Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Worst & Most Embarrassing Game with dubious honor

Worst & Most Embarrassing Game with dubious honor
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/bestof2003/day3_2.html

The winner: DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball

quote:
Though you can make them play a painfully simplistic game of volleyball, most of the "game" is about buying bikinis for these girls to wear and watching them hop across a pool or just lounge around poolside, stretching and wiggling in a suggestive manner.

While we here at GameSpot aren't against the concept of poolside wiggling, the way it's portrayed in DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball is embarrassing to the point of disgust. Its dress-up, peep-show mentality comes across as just plain creepy, and just as people's perceptions about games as serious subject matter were beginning to change, something like this sticks out like a sore thumb. Games still have a long way to go, and softcore digital exploitation like this surely isn't helping to expand the market, regardless of its M rating.

It is stupid. It shows how far a company and money-making decision can go for a market that full with young male consumers. It's a disgrace for game industry and an insult to most gamer's mental health. It offers a shallow gameplay and contributes nothing in term of game innovation. It'll only unnecessarily attracts more attention from parent and institutions that opposing sex & violence in video game.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:28 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

It’s not stupid, because bottom line they accomplished what they were trying to. They made a game with little development that got a ton of free publicity, and in the end made a truckload of money. However I agree that it is insulting, but then I find it insulting when mindless TV shows or movies become hugely popular. Is DOA Volleyball's voyeuristic nature any different than that of “reality” TV shows like Survivor or the new one with the Hilton girl?
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:46 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

An interesting perspective. You'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence level of people it seems. You're correct Roach, they all appeal to the same market and they all make lots of money. No wonder I never have any!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:23 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

DOA: XBV is one of my favorite 2003 games. I had lots of fun playing it, still have, and I might say I really love it.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:24 am
corwin

OK, Jaz, we'll make allowances for your delicate condition!! Don't worry, you WILL recover, I'm sure!!!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:27 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I think I got it for last Christmas (oops, so it's actually a 2002 game! - No, wait, I've been thinking of DOA3, I got DOAXBV whenever it came out). Anyway, it was waaaay before my current condition. And I've been playing it since. It's incredibly relaxing, somewhat like a virtual vacation.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:33 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've always wondered about this one... when it was first announced, I thought it was a super-cynical, super-shallow non-game (cashing in on the selling power of virtual booty and using the name a decent, successful game series). But knocking up a few new costumes for the DOA girls and building an island and a lame volleyball game would have been a 3-month task for an accomplished developer like Tecmo. When they actually seemed to spending time on the development, and when a few favourable previews surfaced, I wondered if maybe they were actually making a decent game and not just a bouncing-boob engine.

Then I saw Edge's review, which said the game (a) was great, and (b) focused on the joy of playing rather than the competitive instinct, which (to me) sounds like a similar approach to Rez (a game I adore) and some of the better music-based games. And Jaz likes it. Personally, I'd say the opinions of Jaz and Edge carry a lot more weight than that of Gamespot.

But I haven't played it, so I can't judge. From what I've read & heard I think it's maybe not as shallow as it initially appears, but I'll never know for sure until I try it myself.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:04 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Also, I'm guessing that the Japanese market reacts differently to this sort of content.
Post Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:44 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Truthfully it is an embarressment.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:35 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I don't understand what's so embarrassing about it. Ok, I admit I've never played it and I probably never will, but why look down upon people who actually enjoy this type of game?

I enjoy watching scantily clad girls on the beach. I don't see anything wrong with that? Some people enjoy watching pixelated scantily clad girls on their computers/consoles. If that's what rocks their boat, why not? Personally I don't understand why people react so strongly as soon as there's the slightest reference to sex in a game...

And I am sure no girls were harmed during production either.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:06 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Did you say, "slight?"

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:33 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

There is no sexual content in DOA:XBV. Not even nudity. Not even with cheats. I played this game for about as long as Morrowind, and I got about the same level of fun from it.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:33 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

No sexual content except that you can zoom the camera in on, well, I think you know. It's a voyuer (sp?) game.

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:58 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

I knew that there were games of the most of sports but beach volley too?
come on...who bought that game?If I want to play football I do it outside my home!
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:36 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
No sexual content except that you can zoom the camera in on, well, I think you know. It's a voyuer (sp?) game.

This game is what you make of it. Just like every other game. And it's spelled 'voyeur'.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:43 pm