't play any MMORPGs, waiting/demand for:

1) cheaper & faster internet connection

2) free trail (can taste it first to decide whether suite my style)

3)reasonable subscription fee

4)great quality MMORPGs available

5)finding enough friends that have same gameplay style

Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:33 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
Well, nothing will ever get me to interested in MMORPGS unless they manage to eliminate jerks and creeps. It makes no sense to me to pay a monthly fee in order to be exposed to exactly the kind of people that I try to avoid IRL!

I might be interested if there was an entire trade class where I could make goods to sell and buy loot from adventurers at a good price, then sell at a profit. It would be fun to only buy the items you want or know will be good sellers.

There would have to be controls on the other players, though. Stealing and bartering are part of business, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I was robbed now and then. However, being murdered by a sociopathic little creep so that they can ransack my shop after I spent all that effort building trade skills at the expense of combat skills just doesn't appeal to me. As long as it's possible for something like that to happen then my involvement is out of the question.

Gig (and anyone else who feel the same - and you are MANY more than you think!), I suggest you take a look at A Tale in the Desert (http://www.egenesis.com). They are in Beta2 right now, but this game has promise for those who don't care for combat in MMOGs and are more "trading" inclined.

It's a very special game, there is no combat whatsoever, and the players must cooperate to create their own cities and the economy. Most especially, the players have a direct control over thepolitical facet of their region, and can vote on different things. It's a very interesting concept. Granted, it's not for everyone, but for those who want more of a game where interaction will be the focus then I have to say this will be it! Don't expect much out of the graphics though... They're not ugly, but they are simplistic.

By the way, I'm not testing this game and I just discovered it a few weeks ago. I don'T know a lot about it except that it will cater to a very specific market, and not a very large one I think. But the people that will flock to this game will be, in my opinion, more mature and relaxed than the crop you find in most MMOG. I suggest you give it a look
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:04 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Gig and anyone else who feel the same over the age of sixteen - There is one in production called Charr, there will be both PvP and non-PvP servers. There are language, L33t D00d, and religious language filters. There is also a server where people get banished to if they break the rules too many times, (Anarchy server where they can PvP constantly). The game will be rated M, so it sounds like they are really trying to eliminate the whole twelve year old punk factor, (not that all twelve year olds are punk but a lot of them on-line seem to be). Though while there will be trade skills, it doesn't sound like there will be much of a focus on them, which is too bad. But, that game is made for people to work together against an alien (NPCs) invader instead of against each other. Despite this they say that they planned for people to solo as well, and that one of the races you can be was specifically designed for soloing. So I’m really looking forward to that one.
And I found it on RPGDot!
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:56 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

RE: Charr

The concept art for charr is awesome, it is definately on my list of games to keep an eye out for.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:13 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hmm...

I'd play if I could hunt down the dirty scum who robbed Gig and return their ears for a bounty.

I think the theives would disappear quickly if everyone decided to become bounty hunters.
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:17 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sounds like Gig was playing UO.

I think in a perfect MMORPG there should be room for evil people but there should also be ways to protect people. Like people could join a type of city guard that would patrol the streets of cities where other people could build houses. And if someone managed to get past the guard and steal stuff from a house there should be a way to track what was stolen so if/when the thief was caught he would have to pay a fine or return what was stolen, or maybe put on a penal colony island that had a town or towns and dungeons etc. The criminal would have to stay their until he paid back what he stole, then he could be released back to the main land.

Hey, that's one hezmana of an idea I just had. It opens up the criminal world to MMORPG'ers everywhere. Possibly even jailbreaks.

I can be pretty creative if I just let it flow.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:03 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I've never played a game that I have to pay for after the initial fee. I'm not going to help contribute to the 60+ million dollar/annum game that is both addictive and an inferior product.

*Goes out for a pack of lite smokes and a swig of some "Froid Deer, 07 / 2002"*

Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:21 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Provis
Sounds like Gig was playing UO.

I think in a perfect MMORPG there should be room for evil people but there should also be ways to protect people. Like people could join a type of city guard that would patrol the streets of cities where other people could build houses. And if someone managed to get past the guard and steal stuff from a house there should be a way to track what was stolen so if/when the thief was caught he would have to pay a fine or return what was stolen, or maybe put on a penal colony island that had a town or towns and dungeons etc. The criminal would have to stay their until he paid back what he stole, then he could be released back to the main land.

Hey, that's one hezmana of an idea I just had. It opens up the criminal world to MMORPG'ers everywhere. Possibly even jailbreaks.

I can be pretty creative if I just let it flow.

I think Dragon Empires will have some of what you described. At least to a certain extent...
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:07 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sweet, really makes me hope I get into DE's beta. I'd love to be able to actually play a criminal.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:12 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next