Not much replay value
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Not much replay value

Hai ya ya! I've played Gothic as a Warrior and a Mage and I have to say... it's becoming stale.

There ain't really any difference. So you use uriziel as a rune instead, but that's about it. Same quests, same places, same people and orcs. The story's too linear and and no matter what camp or character you become... there's no diff. on the places you can visit, major quests etc. There's no multiplayer or online gaming.

This game is great only for first timers... and I guess second timers trying out all the fun cheats.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:34 pm
LaBaN
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I couldn't have said it better my self

But there are still a lot of people finding it amusing to play it over and over..
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:02 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

i love replaying! you can try playing from a different perspective. so instead of passing out the water to the peasants everytime you enter the camp, you kill the rice lord and the thugs. and stuff like that...
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:26 pm
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

Play as different campers. At least you get to have different armors and approaches in skills.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:34 pm
LaBaN
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Whatever you do, the story will still be the same, and that's a weak point.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:00 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by LaBaN
Whatever you do, the story will still be the same, and that's a weak point.

The designers of G2 acknowledge that fact and it is written in the official G2 website that they're trying to make the story as dynamic and non-linear as possible.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:01 pm
Gomez The Mad
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

If you don't feel like playing it again, there IS still something to do with Gothic. Have you ever seen what happens to a CD when you put it in the microwave for about 5 seconds?
No self control, he just lets his emotions go.
~The Definition of a Madman

=Member of the Flamers' Guild=
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:08 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Gomez The Mad
Have you ever seen what happens to a CD when you put it in the microwave for about 5 seconds?

No. I Haven't.

But since it is metallic coated I expect it'd react in a similar way to tin foil. Sparks will fly!

Depending on the chemical coat they used... the color of the flame will also differ.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:53 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Gothic's replay value is low... so what? The first time is beyond incredible. I think the story is only a weak point in terms of replay! The first time is through is the important one anyway.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:08 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

True. I went through a second time as a New Camp guy but stopped once I'd done the Oec Cemetary. I got a little more life out of the game by exploring the ethereal plane. As evidenced in my story. Very few people have done this,
but it is fun and different.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:14 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Hear, hear. Listen to ffbj, exploring is a lot of fun in G1, even IF the story is a bit linear.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:21 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

The story is linear, but it's actually a really good one. The barrier totally explains the confines of the finite world of Gothic, although it's actually big enough to be quite satisfying... or to get lost in.

Other stories either have some stupid wall or ocean and never explain why you can't get beyond the waterline, or building etc.

It'll be good to see how Gothic 2 handles this.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:29 pm
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

How about invisible walls. They are the most annoying.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:17 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've played through Gothic dozens of times, and even though it isn't as non-linear as Baldur's Gate 1-2, it is still a very good game.
There should've been 3 different ways to play the game(depending on camp), but I think the moneybads behind the game wanted it out as soon as possible, so we ended up with 1 story(seems like a combination of the sect/new camp story).

This is only a rumor I heard, but I think it's true.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:11 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
I've played through Gothic dozens of times, and even though it isn't as non-linear as Baldur's Gate 1-2, it is still a very good game.
There should've been 3 different ways to play the game(depending on camp), but I think the moneybads behind the game wanted it out as soon as possible, so we ended up with 1 story(seems like a combination of the sect/new camp story).

This is only a rumor I heard, but I think it's true.

Yeah. There seems to be a lot of rumors on quests which weren't finished and taken out in the final game because they couldn't finish it. Like that glowing thing in the middle of the swamp island. What's that about?
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next