Mmorpg
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
RussiaN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mmorpg

Hello people of this forum, I am kind of new at this and i would like to ask a couple of questions if you guys don't mind. I heard that MMORPG stands for massive multiplayer online role playing game. (is that right?). I also heard that for most online multiplayer games you have to pay to play like everquest. I would like to know about some great new MMORPGs to play. Also i would like to know a MMORPG that u do not have to pay for and that is a desent game. Please post your suggestions.. I will be thankfull to all that do!
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:01 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Mmorpg

Hi and welcome RussiaN!

First of all:
quote:
Originally posted by RussiaN
Also i would like to know a MMORPG that u do not have to pay for and that is a desent game. Please post your suggestions.. I will be thankfull to all that do!

Forget it... it's been asked recently and we pretty much all came to the conclusion that as of right now there is nothing in that category (free MMORPG). Bandwidth costs money, and someone needs to pay for it.

Now, as for your other question:
MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game
Pay to play? - Yes! Expect to pay between $10 and $15 USD for any given MMORPG on the market right now.
MMORPG Suggestions - I'll go with established titles for now:
1) DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot)
2) Asheron's Call 2 (good for beginners, but DAoC is better)
3) Ultima Online (Never played it that much, but it certainly is established )
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:49 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well there is ofcourse Project Entropia, where you do not have to buy a box nor pay a monthly fee. However the money in the game is real money.

quote:
Project Entropia is free of charge, meaning that you don't have to purchase any boxed version or pay any monthly fees to join our virtual universe. Instead, Project Entropia will use a real economy system that allows you to exchange real money for a Project Entropia currency. This virtual currency is then used to buy any items you want inside the virtual universe. You will also be able to exchange the Project Entropia currency back into the real currency again. It's also possible to earn money by participating in Project Entropia. You will have the opportunity to create, find, trade and sell all sorts of items. You will also be able to perform actions, quests and adventures that may enable you to earn even more money. This is what makes Project Entropia one of the most innovative experiences in on-line entertainment.

The virtual currency is Project Entropia Dollars (PEDs) and Project Entropia Cents (PECs). The currency rate will be set at 10 PEDs = 1 US Dollar.

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:04 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim

Pay to play? - Yes! Expect to pay between $10 and $15 USD for any given MMORPG on the market right now.
3) Ultima Online (Never played it that much, but it certainly is established )

Everquest not established? Compared to those titles? Errr... is this the part where the wet noodles are brought forth?
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:53 pm
RussiaN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the warm welcome Ekim i appretiate that!
First of all:
quote:
Also i would like to know a MMORPG that u do not have to pay for and that is a desent game. Please post your suggestions.. I will be thankfull to all that do!

Forget it... it's been asked recently and we pretty much all came to the conclusion that as of right now there is nothing in that category (free MMORPG). Bandwidth costs money, and someone needs to pay for it.

3) Ultima Online (Never played it that much, but it certainly is established )[/quote]

I will take your advice and help .. ill try those games .. maybe start with asheron's call 2 ( as u said it was easier) and then maybe play the other ones.. but i still have a question : when u pay for any mmorpg , does the time count in days.. like from may 2 to march 2. or does it count in hours?.. please ost back and Thanx!
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:05 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Everquest not established? Compared to those titles? Errr... is this the part where the wet noodles are brought forth?

Hexy, I never said I would recommend *all* established games. The list would go on and on... Also, I personally never tried EQ, so I cannot recommend it (or advise to avoid it) so I usually just don't mention it. But yes EQ could be a valid option of course. Please don'T take offense because I didn't mention it

quote:
but i still have a question : when u pay for any mmorpg , does the time count in days.. like from may 2 to march 2. or does it count in hours?.. please ost back and Thanx!

Your subscription will be monthly, regardless of the game. So if you register on July 10th, for instance, then your monthly subscription would renew on August 10th. You don'T pay per hour, or depending on how much time you spend in the game. You can't play for 3 days, then cancel your subscription for 10 days, then come back and re-subscribe for another 3 days. You'll have freedom to play any time you want within the month you subscribed. Your subscription will end at the end of the month if canceled.

Also, you usually get a free month of play when you buy the game's box which should cost anywhere around $30 to $50 or so. After that free month you will be billed.
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:22 pm
RussiaN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
but i still have a question : when u pay for any mmorpg , does the time count in days.. like from may 2 to march 2. or does it count in hours?.. please ost back and Thanx!

Your subscription will be monthly, regardless of the game. So if you register on July 10th, for instance, then your monthly subscription would renew on August 10th. You don'T pay per hour, or depending on how much time you spend in the game. You can't play for 3 days, then cancel your subscription for 10 days, then come back and re-subscribe for another 3 days. You'll have freedom to play any time you want within the month you subscribed. Your subscription will end at the end of the month if canceled.

Also, you usually get a free month of play when you buy the game's box which should cost anywhere around $30 to $50 or so. After that free month you will be billed.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice man. i appreciate it... i will know more about mmorpg now. Thanx!
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:30 am
greyskull
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Welcome Russian! there are also a lot of mmo's that are comming out in to not so distant future.... Hoirizons, EQ2, Ultima X...... you should keep an eye on all of them also. I have heard some really good things about all of them. I think Horizons should be really fresh and different, that is the one I am most looking forward to at the moment.
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:15 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

quote:
Your subscription will be monthly, regardless of the game. So if you register on July 10th, for instance, then your monthly subscription would renew on August 10th. You don'T pay per hour, or depending on how much time you spend in the game

To add something to the above: some games offer discounts if you buy multiple months in advance. Atleast DAoC has this aswell as Eve Online. But of course, if you pay for 6 months and decide to quit after one month your money is lost. To my knowledge, no company offers refunds for unused (prepaid or not) time.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:48 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

these are the games i am gonna play soon, but are definately NOT FOR BEGINNERS; but you asked so here goes:

1) Darkfall Online
2) Dragon Empires
3) Everquest 2
4) Realms of Torment

i dig em, and thats all that counts.

and #1 newbie game of all goes to AC2. what a piece of garbage.
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:03 am