Usergroups
Rome: Total War, one day in
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Is the construction and training system the same as M:TW, like however the city was modern, there is no difference in the needed time to construct a building.(I am not sure if this exists in Total war series, if not pla. remind me)
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:19 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

great game, just few things annoy me, hope you guys can help me out, thanks:

1) if you conquer a city, then how do you get the inhabitans to favour you??, i always have countless riots after getting a new province and even if i get order to 100-120%, then it always seems to start droping after some time, i build temples to keep people happy and i keep taxes average, but this doesnt help much.

2) how do you get the senate to favour you besides doing their tasks??

3) how do you become emperor??

thx

BTW, ive played with scipii and julii alot but ive never played with the brutii cause of their ancestors violent deeds, i just dont trust em .
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:39 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by kriksa

1) if you conquer a city, then how do you get the inhabitans to favour you??, i always have countless riots after getting a new province and even if i get order to 100-120%, then it always seems to start droping after some time, i build temples to keep people happy and i keep taxes average, but this doesnt help much.
When you capture a city, you have three options, it looks like you tooke the occupy city option, no? That will not work on large cities or cities with different culture. To see the real problem, you should press the build button, press the training button or double click on your city. Then click on the "show settlement details" screen and you will see the problems... if you can't figure out how to lower them, ask here again.

quote:
2) how do you get the senate to favour you besides doing their tasks??
Follow their policies in the senate-policy window, don't become too strong, don't win too much. Basically, don't become strong.

quote:
3) how do you become emperor??
When the people in Rome like you enough, you can attempt to start a civil war. If you try to declare war on the Senate or the other Romans before this, well, you can't do it. Then conquer Rome.

quote:
BTW, ive played with scipii and julii alot but ive never played with the brutii cause of their ancestors violent deeds, i just dont trust em .
Hah. the Brutii are the only 'true' romans! They were the ones who kicked out the monarchs, they have the 'real' politics and act like a 'true' roman. The Julii on the other hand... they simply suck.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:07 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

thx dzd, youre info helped me a lot and btw wuts squalor or sumting like that in the settlement details window??

thx man
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:34 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Squalor means that you live in a "filthy and wretched condition or quality". Which in game-play terms mean that health buildings like sewers, public baths and aqueducts (building who give a health bonus) will reduce it some. However, the largest factor to make squalor go up is, by far, how many people live in your settlement. When you reach numbers like 30,000 inahbitants, the squalor will sky rocket.

What do you do to reduce it? Well, I prefer two methods.

1. Give the city to your enemies instead of letting it revolt, move inside the city and 'conquer' it again the turn after you gave it away and you will get those three options again... I usually exterminate 'em. You basically only need people to be able to upgrade your governor palaces, and when you have the best one, you only need people to get an army. Extermination is the solution to everything!

2. Bilogical warfare. If you don't want to exterminate your popultaion you can always choose this option. Put a spy or something similar in a plague infected city. He will probably get the plague. Then move him to one of your cities and infect the city, they will keep dying like flies.

IIRC, 3/4 people will die in the city when you extermiante. If you have 20,000 inhabitants, you will have 5,000 left after an extermination.
When you sell the slaves, half of the inahibitants will be divided among your governed (with a governor) settlements.

Oh, and allways, ALLWAYS, remember to demolish your newly captured temples if they are not your own. You can't upgrade them, and some of the cultural penalty will be removed after a while as well.

Good Luck!
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:55 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by X-dANGEr
Is the construction and training system the same as M:TW, like however the city was modern, there is no difference in the needed time to construct a building.(I am not sure if this exists in Total war series, if not pla. remind me)

Yes, no matter what level of technology you have access to, a particular building will always take the same amount of time to build. Troops too - it will always take two turns to train wardogs, for example. Building repairs and unit retraining generally take fractions of a turn, so you can get several done at once - but I'm not sure what dictates how much gets done.

Here's a useful hint that I worked out this evening - if you have a city that seems to be mysteriously underperforming, take a close look at your Governor's traits. It's likely that he's an unpleasant sort and is frittering away all your money and alienating the populace. Send him off to guard your coldest and furthest-away fort.

Hint two: Islands are very, very cool. With a decent force sitting in the town, you're pretty invincible. The AI doesn't tend to land multiple armies at once, so you'll never be overwhelmed, and you can usually sally forth, destroy the invaders, and return home in a single turn - no need to worry about rebellions.

Hint three: Position a diplomat outside an enemy city and swap map information each turn - over time his influence will go up. Now stomp a huge army into one of the enemy's other cities and occupy it. Your diplomat is likely to be able to organise a ceasefire almost immediately, leaving you a city up! Wash, rinse, repeat.

Hint four: Retinues can be swapped between generals. Click on a square containing multiple generals (dismiss the city info window, if necessary) and right-click one of them. Drag and drop unwanted retinue members onto a different general portrait at the bottom of the screen. Seriously consider removing retinue from aging generals, to ensure you don't lose them.
Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

About the diplomat thing, i didn't really knew how ever to get some use from it, everytime i put a diplomat in an enemy territory, he is assaisaned and the matter ends, so much more as the religion supporter, what is the use????(I am talking about M:TW)
Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:49 pm
ScOut3R
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

It is a great game indeed!

I like the new campaign map. You have more freedom in strategic moves! The tactical side is the same old perfect Total War style:). The whole environment is perfect! The music, speeches, they're awesome!
I hope that this is not the last part of the Total War series!
Post Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:21 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I seriously doubt it will be the last one. The only game that beats it at this point is, not surpringsly, The Sims 2. They would be mad throwing away the "Total War" title.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:49 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Another tip I found useful... make sure you use your own assassins to kill all opponent diplomats. This has two benefits. First: it ensures that your armies/cities will not get bribed. Second: your assassins get a real boost to their skills. Last night, one of my assassins became +6 from only two diplomat assassinations. +6 is enough to have a 50+% chance on assassinating enemy spies in their own towns, which allows your spies to freely walk in without fear of being discovered!!!
Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:08 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

I got it yesterday, yes it is better the Medieval.

Two things i didn't ike though:

1)The no terrorities-movement thing makes exploring the map a lot harder, has anyone figured out a way to mak eit easier??

2)The population thing, i exterminated soem of the cities i occupied, how the hell can i increase it's population faster, i mean i need to get it to the next lvl to be capable of building/producing buildings/units, any answer??
Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:20 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
1)The no terrorities-movement thing makes exploring the map a lot harder, has anyone figured out a way to mak eit easier??

Well, fortunately your allies' shared vision means that their diplomats will discover a lot of the nearby cities pretty quickly. I tend to create a couple of spies and send them off in random directions to cover a bit more ground, and run a single bireme around the coast to work out where all the ports are.

quote:
2)The population thing, i exterminated soem of the cities i occupied, how the hell can i increase it's population faster, i mean i need to get it to the next lvl to be capable of building/producing buildings/units, any answer??

Drop the tax to nothing, queue up lots of buildings that improve population growth or decrease squalor, put a moratorium on the production of any units, and see if any of your governors have any useful skills.

I try to keep all my cities on this rapid-growth scheme until they hit 6,000 people, then whack the tax up to full and it's business as normal - screwing the populace for everything you can get.
Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:33 am
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

The most thing i liked is it's CD cover, it is great adn works as a pad too .
Post Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:56 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2