Oblivion, Gothic 3 and NWN 2 - lool alikes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
rputran
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oblivion, Gothic 3 and NWN 2 - lool alikes

Looking at all the screen shots available for these games one is struck by the fact that all of them are beginning to look like each other. Inevitable to an extent I suppose. Which means that stroryline, atmosphere, music and gameplay will be more imprtant that eye candy is separating men from boys.

Whats your take?
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:13 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

well oblivion has all shiny when gothic has good stuff not like bolivion has like american solpopras.And about nwn havent seen enough scrs only 4
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:04 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, when they are all based on medieval settings, it's inevitable that they will start to look like each other. So, I think you have a point that other aspects of the game will begin to have a larger impact on how well they are recieved. Pretty water is nice and all, but I want some good gameplay to go with it.
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:52 pm
dadioflex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You could add the new Might and Magic game to that list.
Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:25 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Well, when they are all based on medieval settings, it's inevitable that they will start to look like each other. So, I think you have a point that other aspects of the game will begin to have a larger impact on how well they are recieved. Pretty water is nice and all, but I want some good gameplay to go with it.

I was thinking that the OP meant that the games are all being realized in full 3D environments and character models.

In that regard, yes they all look similar.

But the gameplay of each game is very different.

NWN's strengths are its strong tie to the D&D ruleset, the need for strategic and tactical planning before and during combat, and the ability to create mods.

Oblivion's strengths are it's highly free-form gameplay, exploration & discovery, complex NPC AI (Radiant AI still to be seen how effective it is) as well as the ability to mod (on the PC anyway).

Gothic's strengths are a strong narrative, great npc interactions (in terms of dialog & some NPC daily scheduling), exploration & discovery, and a somewhat interactive gaming world reminiscent of the Ultima series.

While each of these games share similar attributes (such as being rendered in full 3-D and in a fantasy setting), they each emphasize very different kinds of gameplay distinguishing each from the other.
Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:47 pm
Sly Boots
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I see what you mean, they do all kinda look the same - not that that's a bad thing in my book, though, when they all look that incredible. In fact, games are becoming so increasingly photorealistic, that it's no wonder they start looking alike - because they're looking more and more like reality! And when the environments are essentially the same (lush forests, medieval towns, etc.), well, we're getting what we ask for: gamers want medieval role-playing sweetness, and the designers - the good ones, anyway - are gonna give it to 'em.

But, the gameplay and styles and stories of each game is so different - or at least were - that I expect them all to be a fresh experience. Can't wait!!11
- Spinal Tap's Stonehenge
Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:18 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Those three games are the only thing I'm looking forward too in my life, and the only reason I'll upgrade my computer. There was Call of Cthulhu which I thought I'd be playing by now, but we won't go into that.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:33 am